Don't You People Need A Break From Thailand?

tartempion

Hi Tartempion,

As you know I'm a fellow countryman and I exactly know and understand what your saying.

I feel much the same as you and I also travel twice a year in business class back to the old country for a week or so.

Just long enough to enjoy and sample the food, beer and a good bottle of wine, see old friends and re-live the past over a good meal.

But after one week I can't wait to go back home again, here in Thailand.

I do have to say however that politics never interested me, not in Belgium and not in Thailand, and do realize that if it weren't for the strict laws and regulations and heavy fines, the traffic situation in Europe would be the same or even worse than here.

Anyway enjoy your stay and a nice cold "Duvel" with the mussels !!!!!

Yermanee wai.gif

post-109269-0-82442300-1348890177_thumb.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't stand to live in some of those desolate Isaan villages you see farang move to with their wives to begin with. If I wanted that I could have moved to a trailer park in West Virginia. The rest of the country, no I don't need a break.

I am one of those you mentioned, I live in a very rural village.

Did taken a little getting used too, but to me a great experience.

Now I am part of that community where in a town/city I would not be.

I love being away from the hustle and bustle and noise of a big town or city where I spent the majority of my life including 3 years in Pattaya..

There again I don't drink and go chasing other women.

Have less chance of being involved in a traffic accident.

Can get to where I want to go in much less time than I could do the same distance in the big towns.

Generally things are cheaper and one tends to save money as less temptation to spend the cash.

Have the comforts that I want.

Not interested in the local politics as I can't influence that, the same as when I was in the UK even though I voted.

Politicians the world over will do what is best 'for themselves' not for the public.

Yes there are a some down points living in a rural village but I like it.

Not everyone's 'cup of tea' but we are all different. If you have not experienced it, then don't knock it.

But as I said before if not happy one can change or leave Thailand, I have that option.

• Like 2

I like doing my 5/5 working away and living in bangkok. After 5 weeks working every day with the "boys" in the oil patch I can't wait to get home, but on the flip side I look forward to going back to work after 5 weeks in thailand.

Don't know what id do with myself when I retire

Well detailed and I couldn't agree more. For me being able to live in Thailand has to be balanced with frequent trips to Canada and/or the US (I'm Canadian). For those that choose to stay full time, good for them as I'd be hard pressed to do the same.

i live in the sticks in sakeo province, and i love every minute of it,

but i do enjoy also going away to work,(like others oil and gas) just to have the craic with the boys, ten its great to get home,

so the way i look at it ive got the best of both worlds,

i call home a place that i really love, i work in a job that pays really well,

so like i say best of both

jake

• Like 1

I feel comforted not to be alone to have this urge twice a year to get out of sticky Thailand.

I couldn't live permanently in my home country anymore, but 3 to 4 weeks break away do me good.

I couldn't live permanently here neither, I would go insane.

I do like to travel and visit both faraway places such as visiting friends in Montreal as nearby destinations such as Sillypore and HKG, but back to base 2x year is a must for me.

I feel happy to have best of both worlds when I need it.

There is this "Just Having a Gripe" thread running right now which describes partially what's basically wrong with this country and why I get this feeling urging me to get some fresh air regularly. The behavior of some Thais in my inner circle are part of the problem. And no, I don't want to expand on this blink.png

Yermanee, I'll drink that Duvel on your health next Tuesday!

Looking really forward to Monday evening to get on a plane out of Udon Thani.

edit: Loy Kratong, 28 November this 2012, I mentionnned only because the missus likes me to push the kratong into the pond, will be back here way before that day.

Edited by tartempion

I recently bought a Nissan Teana 2.5 at 1.5 million

driving that kind of elCheapo car doesn't really go with flying business except... if it's Uzbekistan Airlines tongue.png

Hey, Uzbekistan Airlines don't fly to Brussels!

Thai, Qatar and Etihad do.

Thai no have business class yet (they'll fly leased B777/300 as of Nov 1st with real lie-flat beds at last, also 40k baht more expensive that QR, EY)

Etihad throw in Benz with driver at both ends, no elCheapo cars. They'll pick me up at DM to deliver me fresh at Swampy one hour later, no showers in the Benz I am afraid.

What do you call a Nissan March then???

why are you coming here then if you cant stand it, just to bang hookers?

in that case, stay home.

Why? How's he supposed to be able to afford tarts back home? Wouldn't he be better to move to Cambodia?

Why are you so negative towards people whose values are different from yours?

Some people come here for the temples or the weather or the food, and they complain about the sleaze? Surely the people that are here for the sleaze could reasonably complain about the weather or the food or the temples

SC

• Like 2

in that case, stay home.

Why? How's he supposed to be able to afford tarts back home? Wouldn't he be better to move to Cambodia?

Some people come here for the temples or the weather or the food, and they complain about the sleaze? Surely the people that are here for the sleaze could reasonably complain about the weather or the food or the temples

SC

It would seem that poor Jack is negative about everything..... A man of few words and even less empathy. I hope he is more content with life than his posts would suggest.

I have a country man living nearby who has not left Thailand for the since he got here 11 years ago, he says he does not miss anything really, he cooks a lot at home to compensate the Thai food, but so do I.

I haven't left the country in 20 years but I have a career here that I truly enjoy, a family here and also cook my own Western food as I would back home. Now if I retire, that may all change.

That TM card should be framed when it's finally taken out of your passport. biggrin.png

in that case, stay home.

SC

It would seem that poor Jack is negative about everything..... A man of few words and even less empathy. I hope he is more content with life than his posts would suggest.

Perhaps Jack is the new Ivor Cutler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IesFuWgC1WQ

SC

I have a country man living nearby who has not left Thailand for the since he got here 11 years ago, he says he does not miss anything really, he cooks a lot at home to compensate the Thai food, but so do I.

I haven't left the country in 20 years but I have a career here that I truly enjoy, a family here and also cook my own Western food as I would back home. Now if I retire, that may all change.

That TM card should be framed when it's finally taken out of your passport. biggrin.png

Possibly no point.... the ink's gotta have faded by now!! ermm.gif

driving that kind of elCheapo car doesn't really go with flying business except... if it's Uzbekistan Airlines tongue.png

Thai no have business class yet (they'll fly leased B777/300 as of Nov 1st with real lie-flat beds at last, also 40k baht more expensive that QR, EY)

Etihad throw in Benz with driver at both ends, no elCheapo cars. They'll pick me up at DM to deliver me fresh at Swampy one hour later, no showers in the Benz I am afraid.

Nissan March = mobile pothole search gadget wink.png

• Like 2

I can't really comment as I work 6 month pr year overseas (2month on/off) so for me it's always nice to be back in LOS.

I just spend almost 6 weeks in Japan (working) and despite the extremely polite locals, beautiful girls/countryside &

everything works, but almost everything is bloody expensive, I was more than happy to return home to the "madness".

I live in Pattaya and are bored of my scull after 5 days in our house in Isaan (wife's) and tell my wife that tomorrow

we will be driving back to civilization or I will kill somebody (joking) just for having something to do.

I forgot to add that on this holiday I will NOT be going on any Japanese restaurants, really feed up with Jap food right now, lol.

Erh, it looks like you did 'comment'

I dont really get it you retire here then complain that its not like home. You dont say where in issan that you are. But that may be part of the problem. Living in the back of beyond. For me there are certainly frustrations living here but all told its better than the UK maybe if I came from paradiso europa like you. I might not like it so much here. ..:D

sent from my Wellcom A90+

• Like 1

Nissan March = mobile pothole search gadget wink.png

cheesy.gif

I dont really get it you retire here then complain that its not like home. You dont say where in issan that you are. But that may be part of the problem. Living in the back of beyond. For me there are certainly frustrations living here but all told its better than the UK maybe if I came from paradiso europa like you. I might not like it so much here. ..biggrin.png

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Ah but to get away from the " frustrations " occcasionally is the way to go for me.

Complaining it,s not like back home naaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! just appreciating having the best of different lifestyles.

Why give them up when you can enjoy things you like from time to time here and at home..

I,m not sure who you may be referring to TC but i,ll offer a friendly response.

Seems to me the only ones who may be looking at this negatively are those who prefer not to time share..for whatever reason.

I,m not knocking or begrudging them their chosen way of life, far from it.....live and let live comes to mind for all reasonable people IMHO.

Choice as in choosing were to spend / choose you time and all that goes with it for some of us is part of our diverse lifstyle and what retirement is all about, well for me anyways.

How nice it is for me go to and fro, I genuinely enjoy my choices.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Edited by marshbags

It is taped up a bit now. tongue.png

If i spend anytime in asia, I miss the intellectual interchange you can have with americans or brits that you will struggle to have with the locals for multiple reasons. If I was in Issan, probably 5 months at a time would be all I could take too. Bangkok, I could go for much longer before leaving.