Staying In Thailand For Min 2Yrs. Need A Cheaper Alternative To Travel Insurance

sikishrory

im staying here in thailand for at least 2 years and after that am thinking of getting a new visa to stay another year or 2 if things go to plan.

i've been here 6 months already and the plan from the start was to just buy 4 month blocks of travel insurance with world nomads.

a few months ago when opening a thai bank account (bangkok bank) i was offered insurance for 1000baht for a year. i said no as she sort of just blurted it out and i had no idea what it covered. theres a english written list of there policies on there website http://www.bangkokba...es/default.aspx but it confuses the hell out of me.

i have a non-imm visa but am not working and have no work permit so that probably has some affect on things as well.

also i dont imagine many of these local insurance policies cover sending your remains home if you die and things like that.

can anybody point me in the right direction or recommend something for me to look at. im hopeless when it comes to things like this and i want to get it sorted before this insurance expires in october.

by the way im paying around $240 AUD per 4 months with the world nomads insurance im on now.

thanks

Consider life insurance if you are worried about retrieving your remains and if you have a family member back home that you can trust to nominate as the beneficiary in the knowledge they would do the necessary out of proceeds. If you are younger single life policies can be quite cheap.

Doesn't answer the repatriation-if-you-are-very-sick issue though. That's not going to be cheap for a long stay. Medical insurance without the repatriation is available in Thailand, but insurance that actually pays out is likely to be in the small tens of thousands of bahts per annum rather than a few thousand.

There is a lot of good life insurance in Thailand. But, believe me, life insurance is not the answer for you unless you are only concerned about your dead body.

If you are more concerned about coverage for medical treatment, there is one Thai-based health insurance company that will give you the option of med-evacuating you back home for treatment if that is what you want. And, you don't need a work permit or special visa to apply.

There is a lot of good life insurance in Thailand. But, believe me, life insurance is not the answer for you unless you are only concerned about your dead body.

If you are more concerned about coverage for medical treatment, there is one Thai-based health insurance company that will give you the option of med-evacuating you back home for treatment if that is what you want. And, you don't need a work permit or special visa to apply.

what company might that be?

• Like 1

Health insurance which would include repatriation will be much more expensive than travel insurance. However be careful of you are using travel insurance for a long term stay as if you are deemed to be living in Thailand on not just travelling, the travel insurance may not respond.

1000 baht per year insurance will be a very basic low-limit personal accident policy.