Boxer Kaew Wins Thai Hearts As The Country Is Outraged After He Is Denied Olympic Gold

webfact

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The coach knows the appeals process and am sure he knows it much better than posters here. Also protesting the point deduction would not have got his boxer to win even if in the rare event the protest was upheld. And there is about an absolute zero chance a protest on the judges decision would have been upheld. As for filing protest within 5-minutes, I believe this is incorrect and you simply have to make your intention of a protest be known within 5-minutes and then have 30-minutes to file the written protest along with a cash deposit that is kept if you lose the protest which is almost always the case.

But maybe I am wrong and there are those posters here who are wasting their time at their keyboard when in fact they should be coaches for Olympians.

and did he make it 'known' within 5 minutes...? NO

so, going by your logic, he did not appeal because he... what? lost??? I don't believe it - I think they simply screwed up and didn't appeal in time

also your 'absolute zero' is wrong as there have been a few occasions where appeals have been made and won - I saw one in the gymnastics where a girl was 4th and was appealed and raised to 3rd and a medal.

they didn't act and instead 'pretended' their boy had won by holding up his arm in some sort of mock 'we won, we won' instead of thinking 'this is a disgrace we will appeal'

Can you remember any details about the appeal with the gymnasts that we could look up the circumstances? I highly doubt an Olympic Committee would over rule judges opinion unless they made a technical error such as tabulating a score based on difficulty.

With all that could be gained by a player, coach and country by moving from Silver to Gold it would make sense for every coach to appeal any close match... but they don't. I can state with absolute certainty that a protest on the judges scoring would NEVER have been upheld in this case. A protest on the referees call / point deduction possibly (unlikely) but not on the Judges scoring in a situation like this ... if a Judge inaccurately tabulated scores that is one thing but another thing all together to over turn the judges view of the fight. In subjective matches where there is no single defined score such as a photo finish the judges are the judges ... maybe in the future they will use video and computers to tabulate things such as how far apart a divers or gymnasts legs are when doing a routine but until that day, the Olympic committee puts their trust in the judges.

I also have absolutely no doubt what-so-ever that the coach knows more about the appeals process than you or I and filing an appeal that you know you will lose and that results in the declared winner being delayed his Gold is not an emotional outburst but a very calculated way of being sportsman like .

I think, if you research this yourself, you will find quite a few different sports and events where scores and rankings were 'adjusted' after the event. Sometimes this affected progress to the next round, occasionally medals. Try boxing, fencing, equestrian, archery and gymnastics for starters.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

A look at the other side ... http://www.chinadail...nt_15670913.htm

Also found a comment interesting...

Zou said attacking the Thai was too risky, as the Olympic bout was too short to make any mistakes.

"I was so eager for victory and felt so much pressure, but I had to be patient and cautious," Zou said.

"The fight had only three rounds (at three minutes each), and I couldn't afford to take any risk while attacking."

They really should have these fights be longer than 3-rounds.

Zou is a disgrace to boxing. Never seen such a pathetic excuse for a fighter in 30+ years!

While I want to agree with you 100%, I really can't blame a guy too much for using his brains and the rules to win. Just like the teams who threw matches. These things should never be an option. The rules should be designed in a way to do everything possible to assure the best players / teams win. I have not followed the guy but from what I have read, he seems to be a very calculated performer (not boxer) and knows how to get the wins.

Very, very typical of many Chinese, and especially the government, which plays by no one's rules. Any act, any lack of character, any transgression is fine, it is results in a win. Sorry, but this is simply not the Olympic spirit. It is a Mayweather move. It is a cheap shot. It tarnishes sport in general. Winning is not everything. What about the means to the end? What about integrity? What about honor? What about sleeping at night, knowing you have done your best, and not used a hundred devices to win? This Chinese fighter was filthy. He may be a winner in the medal count, but he is a loser in my view. A sad sack of a man, when he has to resort to grappling, in a boxing match. What a loser.

I wonder why many Thais are outraged by alledged corruption leading to a loss in a gold medal, and not feel outraged when the country is constantly losing thousands of billions of baht every year to the same act of corruption.

The majority condone corruption if they believe it benefits them. Interesting is how some Thai articles alleged the Chinese boxer was better "connected" True or false, they seem to project their own "normal way of doing business" = bribery/corruption/connections to the rest of the world as if it is the universal norm.

• Like 1

Happens all the time in the oylmpics,people getting robbed of medals,unfortunatly it also happens in pro boxing,just look ak Manny Pacious last fight. what a disgraceful decision!!

Yes, exactly. This Chinese fighter is on the same level of Mayweather. He will do anything for a "victory". Where is the honor in that? A cheap win. This Chinese fighter was cheating the entire fight. The Thai gentleman was a picture of honor. He fought with his heart and soul, and never stepped over the line. Instead, his opponent stooped into the mud, and demonstrated his alligator heart, his crocodile soul, and his churlish spirit. Shame on him. Shame on China. China is the one government of the world, which embodies most the Mafia spirit.

Win or lose, you never act like that after the results are announced

Very poor loser

Not sure what is worse for Thai image

1- This boxer and his crying and actions on TV

2- Or some lady saying she is going to buy a fake rolex

I completely dissagree he has shown true spirit and fought like a LION his dreams shattered having won the fight and then due to a bad desision being told he had lost.

The judge was wrong and anyone who knows anything about boxing would agree.

Well done Kaew for winning and for showing true fighting spirit!!!

• Like 1

Not sure how anybody with any knowledge of sports competitiveness can say this Thai boxer acted even a tiny bit badly. His coach on the other hand did but even that was not that bad. As for sports and culture, they are two different things anywhere you go. How often do you see the police come out and arrest players for fighting each other on the field or a baseball player being arrested for assault with a deadly weapons for intentionally launching a solid object at somebody at 90mph?

I wish some posters could find another way to compensate for their inferior feelings and let this one topic actually be about an extremely talented young man who was born poor and rose up to represent his country at the Olympics in a way that both he and his country should be extremely proud.

I wanted to say that you are better educated than I am

+1

The coach knows the appeals process and am sure he knows it much better than posters here. Also protesting the point deduction would not have got his boxer to win even if in the rare event the protest was upheld. And there is about an absolute zero chance a protest on the judges decision would have been upheld. As for filing protest within 5-minutes, I believe this is incorrect and you simply have to make your intention of a protest be known within 5-minutes and then have 30-minutes to file the written protest along with a cash deposit that is kept if you lose the protest which is almost always the case.

But maybe I am wrong and there are those posters here who are wasting their time at their keyboard when in fact they should be coaches for Olympians.

so, going by your logic, he did not appeal because he... what? lost??? I don't believe it - I think they simply screwed up and didn't appeal in time

also your 'absolute zero' is wrong as there have been a few occasions where appeals have been made and won - I saw one in the gymnastics where a girl was 4th and was appealed and raised to 3rd and a medal.

they didn't act and instead 'pretended' their boy had won by holding up his arm in some sort of mock 'we won, we won' instead of thinking 'this is a disgrace we will appeal'

Can you remember any details about the appeal with the gymnasts that we could look up the circumstances? I highly doubt an Olympic Committee would over rule judges opinion unless they made a technical error such as tabulating a score based on difficulty.

With all that could be gained by a player, coach and country by moving from Silver to Gold it would make sense for every coach to appeal any close match... but they don't. I can state with absolute certainty that a protest on the judges scoring would NEVER have been upheld in this case. A protest on the referees call / point deduction possibly (unlikely) but not on the Judges scoring in a situation like this ... if a Judge inaccurately tabulated scores that is one thing but another thing all together to over turn the judges view of the fight. In subjective matches where there is no single defined score such as a photo finish the judges are the judges ... maybe in the future they will use video and computers to tabulate things such as how far apart a divers or gymnasts legs are when doing a routine but until that day, the Olympic committee puts their trust in the judges.

I also have absolutely no doubt what-so-ever that the coach knows more about the appeals process than you or I and filing an appeal that you know you will lose and that results in the declared winner being delayed his Gold is not an emotional outburst but a very calculated way of being sportsman like .

Yep here it is - you're wrong

and you think he was 'sportsman like' by crying in the ring and his coach holding up his arm as the 'real' winner'?????? give me a break - they thought he WAS the real winner yet DID NOT APPEAL not because they were 'calculating being sportsman like' but because they were dumb and slow to react according to the RULES which they probably did not know:

Better late than never may just be Aly Raisman's favorite new phrase.

The U.S. women's gymnast today added another two medals to her haul: firstly, as the new Olympic gold medalist for the individual floor exercise competition (yay, Ali!) and as a new bronze medalist after appealing her fourth-place finish on the balance beam.

The latter turnaround came after it once again seemed bronze had slipped from her grasp, when judges reevaluated her scores from the nail-biting competition and ultimately raised her execution points, thus placing her ahead of Romania's Catalina Ponor, who had previously placed third. Ironically, the same tie-breaking rules that cost her bronze in last week's all-around earned it for her in today's event.

EDIT: another appeal won:

China's gymnasts stormed to the men's team gold at the Olympics on Monday while Japan lodged a last-gasp appeal to walk away with silver ahead of Britain on a dramatic evening at the North Greenwich Arena.

Two days after finishing a lowly sixth in qualifying, China pulled themselves together to retain their title with a score of 275.997.

Japan were in second place going into the final rotation but appeared to have dropped out of the medals when triple world all-around champion Kohei Uchimura, the last man to compete, completed a messy dismount from the pommel horse to draw a low score from the judges.

That sparked loud celebrations among the British fans as it meant their team had finished second, with Ukraine third.

Japan, however, lodged an appeal against Uchimura's score and all eyes turned to the giant screen above the arena as gymnasts, fans and media waited for news.

For nearly 15 minutes, officials huddled in deliberation before announcing that Uchimura's pommel horse score had been increased by 0.7 points, bumping Japan up to silver medal position, 0.241 ahead of Britain who were demoted to bronze.

The Thais did not appeal (which I think they could well have won): case closed

Edited by binjalin
  • Like 2

Boxing: The art of attack and defense with the fists. Not the body, or the arms, or the legs (running away).

Boxing should be dropped and Ultimate Fighting put in its place.

The olympics (small O) has always been a sham in any sport where a judge gets to decide who wins.

Lets bring in the Octagon. I am all for sports where the participants decide the event (faster, stronger, etc.) I would like to see a judge overrule an opponent tapping out because he has no where to run. You cannot defend yourself in the Octagon. You either fight with everything you've got, or get the crap beat out of you.

There are no Chinese fighters worth mention in this sport. The Chinese haven't figured out how to beat someone like Chuck Liddell, because you cannot cheat in this event.

Yep here it is - you're wrong

and you think he was 'sportsman like' by crying in the ring and his coach holding up his arm as the 'real' winner'?????? give me a break - they thought he WAS the real winner yet DID NOT APPEAL not because they were 'calculating being sportsman like' but because they were dumb and slow to react according to the RULES which they probably did not know:

Better late than never may just be Aly Raisman's favorite new phrase.

The U.S. women's gymnast today added another two medals to her haul: firstly, as the new Olympic gold medalist for the individual floor exercise competition (yay, Ali!) and as a new bronze medalist after appealing her fourth-place finish on the balance beam.

The latter turnaround came after it once again seemed bronze had slipped from her grasp, when judges reevaluated her scores from the nail-biting competition and ultimately raised her execution points, thus placing her ahead of Romania's Catalina Ponor, who had previously placed third. Ironically, the same tie-breaking rules that cost her bronze in last week's all-around earned it for her in today's event.

EDIT: another appeal won:

China's gymnasts stormed to the men's team gold at the Olympics on Monday while Japan lodged a last-gasp appeal to walk away with silver ahead of Britain on a dramatic evening at the North Greenwich Arena.

Two days after finishing a lowly sixth in qualifying, China pulled themselves together to retain their title with a score of 275.997.

Japan were in second place going into the final rotation but appeared to have dropped out of the medals when triple world all-around champion Kohei Uchimura, the last man to compete, completed a messy dismount from the pommel horse to draw a low score from the judges.

That sparked loud celebrations among the British fans as it meant their team had finished second, with Ukraine third.

Japan, however, lodged an appeal against Uchimura's score and all eyes turned to the giant screen above the arena as gymnasts, fans and media waited for news.

For nearly 15 minutes, officials huddled in deliberation before announcing that Uchimura's pommel horse score had been increased by 0.7 points, bumping Japan up to silver medal position, 0.241 ahead of Britain who were demoted to bronze.

The Thais did not appeal (which I think they could well have won): case closed

Aly Raisman won a technical appeal based on the fact they scored her wrong based on difficulty .. an exact example of an appeal I said can be upheld.

Uchimura appeal also on a technical issue of being given the wrong points (deducted for not making a dismount when in fact it should have just been penalty points as per the rules). Again something based on defined rules and not a judge's opinion. There was no question she landed on her feet.

I really don't have the time to go through each of your examples that prove exactly what I said but why not show just one example in all Olympic History where an appeal overturned a declared winner based on the judges view of the game. Just one example where they went back through tape and counted punches landed and over ruled the judges. As I said, they may have, though unlikely, won an appeal on the ref's penalty call but this would not have changed the winner because it would not have made up the point deficit. Bottom line is an appeal on the judges scores would have NEVER been one. But please feel free to speculate how you are more smarter than the coach who has experience filing appeals and dealing with the Olympic Committee but if you want to give an example, give one that relates to what I said.

Unfairness is never a problem for the Thais until its directed at them by foreigners.

If a business Thai gets ripped off overseas you want to hear them bleat about it.

No thought for the ferangs that are systematically ripped of in Thailand on a daily basis!

Don't give it, if you can't take it!

Correct. Farang rule, and Thai will always be slave to Farang.

Is this the correct interpretation?

It may have been an undeserved loss. But what was a crying shame, was the way the Thai- delegation treated the winning Chinese boxer like a piece of dirt!

You are doing sports? You are in a final? Chances are, you might loose it!

It maybe undeserved, it may be wrong...but that is how it is!

Beat him so clear that 1,2 or 3 points for the guy do not matter and you are going home with gold.

You can't- bad luck! (or if you are Thai: someone cheated you!)

Congratulate the winner (it was not HIS fault!) and GROW SOME BALLS! (...the boxer...AND Thailand!)

So basically you are expressing your anger and ranting (7 exclamation points) over something you were not at all involved but are slamming a guy and others, being personally involved, for showing their emotions after this fighter spent most his entire life training for a moment in sport which he reached but then was almost certainly robbed of the ultimate recognition for his efforts.

Do I have this about right?

Edit - after an appeal, I have recounted and there are 8 exclamation points plus I over looked the 5 words all in caps. You still don't get the Gold but are still in medal consideration wink.png

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

It may have been an undeserved loss. But what was a crying shame, was the way the Thai- delegation treated the winning Chinese boxer like a piece of dirt!

You are doing sports? You are in a final? Chances are, you might loose it!

It maybe undeserved, it may be wrong...but that is how it is!

Beat him so clear that 1,2 or 3 points for the guy do not matter and you are going home with gold.

You can't- bad luck! (or if you are Thai: someone cheated you!)

Congratulate the winner (it was not HIS fault!) and GROW SOME BALLS! (...the boxer...AND Thailand!)

So basically you are expressing your anger and ranting (7 exclamation points) over something you were not at all involved but are slamming a guy and others, being personally involved, for showing their emotions after this fighter most his entire life training for a moment in sport which he reached but then was almost certainly robbed of the ultimate recognition for his efforts.

Do I have this about right?

IMHO, it is so obvious that the Chinese bought his gold medal.

Day light robbery it was.

Thailand should consider recall our ambassadors in China (Mark's race) and UK (Mark's country of birth).

Edited by SuneeTH

Unfairness is never a problem for the Thais until its directed at them by foreigners.

If a business Thai gets ripped off overseas you want to hear them bleat about it.

No thought for the ferangs that are systematically ripped of in Thailand on a daily basis!

Don't give it, if you can't take it!

Correct. Farang rule, and Thai will always be slave to Farang.

Is this the correct interpretation?

Its the wrong Egocentric Thai interpretation you put on it - actually I am referring to all foreigners including in this case the Chinese!

I watched the replay. Bad officiating. However, I've seen at least one Thai boxer in 2008 Olympics who used a similar groping/flopping method to win. No Thais complained then.

The worst call was when the ref penalized the Thai boxer 2 points in the closing seconds. A completely unjustified call. However, even without that call, the Chinese boy would have won by a point.

show just one example in all Olympic History where an appeal overturned a declared winner based on the judges view of the game.

what a very, very silly post (as I would expect) we are discussing WHY they did not appeal (which the rules allow) IF they felt the judges had not called it right - there is scope for appeal and review as with Aly where the judges got it wrong and they reviewed the tapes. They could have reviewed and counted up the points and 'may have' had a different result on a 'technicality' as in Aly's case. I.e. they counted it wrong - 'maybe' we don't know because your coach was crying and putting up the hand of 'his ' fighter.

I have given the exact example in two cases but trust you to twist them into something else other than APPEALS which won their athletes a medal - or do you believe he did not win? is this what it is about? just be honest because you seem VERY defensive of the Thai management team but then you always post through 'Thai rose colored glasses' as we know from numerous other threads - Thais can do no wrong!

I think, if you research this yourself, you will find quite a few different sports and events where scores and rankings were 'adjusted' after the event. Sometimes this affected progress to the next round, occasionally medals. Try boxing, fencing, equestrian, archery and gymnastics for starters.

exactly but this poster will never 'get it' as he's hopelessly, totally and blissfully 'in love' with Thailand as evidenced by the many run-ins on other threads where he always displays this 'unconditional love' laugh.png

show just one example in all Olympic History where an appeal overturned a declared winner based on the judges view of the game.

what a very, very silly post (as I would expect) we are discussing WHY they did not appeal (which the rules allow) IF they felt the judges had not called it right - there is scope for appeal and review as with Aly where the judges got it wrong and they reviewed the tapes. They could have reviewed and counted up the points and 'may have' had a different result on a 'technicality' as in Aly's case. I.e. they counted it wrong - 'maybe' we don't know because your coach was crying and putting up the hand of 'his ' fighter.

I have given the exact example in two cases but trust you to twist them into something else other than APPEALS which won their athletes a medal - or do you believe he did not win? is this what it is about? just be honest because you seem VERY defensive of the Thai management team but then you always post through 'Thai rose colored glasses' as we know from numerous other threads - Thais can do no wrong!

As I understand the coach is not Thai. I also didn't twist anything but you gave examples of Appeals that I made clear were legitimate appeals that had a technical or real aspect that could be appealed and not how judges scored based on what they saw. As said too many times an appeal might have won regarding the point penalizing but this would not have changed the fight results but there is absolutely no way you are going to win an appeal in boxing based on the judges scoring based on their judgement unless they violated rules. I am willing to accept i am wrong if you can provide one case where such an appeal one in boxing and not as I mentioned a number of times other competitions where scoring is totaled wrong based on things like a difficulty multiplier or where you can look at a photo to see who crossed the line first. You don't need to provide a bunch, just one link to where a boxing match was appealed and won on judges decisions where the judges didn't violate the rules and simply called the fight as they saw it ... again I could be wrong and there having been boxing matches were they went over all the video from different angles of the entire fight to recalculate the points and over ruling the judges but I have just never heard of such a thing and if there was I believe every single close fight would end in an appeal.

As I understand the coach is not Thai. I also didn't twist anything but you gave examples of Appeals that I made clear were legitimate appeals that had a technical or real aspect that could be appealed and not how judges scored based on what they saw. As said too many times an appeal might have won regarding the point penalizing but this would not have changed the fight results but there is absolutely no way you are going to win an appeal in boxing based on the judges scoring based on their judgement unless they violated rules. I am willing to accept i am wrong if you can provide one case where such an appeal one in boxing and not as I mentioned a number of times other competitions where scoring is totaled wrong based on things like a difficulty multiplier or where you can look at a photo to see who crossed the line first. You don't need to provide a bunch, just one link to where a boxing match was appealed and won on judges decisions where the judges didn't violate the rules and simply called the fight as they saw it ... again I could be wrong and there having been boxing matches were they went over all the video from different angles of the entire fight to recalculate the points and over ruling the judges but I have just never heard of such a thing and if there was I believe every single close fight would end in an appeal.

Many appeals - this one successful - you are wrong and far too quick to open your mouth and you should now AGREE the Thais should have appealed IF they thought they won fairly and the judges were wrong - IF not they should shut up and take it like your goodself

Eyebrows were first raised last Wednesday when Azerbaijan fought Japan.

The Azeri bantamweight Magomed Abdulhamidov won the match despite going down six times in the final round.

After an appeal by Japan the decision was overturned. The boxer from Azerbaijan was out, the Japanese fighter reinstated and the referee was on the next plane home to Turkmenistan.

There were at least a couple of other appeals - but not by Thailand thumbsup.gif

Edit: more confirmation

The Azeri was inexplicably awarded a 22-17 decision by the five judges, which was changed to a third-round stoppage win for Shimizu after an appeal.

Edited by binjalin