Khaen Help

TheGhostWithin

Hi all,

I am currently in New Zealand, away from my friends, of which I would normally go to their villages up country to learn to play the Khaen.

In July I went to Roi Et, and bought a Khaen. It was partially damaged by a lovely person on the way back to Auckland, after he just dumped his bags on top of it (he was the last passenger, the guy they were calling over the intercom to hurry up because he was delaying the flight).

I am trying to play a B note on my Khaen, though no sound is coming out. Have checked the obvious and confirmed nothing appears to be blocking the reed. Can anyone ask their wives, or brother in laws, or maybe you know personally, if it is normal that no sound will be emitted when playing a b note alone on a Khaen? I hope this is normal and the lovely late passenger did not ruin what I traveled for 16 hours in total to pick up..

Hamish

Difficult for me to explain, I am not expert (and not native English) about this but you can read what they explain about Kaen (Northeast reed organ) in the link below, then see other link (you tube) how to play Kaen but it is in Thai.

http://www.ksanti.net/free-reed/essays/khaenlaos.html

http://youtu.be/nbykSZCJAxM

P.S. on youtube, yellow or orange colour for left hand, blue colour for right hand and I think to play note B you need to put your pointer finger (left hand) on the second hole + your middle finger (right hand) on the fifth hole.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Thank you for your time CMBE, I have managed to find tuition now from a top Khaen player, who is helping me out via skype. I will also look to do more on my next trip to Isaan, and maybe find some classes at the university or something in which I can take part in.