Bringing Dog From Usa

ChiangMai2012

I brought our dog from Thailand to Kansas City 4 years ago on Northwest Airlines. I don't know if your friend is checking the dog or carrying it under the seat but, if checking, Northwest was pretty vague on the type of container you can use but was very specific that the Northwest agent at BKK had the sole authority to allow the container or deny it. Fortunately, the place where I bordered the dog for a week, while I and the family went to Jombien for a final vacation, warned me that the container that I had bought while in Chiang Mai, while meeting the Northwest description for a proper cage, would not be allowed. I needed a standard plastic/vinyl dog container and drill holes in the back side, so the dog would have proper ventilation I called the person that had bordered my dog from the airport and paid him around $200 for such a cage, which he brought out in plenty of time for me to catch the flight. I gave him the other cage. I don't know how Delta states it's dog container specifications, but I would double check with Delta far in advance. If he was in the Kansas City area, he could have my container.

I brought my dog over from the USA on Delta 2 years ago . I had to find flights that had openings for the dog . They have a rule only so many animals on each flight . Also makes a difference if its a large or small dog . I was able to bring mine in the cabin . I purchased a case for her that looked just as a carry on which was easy to slide under the seat in front of me . The paper work was another story . The dog must be vacinated atleast 21 days before departure . There is a special form which the vet must fill out within 10 days of departure. This form must be sent to the USDA vet in what ever state you reside and stamped then sent back and carried with you while traveling . The trick is to get the form to USDA and then back all within the ten days. I used UPS overnight both ways and had two days to spare. There are only two vacines they reqired one was for rabies and the other for parvo and distemper as best as I remember . We also contacted Thai Aggriculture at the airport and advised them of the flight we were coming in on and also emailed a picture of the dog with my wife and a copy of her passport . Once we arrived we went to aggriculture they checked the paperwork charged us a couple hundred baht and we left . Had to stop at customs and paid another 1000 baht duty on the dog ... It was really no big hassle once we got the forms back from USDA ...

Oh if he has to overnight in Bangkok we could find no hotel friendly hotels there are some kennels but we went straight from the airport to her parents . Also only way we could find to Chiang Mai from Bangkok was the overnight Nightmare express sleeper with no A/C ... We did not check the airlines .

post-99323-0-70204900-1347507481_thumb.j

post-99323-0-03231000-1347507574_thumb.j

Edited by BB1955

They may be refering to the document you get after passing through Aggriculture at the airport . We did get a form that we had to show the customs officer on the way out the door . Thats where we got tagged for 1000 baht . Other than that thats about all you have to do . If its a small dog bringing the dog in the cabin was no problem. Just had to take her out and hold her and walk through the metal detectors ...