Transvestites, Women Warned Against Sex Trade In Mideast: Thai Embassy Official

webfact

PROSTITUTION

Transvestites, women warned against sex trade in Mideast

Nantida Puangthong

The Nation

30188981-01_big.jpg

MUSCAT: -- Many Thai male cross-dressers get legitimate jobs in Oman as masseuses but choose to also offer sexual services on the side, a Thai embassy official in Muscat said.

Panida Somao said the laws in Oman were very strict and only men were allowed to work at massage parlours for male customers.

"But some Thai transvestites have exploited these laws and also offer sexual services," she said, adding that many of these men came to Oman before undergoing the sex-change operation.

"Many of them work in Oman to earn enough money to finance this operation," Panida said. "Those who have already undergone the sex-change operation want to save money for cosmetic surgery so they can enter beauty pageants."

She said a Thai transvestite usually charged Bt2,000 to Bt5,000 per hour for services in Oman, but this comes with huge risks.

"When they get sexually transmitted diseases, they can't go see a doctor because the society here is not open about this," Panida explained.

She added that last year, two Thai transvestites had to seek help from the embassy because they needed urgent medical attention.

In Bahrain, another embassy official warned Thai women against choosing the wrong path for the sake of money.

Thatree Chauvachata, counsellor at the Thai embassy in the Bahraini capital of Manama, said several Thai women willingly headed to Bahrain in the hope of making money from prostitution but usually ended up living in hell.

"They lose all their freedom and have to serve all sorts of people arranged by their agents," he said.

He was speaking after Bahraini authorities recently arrested 10 Thai women on charges of prostitution. Of them, three have been released because they were victims of human trafficking, while the remainder confessed that they had decided to enter the flesh trade for money.

"Many of those who entered the trade willingly regret their decision," Thatree said.

He said those willing to join the sex trade could choose the Bt300,000 or the Bt500,000 package before entering Bahrain.

The package, he said, covered their air tickets and assurance that they can pass through the immigration procedure. The more expensive package includes a work visa that can allow them to work legitimately as a waitress or hairdresser, he said.

"After these women land on Bahraini soil, they have to stay in premises provided by their agents. They cannot touch the money or leave the room until they have paid all the expenses of the trip," Thatree said.

He said that though these women can earn about Bt3,000 to Bt4,000 per hour, it would take them about six months to repay all their debts.

"They have no choice and have to serve customers who have different sexual needs or taste," he said, adding that these women also risk legal punishment.

As per him, six Thai women are serving jail in Bahrain over prostitution charges, while some 16 others are awaiting court trial on the same charges.

The three women found to be human-trafficking victims were allowed to board a flight to Thailand from Bahrain yesterday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-24

I feel sorry for the women who are genuine victims of human trafficking, but not for the women who deliberately go to a country where prostitution is known to be illegal, I am sure that if Oman was under a stricter form of Islamic rule these women would be facing a gruesome execution, not just imprisonment.

Edited by TomTao
  • Like 1

women who deliberately go to a country where prostitution is known to be illegal

As in Thailand?

For all intents & purposes, not really:

"The law defines prostitution as any act done to gratify the sexual desire of another in exchange for money or any other benefit, but only if it is done “in a promiscuous manner”. The Prostitution Law does not define what exactly a “promiscuous manner” constitutes, and the act of prostitution by itself is not outlawed anymore, while solicitation is. The crime of solicitation is vaguely defined.

"A person soliciting the services of a prostitute is liable under the Prostitution Law if the solicitation is done “openly and shamelessly or causes a nuisance to the public”, the penalty being a fine of up to 1,000 baht.[11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Thailand#Legal_situation_and_history

After living in Saudi Arabia for 10 years and traveling in other Persian Gulf countries one must realize that woman are on the bottom of the social scale. Most likely the man's camel would get better treatment...and when you think of a "TCN" (an Arab's word for third country national class) there is no fair treatment. Yes,many locals claim to be practicing their religion faithfully; yet, it is just meeting the rituals, not practicing it from their heart.

• Like 2

Agree with KerryD - I spent over a decade working in the Mid east and yes, $75 -100 USD was the going price in Dubai for a short time. I left there in '96. At that point there was a large influx of Russians & Ukrainians, we generally lumped them under the heading "ex-Black Sea port military hookers". I've heard since that the Chinese were also moving into the market.

Oh yes, the sex trade is still alive and flourishing in the mideast.

I actually found the following quote the most odd, in terms of the journalism...

"Those who have already undergone the sex-change operation want to save money for cosmetic surgery so they can enter beauty pageants."

Major article on the ins and outs of prostitution in Oman - and one of the main motivations, as researched by the journo, is to save up money to... enter beauty pageants??

Seems rather odd.....

• Like 1

I actually found the following quote the most odd, in terms of the journalism...

"Those who have already undergone the sex-change operation want to save money for cosmetic surgery so they can enter beauty pageants."

Major article on the ins and outs of prostitution in Oman - and one of the main motivations, as researched by the journo, is to save up money to... enter beauty pageants??

Seems rather odd.....

Well it may seem odd to you, but that is really a key motivation for ladyboys to earn a truck load of money so they can eventually get a spot on the Alakarn Show. Perfectly normal.

The price of these surgeries is very high.

Edited by pattayaorganic

Where do they get these journalists?...3000 to 4000 baht an hour..I have never been there but i doubt it....and AS per him..What do you mean Nantida?

You've got to remember that the world is not populated by arse out of their pants poor farangs and in many, many, many countries US$95 - US$130 an hour for the services of a young professional sex worker is cheap.

I have no sympathy for the Thai men who go there to work in the sex industry. I am sure they are well aware that cross dressing and homosexuality is ilegal in islamic countries. A crimial offence that carries the death penalty. The guy in the photo (victim) hardly even looks like a woman (an unattractive one).

Edited by softgeorge

And what about the hundreds (maybe thousands) Middle Eastern men (probably using fake ID) who go to Pakistan, pay the parents of a 14 year old girl (to purportedly marry), then take her to an apartment, screw her for a week or two, then leave her pregnant and crying, and go back to the holy land.

Edited by maidu

VOMIT, VOMIT, VOMITbah.gif

I guess we don't have to worry about you all coming to Thailand and having a bisexual experience as a result of lady boys eh? Reference that other very popular thread.

Well definately won't have to worry about me stealing your ladyboys. Pass me the bucket quick.

Sorry but is there a transvestite in the article's picture?

It was actually 45-old Thai national Mrs Inthira Sinsakkho, who was arrested on charges of luring Thai girls to go work in Bahrain under false pretences. They thought they were going to work in some sort of legitimate job there, but when they got there, they suddenly found they were forced to work as prostitutes to pay off the agency fee debt.

http://www.thairath....ewspaper/285904

VOMIT, VOMIT, VOMITbah.gif

I guess we don't have to worry about you all coming to Thailand and having a bisexual experience as a result of lady boys eh? Reference that other very popular thread.

Well definately won't have to worry about me stealing your ladyboys. Pass me the bucket quick.

Well thanks for that and I won't horn in on your parade in Sydney.smile.png

Edited by chiangmaikelly