Thai Parliament's Overseas Excursion System May Need Review: Somsak

webfact

Parliament's overseas excursion system may need review: Somsak

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- House Speaker Somsak Kiatsuranont said yesterday that he would have the legislature's overseas-excursion system reviewed if investigators found his recent trip to Europe unacceptable.

Somsak added that he was OK with the House Committee on Parliamentary Affairs investigating the trip after criticism that it featured extravagant hotel stays and functions, including expensive soccer matches, and that members of the entourage were selected on grounds of favouritism.

The committee has yet to summon the Speaker for questioning since he returned from the controversial trip.

"My position has nothing to do with the probe. The committee has the right to summon me for questioning. I organised this excursion with good intentions and believe it was worthwhile, especially since we got to see the BBC television station. I plan to develop digital television for Parliament,'' he said.

However, he did not confirm reports that the trip cost up to Bt7 million in taxpayers' money, saying he did not know the exact figure but insisted that he personally paid for tickets to the soccer matches and the travelling expenses of his daughter Ploypailin.

"I believe the excursion went according to rules and regulations, including my own judgement. If it is not right, I think we have to review the entire system,'' Somsak said.

Meanwhile, 62 Democrat Party lawmakers led by Songkhla MP Wirat Kullyasiri submitted a petition to Somsak seeking a Constitutional Court ruling over disqualifying Pheu Thai's Yongyuth Wichaidit from his MP status. Yongyuth stepped down as deputy prime minister and interior minister after the Civil Service Commission fired him as a civil servant.

The CSC's decision came after the National Anti-Corruption Commission ruled that Yongyuth was guilty of malfeasance over the Alpine land controversy.

Somsak said he would check the petition in two weeks before deciding whether it needed a court ruling.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-04

"I believe the excursion went according to rules and regulations, including my own judgment. If it is not right, I think we have to review the entire system,'' Somsak said.

If I did something wrong, it is the systems fault.

Shameless crook.

Reminds me of one of Chalerm's defenses for Thaksin something like: "He is not a criminal, he just did something that was against the law". And of course they've been fighting to change the laws since coming to power.

"My position has nothing to do with the probe. The committee has the right to summon me for questioning. I organised this excursion with good intentions and believe it was worthwhile, especially since we got to see the BBC television station. I plan to develop digital television for Parliament,'' he said

Of course he could have gone on line and looked at the BBC building, silly me he digested the full workings of a digital broadcasting system in his 3/4 hour trip I was forgetting how intelligent these Hiso Thai's are!

However, he did not confirm reports that the trip cost up to Bt7 million in taxpayers' money, saying he did not know the exact figure but insisted that he personally paid for tickets to the soccer matches and the travelling expenses of his daughter Ploypailin.

Well he is not exactly going to admit that he spent more than what most Thai's earn in a lifetime on a jolly up is he? I would love to see someone challenge him to PROVE beyond all reasonable doubt that he did in fact pay for his daughters trip in FULL!

It aint gonna happen folks ...........cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

"My position has nothing to do with the probe. The committee has the right to summon me for questioning. I organised this excursion with good intentions and believe it was worthwhile, especially since we got to see the BBC television station. I plan to develop digital television for Parliament,'' he said

Of course he could have looked at the BBC building on line, silly me he digested the full workings of a digital broadcasting system in the 3/4 hour trip, I was forgetting how intelligent these Hiso Thai's are.

Well he is not going to admit that he spent more than the average Thai earns in a life time on a 'jolly up' is he? I would love someone to challenge him to PROVE beyond ALL reasonable doubt that he did in fact pay for his daughters trip IN FULL!

We all know that it just aint gonna happen....cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

"I organised this excursion with good intentions and believe it was worthwhile, especially since we got to see the BBC television station. I plan to develop digital television for Parliament,'' he said."

If that was the case why didn't he stay home take ear medicine and send a team of qualified technicians to over look the system and see what was needed to install it in Parliament. They could have studied it and installed it and even after the 35% off the top come in a lot cheaper than his holiday.

Yongyuth will not have to loose his seat in Parliament he should but what the heck when the fellow running the country is a convicted criminal who can't get in the country without going to jail. Why not fill the Parliament up with crooks.

• Like 1

"I organised this excursion with good intentions and believe it was worthwhile, especially since we got to see the BBC television station. I plan to develop digital television for Parliament,'' he said."

If that was the case why didn't he stay home take ear medicine and send a team of qualified technicians to over look the system and see what was needed to install it in Parliament. They could have studied it and installed it and even after the 35% off the top come in a lot cheaper than his holiday.

Yongyuth will not have to loose his seat in Parliament he should but what the heck when the fellow running the country is a convicted criminal who can't get in the country without going to jail. Why not fill the Parliament up with crooks.

Yongyuth will not have to loose his seat in Parliament he should but what the heck when the fellow running the country is a convicted criminal who can't get in the country without going to jail. Why not fill the Parliament up with crooks

Erm I think it is.......whistling.gif .

"Why not fill the Parliament up with crooks." Too late - already done.