Airports Of Thailand To Hike Suvarnabhumi Airport Passenger-Service Charges

webfact

AOT to hike airport passenger-service charges

NONGNAPAS MAIPANIT

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Air travellers will have to pay more for passenger service at Suvarnabhumi Airport after operator Airports of Thailand announced plans to increase the charges next year.

However, AOT also plans to invest up to Bt5 billion in developing facilities at the airport in a bid to ease congestion.

Somchai Sawasdeepon, director of Suvarnabhumi Airport, said yesterday that the passenger service charge for international flights would be increased to Bt800 from the current Bt700 while that for domestic flights would be raised to Bt150 from Bt100 currently.

"Though the number of passengers has grown by an average of 8-9 per cent annually, we don't expect traffic jams at Suvarnabhumi Airport, as some airlines have moved to provide services from Don Mueang Airport," he said. AOT expects the number of passengers at Suvarnabhumi next year will decline to 45 million, compared with an estimated 52.6 million this year. The main reason is that Thai AirAsia, an airline that carries 10 million passengers a year, has relocated to provide services from Don Mueang.

He said Suvarnabhumi would restore some space on the terminal's fourth floor for use by passengers. The airport also targets luggage-loading times not exceeding 20 minutes.

Somchai said AOT planned to invest up to Bt5 billion on developing facilities in the airport such as luggage conveyors (Bt1.8 billion), air-conditioning improvements (Bt677 million), computer network (Bt334 million) and rest-room improvement (Bt100 million).

In addition, AOT is proceeding with Suvarnabhumi Airport's second-phase construction, requiring an investment of Bt62 billion to enable traffic of 60 million passengers a year, up from 45 million currently.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-29

Sure, raise the fee to THB 800 but give the passenger a performance incentive - if it takes more than 1 hour to exit the country at passport control or enter the country at immigration - a full refund.

It would good PR if they do a refund scheme, and it won't cost them much as people won't bother to stand in another line for another hour or 3 to get the refund! laugh.png

• Like 1

"The airport also targets luggage-loading times not exceeding 20 minutes."

Be quite nice if they could get the unloading that quick as well.

I have not travelled the world, but I have been through most of Asia, Australia and NZ. I can say Auckland International airport is by far the slowest - often having to wait 30mins post landing to get your bags.

This is one department I do rate Suvarnabhumi very highly on.

I wish that they would use the increased fees and the decreased traffic after moving the LCC carriers to ensure the most heavily populated services were bought to the closest gates. My quad-annual flights between Auckland and Bangkok with Thai Airways are an absolute nightmare, it takes at least 20 minutes to walk to/from the gate, I am often sweating before I even expose myself to the heat differential between NZ and Thailand.

they can invest all they want in corrupted ways ... if there are planes landing and only 5 of out (50) offices and officers are working, than the problem will remain, even they invest 50 billion or 500 billion

people (chinese tourists, not speaking any english or thai) that did not fill in their boarding pass, should not be allowed to do so at the desk of the immigration officer and creating a long queue

"The airport also targets luggage-loading times not exceeding 20 minutes."

Nice !

But now I have to explain my luggage, that it have to wait 40 more minutes to be picked up due to the waiting time at immigrations counter.