Un Envoy Says Destruction In Syria Is Reaching 'catastrophic Proportions'

News_Editor

This could escalate into a game changer.

Report: Syrian soldiers killed in Turkish bombardment

Last updated Thu 4 Oct 2012

Several Syrian soldiers have been killed in a Turkish bombardment, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights told Reuters.

Internationally, Damascus drew harsh condemnation from Turkey as well as NATO and Western powers for the cross-border shelling Wednesday afternoon that claimed five Turkish lives, among them a woman and three children.

Ten others were reported wounded, two of them critically.

A furious Turkey returned fire, with shells still raining down on Syria after nightfall, while Ankara called on the UN Security Council to take "necessary action" to halt Syrian aggression against its territory.

In Ankara, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's cabinet was set to seek clearance Thursday for possible future cross-border military operations "when deemed necessary", at a special parliament session.

Edited by Chicog

Do you think it *could* get much worse for the Syrian people?

No what I meant was worse for the whole world because this could result in a serious escalation.

the West are desperately trying to find a way to start a war.

Turkey is an ally of Iran and here they are warning Iran not to support Syria any further. Do you think Iran is likely to listen to this?

rolleyes.gif

in fact Iran has already warned Turkey about this

Edited by Asiantravel

Let's trot out the adjectives, shall we. Those of us following the awful news from Syria, could have used that word 'catastrophic' months ago. When it goes beyond 'catastrophic' what words shall we use? 'earth-shattering'? 'mind-boggling'? 'totally immense' ?

I think it's time we put the words aside and get a coalition of western countries (Asians and Middle Easterners are too meek to act), - and just roll on in to Damascus and either kill, arrest, or run the butt plugs out of power.

Why! Why! Why! For gods sake should we intervene in this stupidity, thats just what the US wants to happen. Leave them to bring about change for themselves. Only intervene if it spills over into another country proper, until then stay out and hope for the best for the people. The west has stuck there noses into to many countries stupid problems and we in the west end up paying for it in blood.

I see you are from the US. So much for your chosen name:Maidu, peaceful people?

Edited by a99az

No what I meant was worse for the whole world because this could result in a serious escalation.

Turkey is an ally of Iran and here they are warning Iran not to support Syria any further. Do you think Iran is likely to listen to this?

rolleyes.gif

Yesterday there were two suicide car bombings in civilian areas in the centre of Aleppo killing at least 40 people and wounding scores more. This has been a regular occurance over the past few months. All carried out by Islamic militants, armed, supported and egged on by the West. Barely rated a mention in the MSM, let alone any kind of condemnation by Hague or Clinton. Sickening hypocrisy.

Let's trot out the adjectives, shall we. Those of us following the awful news from Syria, could have used that word 'catastrophic' months ago. When it goes beyond 'catastrophic' what words shall we use? 'earth-shattering'? 'mind-boggling'? 'totally immense' ?

I think it's time we put the words aside and get a coalition of western countries (Asians and Middle Easterners are too meek to act), - and just roll on in to Damascus and either kill, arrest, or run the butt plugs out of power.

Why! Why! Why! For gods sake should we intervene in this stupidity, thats just what the US wants to happen. Leave them to bring about change for themselves. Only intervene if it spills over into another country proper, until then stay out and hope for the best for the people. The west has stuck there noses into to many countries stupid problems and we in the west end up paying for it in blood.

I see you are from the US. So much for your chosen name:Maidu, peaceful people?

Where are you getting this delusional rant that it's the US that wants military intervention? It's the Europeans squawking the loudest about "intervention". Look back at Libya. The main push for intervention came from Europe. Same now. Time for you to exercise a reality check!

rolleyes.gif

dig a bit deeper, Turkey is not an ally of Iran

I fear that there might be a military intervention by a US-led 'coalition' soon after the US presidential elections.

I have a bad feeling that things will get worse and worse for Syria; and the mess there is likely to last longer and is likely to be much bloodier than the mess in Libya.