Drunken Swede Goes Beserk On Flight To Thailand

sriracha john

Drunken Swede went Berserk on Flight to Thailand

2006-01-23

ScandAsia News

A 44 year-old Swedish man reeked havoc onboard a Thai Airways flight carrying over 400 passengers, forcing the plane to turn back to Stockholm.

Not long after take-off in Arlanda airport in Stockholm, a heavily intoxicated Swedish man created chaos in the air by hitting and kicking everyone around him. Eye-witnesses report that the half-naked but fully drunken Swede attempted to get into fights with anyone nearest to him, until the crew members and fellow passengers managed to hand-cuff him to a seat. The jumbo jet carried more than 400 passengers – many of them Norwegians on their way to spend some vacation time in Thailand. But the captain of the Thai Airways flight discerned that the drunken Swede – even after being hand-cuffed – was jeopardizing the safety of the passengers, and thus he decided to turn the plane around and fly back to Stockholm after one hour’s flight.

Heavy Hangovers

Today, the man wakes up heavily hung over – both physically and soon-to-be financially. According to the Swedish media, the 44 year-old man can expect a demand for compensation of more than one million Swedish Kroner (5,198,783 baht), should the Thai authorities choose to file a civil lawsuit against him. In addition to this, he will know that he caused a minor environmental catastrophe, since the captain of the plane had to empty 60 ton of fuel in the ocean north of the island of Gotland in order to follow the safety regulations for landing in Arlanda airport. On top of this, the man managed to wreck the beginning of more than 400 people’s vacation, since the plane eventually got back on its wings with a total delay of over five hours.

Americans, British, French, Germans, Italians and now Swedes. They all have proven that they are unable to handle their liquor.

An Australian could have consumed triple or quadruple the amount of alcohol that this Swede had and still be sober enough to perform brain surgery. :o

half-naked but fully drunken

I love it when i am like that,,,,,!!

Americans, British, French, Germans, Italians and now Swedes. They all have proven that they are unable to handle their liquor.

An Australian could have consumed triple or quadruple the amount of alcohol that this Swede had and still be sober enough to perform brain surgery. :o

Do australians have brains to perform surgery on? :D

Performing brain surgery on an Aussie , isn't that micro surgery ? :D:D

There is lot to be said for DRY airlines.

Mind you it might not have helped here, as he seems to have drunk his

fill before he boarded.

Perhaps a breathalyser at the air bridge would be in order?

Performing brain surgery on an Aussie , isn't that micro surgery ? :D:D

:D:D:D

Presumably,only on a fellow Australian?

The funny? thing is that according to swedish newspapers the guy was on his way to LOS to get married.

Thanks for that Lars.

Do the press there say anything more about the guy or what the guy has said, if anything, about the incident?

Is he in a position to pay the million krona, if it gets to that point, mentioned in the OP?

Edited by sriracha john

"...the guy was on his way to LOS to get married."

So did the party go on without him you wonder? :D

Quite a memorable beginning for the happy couple! :D

I hope any of the passengers assaulted press charges. :o

We don't need that kind of thuggery onboard any airplane. :D

~WISteve

The funny? thing is that according to swedish newspapers the guy was on his way to LOS to get married.

Now that is enough to drive anyone to drink. He may have actually saved himself some money by not marrying the Ying ... even after paying the million krona

His family told the newspapers that he was on his way to start a new life, getting married, buying a house...

The guy himself has early pension because of medical reasons and comes from a small place out in the sticks. That's about all I've found in the papers but the thing about starting a new life; guess he'll have to make new plans.

Thank you Lars for the follow-up.

:o

Early pension for medical reasons?..

Hmmmm..... I wonder if he'll claim to be on the same medication the British Embassy attache was taking when he had HIS bit of air rage. It proved to be a successful defense for the same type of drunken, rowdy, violent behavior onboard a plane at 35,000 feet in the air and several hundred people's lives at stake...

:D

If he doesn't have the same success, I think he can look forward to spending his "new house in Thailand" money for something other than it's intended purpose.

Edited by sriracha john

A lot of Swedes do have a problem holding their liquor, I think mostly due to the difficulty buying it in normal shops in Sweden.

We see them come across to Copenhagen and completely stoned out their mind. :o

Edited by sonthaya

Thank god I have never experienced that kind of behaviour, even though I have been flying quite a lot. I think I would get pretty p"#¤%d off, if I was on my way to LOS, and some guy (and a swede!!sorry Lars) made the plane go back!!!

Reminds me of a story on BBC a while ago about some french woman, who desperately needed a cigarette on a long-haul flight, and went to open the door so she would'nt disturb any of her fellow passengers!!! :o

As for the swedes....years ago you could find them lying absolutely wasted on the pedestrian street in Copenhagen (hence all the jokes about swedes in Denmark, I guess) in the weekend. It doesn't really happen anymore...I actually think there might be more danes going off to malmo in the weekend than swedes coming to denmark....just an impression, might be wrong. maybe they all just went to LOS...

somkid

Drunken Swede went Berserk on Flight to Thailand

2006-01-23

ScandAsia News

A 44 year-old Swedish man reeked havoc onboard a Thai Airways flight carrying over 400 passengers, forcing the plane to turn back to Stockholm.

Not long after take-off in Arlanda airport in Stockholm, a heavily intoxicated Swedish man created chaos in the air by hitting and kicking everyone around him. Eye-witnesses report that the half-naked but fully drunken Swede attempted to get into fights with anyone nearest to him, until the crew members and fellow passengers managed to hand-cuff him to a seat. The jumbo jet carried more than 400 passengers – many of them Norwegians on their way to spend some vacation time in Thailand. But the captain of the Thai Airways flight discerned that the drunken Swede – even after being hand-cuffed – was jeopardizing the safety of the passengers, and thus he decided to turn the plane around and fly back to Stockholm after one hour’s flight.

Heavy Hangovers

Today, the man wakes up heavily hung over – both physically and soon-to-be financially. According to the Swedish media, the 44 year-old man can expect a demand for compensation of more than one million Swedish Kroner (5,198,783 baht), should the Thai authorities choose to file a civil lawsuit against him. In addition to this, he will know that he caused a minor environmental catastrophe, since the captain of the plane had to empty 60 ton of fuel in the ocean north of the island of Gotland in order to follow the safety regulations for landing in Arlanda airport. On top of this, the man managed to wreck the beginning of more than 400 people’s vacation, since the plane eventually got back on its wings with a total delay of over five hours.

44 years old and still hasn't grown up!