Pattaya To Kanchanaburi By Motorbike -- Best Route

Thailaw

We are planning a trip by motorbike from Pattaya to Kanchanaburi. Obviously, the toll roads are out. Has anyone done this trip before and can recommend a good, scenic route that can be taken by motorbike? Getting there quickly is not an issue, but roads less traveled by heavy trucks and speeding cars would be a plus. Avoiding Bangkok city is the plan. Recommendations for short side trips/detours worth taking will also be appreciated. Thanks for any help/direction.

Bangkok sucks for bikers. traffic, toll roads off limits reguardless of what kind of bike you ride as well as many bridges. Add to that poor or limited signage in English and very few you can ask for help or directions.

last time I went up highway 3 and found a small ferry that was taking people on motorbikes across near the bridge. All by luck. May be dumb luck, but it was fun

Thanks, KRBKK. I was thinking south of BKK, but your way looks a lot more interesing and scenic. I assume that the trip to Kanchanaburi cannot be easily done in a day (correct?), but we are not really in a rush. Cheers,

TL

Go to Google Maps (English)

Top left corner click on 'Get Directions'

Point A...Enter............ Pattaya

Pont B ...Enter ...........Kanchanaburi....then click on 'Kanchanaburi Railway Station'

Underneath Point B......click on 'Show options'

Tick the box.................'Avoid tolls'

Click 'Get Directions'

Takes 6 hours on a bike and it does avoid the traffic in Bangers..........or buy a Garmin SatNav for bikes

my recommendet road is a scenic road with low traffic und good roads.

if you will pass bangkok on the south, you have to use many KM's on Sukhumvit und also a lot of cityroads - terrible and stinking

I use this road also on my trips from BKK (near Suwanphumi) to PTY - a very relay ride

and all the time I go to Khao Yai, I use this road south of Khao Yai

If I come back from Kanchanaburi trip, always I have to pass the City roas from Nonthaburi and Bangkok North

I need more time as from Kanchanburi to Bangkok and with the Harley you have to wait in the traffic stop, stinking and hot

next time I will use the road via Suphanburi and Khao Yai South

it will be 50% more km but you can ride in shorter time and without the big traffic

Pattaya-Chaochengsao-Minburi-Pak Kret-Bang Bua Thong-Kanchanaburi. There`s a fair bit of traffic between Minburi and Pak Kret at certain times but it`s no problem on a bike, and once you`ve crossed the river it thins out. You could even do a small detour, park your bike up and jump on the ferry (very cheap) for the 2 minute crossing to Koh Kret and have lunch there. The islanders are Mon.

Pattaya-Chaochengsao-Minburi-Pak Kret-Bang Bua Thong-Kanchanaburi. There`s a fair bit of traffic between Minburi and Pak Kret at certain times but it`s no problem on a bike, and once you`ve crossed the river it thins out. You could even do a small detour, park your bike up and jump on the ferry (very cheap) for the 2 minute crossing to Koh Kret and have lunch there. The islanders are Mon.

Thanks. Your route sounds pretty good. I may try your way going and KRBKK's route coming back (or vice versa). Thanks to all who responded with suggestions -- it should be a great ride!