Leftovers

suegha

When I cook Thai food, I often use the leftovers (if any) the next day as the basis for another dish. For example, I made a fish dish that was heavily flavoured with chillies one night and the next night used the leftover sauce as a basis for a fantastic yellow turkey curry. This is just one example, I have many others.

Anyone got any similar experiences? Is Thai food just perfect for this sort of thing?

ps the turkey curry is, turkey thigh, finely cubed, yellow curry paste - make as hot as you like - onions, garlic, and finely chopped potato, add the appropriate amount of coconut milk, a handful of finely chopped coriander and it's so tasty. Try it some time along with a nice veggie curry on a bed of rice, quick, easy and fab!

When I cook Thai food, I often use the leftovers (if any) the next day as the basis for another dish. For example, I made a fish dish that was heavily flavoured with chillies one night and the next night used the leftover sauce as a basis for a fantastic yellow turkey curry. This is just one example, I have many others.

Anyone got any similar experiences? Is Thai food just perfect for this sort of thing?

ps the turkey curry is, turkey thigh, finely cubed, yellow curry paste - make as hot as you like - onions, garlic, and finely chopped potato, add the appropriate amount of coconut milk, a handful of finely chopped coriander and it's so tasty. Try it some time along with a nice veggie curry on a bed of rice, quick, easy and fab!

I have found it very difficult to make a "Thai"style dish with leftovers.I like the idea of using everything fresh.If we have made roasted pork or chicken then yes.But an already seasoned dish...no.Also the flavor of the chile is not the same it loses alot of its flavor.Not like lets say some Italian or Mexican dishes that taste better as they "age".But just my opianon. :o

Fish with chillies followed by yellow turkey curry? Sorry, suegha, but (to use an American expression that seems appropriate here) you just totally grossed me out.

Why on earth would you want to do something like that? I'm assuming none of the fish itself went in the yellow curry, so why keep a bit of old chilli sauce when, as blue eyes, says fresh chillies are much much better, not to mention the fact that they're on the inexpensive side, so hardly need to be used twice?

Thai food does not really lend itself to leftover recipes, unless you are talking about plain grilled meats or fish. Things like yam and stir-fries must be eaten immediately; others things like curries do keep, but as they usually taste much better heated up the day after, why would you want to turn them into something else?

Nothing to do with expense! And you're right, there was no fish left in the curry sauce! I then used that as a base for my next sauce - it tasted wonderful!!!

I find the opposite of what was said here, I think the spices intensify if left 24 hours. Obviously some things just will not do, I also find simple fried rice dishes lend themselves to using leftovers.

Fish with chillies followed by yellow turkey curry? Sorry, suegha, but (to use an American expression that seems appropriate here) you just totally grossed me out.

Sorry Harry but the thought of cheeseburgers & fries grosses me out.

What's so bad about spicy fish followed by turkey curry...

not enough empty calories for a yankee pallette????

how long would you guys leave a vendor meal in the fridge? next day? day after that?

Howdy everyone,

Whenever we eat food from a street or maket "vendor" we only get what we will eat at that meal.Most foods taste best when freshly made.If by chance we have to much,unlikely,there is always some one around the house to finish it up.(bark bark)