Checking File System On D:

Shot

That is what I get when I fire my HP up, followed by:

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.

Windows will now check the disk.

To skip checking, press any key.

If I press any key, the computer works fine. I do get a pop up once XP has loaded that reads. “Low Disk Space. You are running out of disk space on HP RECOVERY (D) To free space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here… If I click that, it just shows that (D) is at 98%.

If I don’t press any key, I get:

Volume serial number is 3EC6-2E70

Windows is verifying files and folders…

If I let it check disk, it does nothing for about 2 minutes, then I get a black screen. I have waited several hours and nothing happens.

This all started after I attempted to backup the system.

So, how do I fix this without losing anything. It’s an HP Pavilion, and it came loaded with XP, so no original XP disk.

Thanks in advance,

Shot

It depends what kind of backup system is in use. I would suggest trying to modify the settings of the backup to include fewer file/folder locations, as it may be that the drive it is trying to save the backup to is not big enough to hold everything it is trying to backup. Is there a difference in size between the C and D drives?

Alternatively, it may be retaining multiple backups over time which has led to it now being full. You could try deleting older unwanted backups from the D drive, which would allow it to write a fresh one.

Edited by OxfordWill

yea, it sounds like you turned on backup with little space left on the drive to begin with...then the backup filled it to capacity...

run this utility: http://support.wdc.c...&sid=3〈=en/ ... it will come up with a "SMART" status. assuming this is okay, go ahead and do the quick test and long test and see how that comes out. if any of the tests fail, it means you need to get your data off the drive asap...

if the tests run fine, clean your disc up...if windows is failing to do it, then get rid of all the crap by running ccleaner (http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER) .. go through the checklist and make sure you understand what's being cleared... and/or move stuff off of your full drive to another partition or to an external drive....

turn off backup and turn on system restore if it isn't on already...

then reset and see if the disc checking succeeds...

Edited by happysanook
  • Like 1

Good information.

I’ll give that a try.

Thank youwai.gif

sorry, forgot to mention chkdsk while windows is already booted... (start -> run -> "chkdsk").. let us know how it turns out...

run chkdsk d: You probably directed the backup to D: D: drive on the HP is a restore partition. So be careful what you delete.

• Like 2

Good information.

I’ll give that a try.

Thank youwai.gif

sorry, forgot to mention chkdsk while windows is already booted... (start -> run -> "chkdsk").. let us know how it turns out...

run chkdsk d: You probably directed the backup to D: D: drive on the HP is a restore partition. So be careful what you delete.

I ran chkdsk d: and it seemed to be fine, the small black screen came up, flashed some info very quickly and closed. I also downloaded

http://support.wdc.c...&sid=3〈=en/

and ran that. The fast check of C and D passed, the slow check did not. It said “too many bad sectors” or something pretty close to that. It is correct that I had directed a backup a few months ago to D: and that is when the problem started. I don’t think there is anything physically wrong with the drive, just too much crap on it. So, how do I get into D? When I try, it comes up with a picture of a lock, and basically says not to mess around in there. I also ran Ccleaner, but it still does the same thing.

Thanks again for the help

Shot

Edited by Shot

go to "my computer" -> right-click on the drive you want scanned -> tools tab -> SELECT "automatically fix file system errors" -> SELECT "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" -> start scan... it should prompt for a reset assuming it's the system drive.... this will take a long time, but should mark your bad sectors as unusable..

i would get all of your important data off the drive. once sectors start to go bad, the problem usually grows...

• Like 1

go to "my computer" -> right-click on the drive you want scanned -> tools tab -> SELECT "automatically fix file system errors" -> SELECT "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" -> start scan... it should prompt for a reset assuming it's the system drive.... this will take a long time, but should mark your bad sectors as unusable..

i would get all of your important data off the drive. once sectors start to go bad, the problem usually grows...

Ok, I'll give that a try for now, but sounds like I should replace the drive. It's a laptop, so not too sure I should do it my self.

I really appreciate all the help. I had Googled the problem, but the list of ideas was endless, so I came here. Glad I did.

Sincerely

Shot.smile.png

• Like 1

Is better to change the HDD...

1.- It's easy you need few tools than you can buy in wherever electrician shop around thailand.

2.-You can check in google how much hdd you can put in your laptop but 500gb will be ok in 99% of the laptops.

3.- A internal harddisk is a quite difficult to find but you can buy a external hardisk almost every where, in tesco o big c or local it shops you can find external hdd (laptop size of course xD), the western digital and buffalo branchs are easy to open. I recomend you the buffalo MiniStation 3.0, its very easy to open is usb 3.0 and have two led indicators, the blue is when work in a usb port 3.0, green when work on a usb 2.0, the box you will use with the old/bad hdd

1573814193_250086448_o.jpg

4.-So with the tools and the external hdd, you can check videos like these http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A0oGdVGo1zZQgC8AxlpXNyoA?p=change+hdd+hp&fr=&fr2=piv-web only you need to add your model into the search and find a good 'how to do it"

5.-Format and install the new OS (this should be easy or difficult depending of your experience)

6.-Put your old/bad into the external hdd box and get your files into the new system.

7.-If you have problems with some important files you can use sowftware like "unstoppable copy" so you can get all the data that is possible to read from the bad/old hdd.

when you finish the backup of the old/bad hdd you must do a low format, not the quick format, the process can take few hours depending of the size/speed of your old hardisk. After that you can still use it to store movies or music or another stuff that you will not miss, since with the time more and more sectors will start to fail.

Some tip to take care of all your HDD is that the hdd have a magnetic field that with the time lost the polarization that is the reason of the bad sectors... to keep the polarization in a good level you need to read write all the bit of your hdd, do a defrag one time at the month keep your hdd healthy and your system file faster.

I recomend you defragler it's from the same creators of ccleaner http://www.piriform.com/download

• Like 1

Ok, I'll give that a try for now, but sounds like I should replace the drive. It's a laptop, so not too sure I should do it my self.

I really appreciate all the help. I had Googled the problem, but the list of ideas was endless, so I came here. Glad I did.

Sincerely

Shot.smile.png

it could be just an isolated case of a few bad sectors, and so the scanning for bad sectors will help and possibly you won't run into any more issues...it will tell the OS not to use those bad areas of the drive...but often it means the drive is on the way out... this isn't a big deal until it becomes a hassle (ie, keeps crashing or causing other problems with stability) OR if you work with a lot of important documents you don't want to lose...

so, for now, run the bad sector scan and save your important data to an external drive ...and/or, you can use Sugarsync , which will give you 5gb of free space to sync your data to the web. not only does this backup the important stuff you choose, it gives you a way to easily access and share your files/photos/documents from anywhere that has internet... and also gives you version history, for example if you modify a document and save over it, but then realize you need something from the old version, sugarsync will have your last 5 versions of the picture/document/file.

• Like 1