6 Months Left On Passport

I am coming over oct 3 and my passport will be 2 days less than 6 months left till expiration. I am planning to go to Vientiane Laos and get it renewed there while I am in town Think this will be an issue at immigration? or with the airline? thanx

You have 2 months to renew it it now....surely its easier/cheaper in your own country to renew...why take the chance, not like you havnt got enough time. What part about 6 months is so hard to understand...5 months 28/9 days, isnt 6 months is it.

Edited by PattayaPhom

Airlines subscribe to a service called Timatic, when they enter your details or scan your passport it will give the check in agent a warning and the airline will not accept the liability of you being denied entry, they will not allow you to board.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

Don't take the chance, you have lots of time to get a new passport.

If the op does not have a valid visa for Thailand or a ticket out within 30 days (if going for visa entry exemption) then he may be denied boarding by the airline.

There is currently no requirement for 6 month passport validity for entry to Thailand. For entry to Laos there is, I believe.

As for getting a new passport in Laos, will depend on op's embassy requirements as to how long it will take. Get a new passport before you leave is good advice.

If the op does not have a valid visa for Thailand or a ticket out within 30 days (if going for visa entry exemption) then he may be denied boarding by the airline.

There is currently no requirement for 6 month passport validity for entry to Thailand. For entry to Laos there is, I believe.

As for getting a new passport in Laos, will depend on op's embassy requirements as to how long it will take. Get a new passport before you leave is good advice.

vi_de.gif Thailand (TH)in_on_no.gifPassport required.- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid for at least 6 months upon arrival. - Nationals of USA can enter with passports and/or passport replacing documents valid for the period of intended stay. Passport Exemptions:- Holders of emergency or temporary passports.

There is no requirement for a 6 month validity of Passport when entering Thailand.

The law states that the Passport must be valid for the length of stay.

However to enter Laos the Passport must be valid for at least 6 months so you will not be able to enter Laos.

OP please post your country and residence and I'll ping Timatic & check if there is a red flag. Thai law wont be an easy sell to a check in agent, they are dependent on the computer.

Unless the terms and conditions of the airline ticket state that you need a minimum of 6 months left on your passport, then they have no grounds to not let you on a flight to a country that only needs your passport to be valid for the length of your stay. I would sue them if they refused to let me on the flight in those circumstances.

But in the OPs case they seem to have plenty of time to renew the passport, so not sure why they are trying to make life difficult for themselves. But we don't know their nationality of their exact circumstances.

Edited by davejones

I am a USA resident and citizen, and want to get it in Laos cuz you get double pages for the same price and 10 days return, here in the USA its mail it off, 6 weeks, or pay $60 more for expidited service, so if I have 6 months left exactly (Oct 1) or a couple days more not less and an appointment to get the passport in VTE I should be OK? or I gotta do it now, thanx for the help

I am a USA resident and citizen, and want to get it in Laos cuz you get double pages for the same price and 10 days return, here in the USA its mail it off, 6 weeks, or pay $60 more for expidited service, so if I have 6 months left exactly (Oct 1) or a couple days more not less and an appointment to get the passport in VTE I should be OK? or I gotta do it now, thanx for the help

You can get the same passport service at the US embassy in Bangkok.

Edited by ubonjoe

Hi all, sorry to "hijack" this topic but...

I'm Dutch, have a non B visa and a workpermit (both plenty of time left on it), passport is valid till 12/12/12.

I'm planning a week trip to Hong Kong early September and afterwards I want to apply for my new passport in Bangkok at the Dutch embassy.

(other way around wouldn't work since I will up to 3 weeks to get the new passport)

I know already that it is possible to enter Hong Kong with at least 1 month left on your passport but now my question: Will it be a problem to enter Thailand?

Cheers...

For Thailand it is no problem, if you return before the 12th of September. As with a valid visa you will be stamped in for 90 days and your passport must be valid for that period.

Unless you are not on a visa but have an extension of stay, valid till 12-12-12. Then you can just return any date before the passport expires (and have enough time let to apply for a new one). But don't forget the re-entry permit.