Here Is My New Yamaha Road Star 1700, 2007 Model.

dagling

Nice bike, congrats on the buy.

Not to be a killjoy, but there was a big clampdown (or series of extortions) in Isaan (particulary around Udon and Northern Isaan) around 2 or 3 years ago. Around xmas time I iirc. I think it was a gang of BKK 'Police' that were respsonible. Big bikes taken if the owner wasn't connected, then up to them to buy them back.

Do a search on google as I'm sure it's all still there.

I remember one guy on about some head of the gang wanting to take his Thai made, fully legal Kawa until he and one of the lower guys explained that it's even made in Thailand, never mind sold legally. :)

Edited by cbrer

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes poanoi, I am with you.

But dagling "saved" about 80.000 Baht and he told us, that the police take 200,- Baht and a smile.

For 80.000 Baht they must stop him 400 times.

Or is it possible, that they took one day the whole bike and dagling has to buy a new one with a Green Book?

Or just one accident (I don't wish it to happen) and then he'll be paying X times more than 80,000Baht due to lack of insurance. And i still don't buy insurance companies selling coverage on bikes without greenbooks, even if they did they would never payout..

But back to the bike, i think it looks great and take extra care when riding until it's fully legal, not that i expect you to ride like and psycho once legal or anything biggrin.png

Edited by karlos

But dagling "saved" about 80.000 Baht and he told us, that the police take 200,- Baht and a smile.

Or is it possible, that they took one day the whole bike and dagling has to buy a new one with a Green Book?

Or just one accident (I don't wish it to happen) and then he'll be paying X times more than 80,000Baht due to lack of insurance. And i still don't buy insurance companies selling coverage on bikes without greenbooks, even if they did they would never payout..

But back to the bike, i think it looks great and take extra care when riding until it's fully legal, not that i expect you to ride like and psycho once legal or anything biggrin.png

They are more likely to pay out on an insured but unregistered bike than a registered bike with insurance but ridden by someone without a Thai license! Surprising how many people I meet that ride/drive without a Thai license but that isn't frowned upon anywhere near as much as an unregistered bike. Hypocritical if you ask me!

• Like 1

They are more likely to pay out on an insured but unregistered bike than a registered bike with insurance but ridden by someone without a Thai license! Surprising how many people I meet that ride/drive without a Thai license but that isn't frowned upon anywhere near as much as an unregistered bike. Hypocritical if you ask me!

Too true, I didn't mean too sound harsh with my comment and i have been keeping an eye on Dagling's growing collection of bikes and his kilts :)

• Like 1

enjoy your bike mate and be safe.

as for HD's I personally don't like them for various reasons but each to their own.....but they do affect me in an undesirable way, they are extremely noisy, I remember going out on a ride with several HD's in the group and couldn't sit behind any of them because of the noise and also felt embarassed driving through sleepy villages making such a huge din, for that reason I don't like even like riding with them

as for HD's I personally don't like them for various reasons but each to their own.....but they do affect me in an undesirable way, they are extremely noisy, I remember going out on a ride with several HD's in the group and couldn't sit behind any of them because of the noise and also felt embarassed driving through sleepy villages making such a huge din, for that reason I don't like even like riding with them

That's a very strange opinion! I am guessing the village kids on their hopped up stripped out bone bikes aren't likely to hang with you either!

They are more likely to pay out on an insured but unregistered bike than a registered bike with insurance but ridden by someone without a Thai license!

Really? I've heard and read of the opposite.

Back home not having a license is a major offense and if you have an accident then the insurance is N/A and you're completely screwed.

Here I've read of people (Westerners) having accidents, not having a license, and the the only repercusion of not having a Thai driving license is having to pay the 400b or whatever fine, insurance is still applicable.

Feelings are mutual I'm sure.wink.png

A bike will be at risk of being confiscated after new directives if it isnt registered,

you knew that before you bought it.

Recommend a motorcycle dealer who has maintained a large fine and Cruiser bikes in Pattaya' date=' where one does not require imagination prices. Is looking for Yamaha Drag Star 1100CC. or Yamaha Roadstar 1600/1700cc.

It goes without saying that the bikes MUST have 100% legal Green Book.

Please attach a map (google map) or equivalent, or address as I am not so well known in Pattaya;-)

Thank you for helping a Isaan manPosted Image [/quote']

Having other big bike riders become instant friends...well except for some Harley riders (I think they are jealous).

Enjoy smile.png

555... They pay to much money, for less funlaugh.pngcheesy.gif

Just dress like a pirate and they will be nice.

A bike will be at risk of being confiscated after new directives if it isnt registered,

you knew that before you bought it.

Recommend a motorcycle dealer who has maintained a large fine and Cruiser bikes in Pattaya' date=' where one does not require imagination prices. Is looking for Yamaha Drag Star 1100CC. or Yamaha Roadstar 1600/1700cc.

It goes without saying that the bikes MUST have 100% legal Green Book.

Please attach a map (google map) or equivalent, or address as I am not so well known in Pattaya;-)

Thank you for helping a Isaan manPosted Image [/quote']

According to another forum the new rules come into effect in November and there is a huge backlog of people trying to get their bikes registered ,it could be a very happy Christmas for the bib with many new bikes for them.

Having other big bike riders become instant friends...well except for some Harley riders (I think they are jealous).

Enjoy smile.png

555... They pay to much money, for less funlaugh.pngcheesy.gif

Just dress like a pirate and they will be nice.

OK, how about like this?

post-63954-0-97122300-1349716769_thumb.p

Or do you think it needs a hat?

post-63954-0-48078400-1349716801_thumb.j

Road Star vs. Fat Boy Comparo

"If we had to spend our own cash, for $10,699 we'll take the Yamaha, thank you. It's a torque monster that makes for a great all-day cruiser as well as a bit of a hooligan bike with the appropriate lose nut sitting in the saddle."

"While Harley has been trying for years to smooth out the vibes on their motors, Yamaha has engineered some "pulse" into their motors so they don't feel so homogenized and the bike has the sort of character that is uncommon for a Japanese cruiser."

http://www.motorcycl...paro-15646.html

Ok, as a long time Harley rider, but one who also appreciates the Japanese bikes for the smoothness and power, let's at least get something straight.

Harley has not been trying to smooth out the engines. As a matter of fact they have a patent on that sound and forced Yamaha to stop building a model with similar "technology" back in the 90's.

A Harley engine has what's called a single pin crank. For you mechanic types, that means that both rod ends are attached to the same journal on the crank. Smooth sounding engines have those crank pins offset to offer smoother power.

Being a 4 stroke, and each cylinder firing only every other revolution, the Harley therefore fires both cylinders on the same revolution, and then loafs for one complete revolution. The Japanese bikes on the other hand fire one cylinder on each revolution, and each cylinder still skips the revolution that the other cylinder fires on.

It's this single pin crank, and skipping firing on one complete revolution that gives Harley a sound almost like a miss, especially at idle.

Also therefore, Harley must rely on torque where other bikes build horsepower. A stock Harley will outpull a similar twin pin crank bike in the low RPM range - not that this matters much once up to road speed.

Harley is old technology and the basic engine design is from the 1930's. They pride themselves in their almost antique like ways and sounds. Of course the newer ones since 1998 - 1999 have electronic ignition and fuel injection.

Another point. Harleys are built in the US by union workers and that costs money. They do take great pride in their chrome and paint work.

Frankly, I see Harley suffering as the so called baby boomers (those born between about 1946 and 1966 after WWII) get too old to ride. That is Harley's core demographic. The younger guys seem to like the Japanese bikes even in the US where you also hardly ever see a Triumph.

Speaking of Triumph, do you know why the Brits don't make television sets? They haven't figured out how to make them leak oil. smile.png

marilyncopy-1.jpg

FrontfaceSmaller700a.jpg

Edited by NeverSure

"Neversure: Another point. Harleys are built in the US by union workers and that costs money. They do take great pride in their chrome and paint work" It's pretty common knowledge that many Harley parts are made in China and shipped to USA for assembly. So the pride the workman take is possibly of the effort put in by foreign workers, not themselves. whistling.gif

"Neversure: Another point. Harleys are built in the US by union workers and that costs money. They do take great pride in their chrome and paint work" It's pretty common knowledge that many Harley parts are made in China and shipped to USA for assembly. So the pride the workman take is possibly of the effort put in by foreign workers, not themselves. whistling.gif

You are right about that, although this is a fairly recent happening. Harley does it similar to what Nike does. They don't just buy from China. They go there and supervise everything themselves and then return a high quality product to the US at high prices and make a killing.

As an aside, I was in a Harley dealership not too long ago and I could find nothing made in the US from leather. Harley jackets, chaps, boots, vests, etc. have always been a big deal to the riders, and they've always been expensive. Too expensive. Yet all of the jackets, vests and chaps were made in Pakistan and all of the boots were made in China. They still wanted a fortune for them. I passed.

All of the metal work, important chrome work and especially all of the paint work is still done in the US and Harley's finish work is still second to none. The engines are built in the US.

Edited by NeverSure

You are right about that, although this is a fairly recent happening. Harley does it similar to what Nike does. They don't just buy from China. They go there and supervise everything themselves and then return a high quality product to the US at high prices and make a killing.

As an aside, I was in a Harley dealership not too long ago and I could find nothing made in the US from leather. Harley jackets, chaps, boots, vests, etc. have always been a big deal to the riders, and they've always been expensive. Too expensive. Yet all of the jackets, vests and chaps were made in Pakistan and all of the boots were made in China. They still wanted a fortune for them. I passed.

All of the metal work, important chrome work and especially all of the paint work is still done in the US and Harley's finish work is still second to none. The engines are built in the US.

You maybe right, but I think the Polaris bikes (Victory) are as good or maybe a little better. I would imagine now that Polaris have the Indian badge they will be as good as or better than Harley or Victory. Those Victory engines are well designed and made.

You maybe right, but I think the Polaris bikes (Victory) are as good or maybe a little better. I would imagine now that Polaris have the Indian badge they will be as good as or better than Harley or Victory. Those Victory engines are well designed and made.

I agree. In fact I think that mechanically some of the Japanese bikes might be "better" than a Harley although it's normal for a Harley to go at least 100,000 miles without issues.

However, there is a certain cache' that goes with owning a Harley that I can't explain. As I said before, it mostly is important to what we call the baby boomers - those born between 1946 and 1966. As they age and stop riding, I'll be curious to see what happens to Harley.

I ride Harleys because I like them. I like the sound from the single pin crank, and frankly I like the fit and finish and the styling of the classic models.

CopyofDSC00163small.jpg

CopyofDSC00143Small.jpg

CopyofDSC00168small.jpg

Edited by NeverSure

Another thing that's extremely popular with baby boomers due, I think, to nostalgia is a Schwinn bicycle. Not for serious riding, but for collecting and casual riding. Again, I wonder what will happen here as the boomers age and go away? Right now these will sell like hotcakes on Ebay, and bring good money. I have about 40 of them, all original and unrestored.

The green one is a 1960. The coppertone one in the front is a 1965 which is the newest I have, and the others are 1959 models.

Again, I can't explain it but no other brand will do for US boomers.

KGrHqFjcEuIWHWBQJqJh8l60_57.jpg

Jags650-1.jpg