Media Personality Sorrayuth Advised To Step Down As Anchor

webfact

MEDIA

Sorrayuth advised to step down as anchor

Anupat Deechuay

The Nation

30191741-01_big.jpg

NACC's allegations undermine other journalists, even industry, gurus warn

BANGKOK: -- Media personality Sorrayuth Suthassanachinda should either quit the media or temporarily give up his job to take responsibility and prove if he is innocent in relation to the charges of embezzlement he faces, many media gurus said yesterday.

The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) recently decided to take criminal action against Sorrayuth for his alleged role in the embezzlement of Bt138.79 million of MCOT advertising revenue while producing a television show for Channel 9 in 2006.

"It is obvious that the media personality and his company have committed the crime. Sorrayuth was the person who signed the cheque and he should know what he had done," Sonthiyarn Cheunruthainaitham, director of T-News, said at a seminar hosted by the Anti-Corruption Alliance.

Sorrayuth and his company - Raisom - that now produces news-oriented and current-affairs programmes for Channel 3 have continued business as usual even after the NACC ruling.

Journalists or those who work in the media industry should not violate their ethics or good practice, Jackrit Permpoun, president of the Press Council, said.

"What is right or wrong from the legal perspective has to be defended in court, but once the NACC issues a ruling, it damages the journalist's dignity and integrity," he said.

"This anchorman is a public figure and the public trusts him. When this trust is doubted and his behaviour is questioned, he should not sit still. He needs to do something to take responsibility," Jackirt said.

'Practice as you preach'

Former dean of Thammasat University's Faculty of Journalism and Mass Communications Seree Wongmontha said journalists were always criticising others of being corrupt, but when something like this happens, their integrity is in question.

"Journalists are responsible to the public. If a journalist refuses to take responsibility, they should leave the profession," he said.

"When politicians and government officials are accused of corruption, we demand that they quit or at least be suspended until proved innocent. Hence, if a media person is accused of the same thing, we should have the same practice."

Academic and media guru Somkiat Onwimoon, meanwhile, advised Channel 3 and Sorrayuth to offer some explanation to the public.

Academic Sangsit Piriyarangsan from Rangsit University said this case should not just be viewed from the legal standpoint, but also from the perspective of ethics.

He said that businesses, especially those in the media industry, should not only consider profits but also take into account social responsibility.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-05

How can THB140M be embezzled from MCOT? It's a stand up public company is it not? Lot's of accountants, auditors and checks on this type of thing. Just goes to show the NACC is the busiest public service entity in Thailand - the roots of corruption having no bounds.

The problem with the corrupt people that commit these types of acts, be it embezzlement or whatever they actually lack any dignity or integrity.

This is what leads them down this path in the first place.

As for doing anything personally about their actions having neither of these two features obstructs them from doing the right thing, they actually need help in showing them where the door is located & to close it behind them.

If their company peers cannot pass on this assistance then it should come from another source.

How can THB140M be embezzled from MCOT? It's a stand up public company is it not? Lot's of accountants, auditors and checks on this type of thing. Just goes to show the NACC is the busiest public service entity in Thailand - the roots of corruption having no bounds.

You should read to whom and why he issued the cheques. It was here in the news some days ago. Too lazy to look for the link. It has nothing to do with the buisiness practice inside MCOT.

If you think about it, what other role models have these corrupt political and other figures, news casters or not have had to follow historically, but figures just like themselves since time begain.

And that is irrespective of the Buddhist Amulets they where around their greedy little necks when the time calls for them to show them.

A system where judges can be bought and sold for a handful of baht etc etc etc, bureaucrats ad infintem...

These are the same people that the children now are learning to follow.

Corruption at all levels is the paradigm they grow up with, a corrupt paradigm, no integrity, that is the framework.coffee1.gif

He and his morning program with Nong Bai are wildly popular in Thailand. During the floods, he went out and distributed provisions, etc., and I was always amazed by these people in desperate straights, upon seeing him and his crew arrive by boat would light up with smiles and joy.

I'm not sure what the ratings are for his morning show, but it is a staple for many years, sort of like the good morning shows in U.S./Europe. I don't see him or channel 3 pulling out anytime soon.

And on it goes. A person many people look up to accused of massive corruption and nothing done about it, business as usual. Only people "advising" he step down because of "ethics"

Everyone in the country knows what he did but just carry on as normal and I doubt his ratings will drop. No one will bat an eyelid but when someone else thinks to do the same thing they can totally justify it by thinking "well, he does it"

Same as the police, corruption goes to the very top, why should the guys on the street stop when no example is being set.

Nothing will be done until corruption stops at the very highest levels and how will that happen? Impossible.

I watch his program often, and the amount of respect he gets from his peers is awesome. His protege, Bai, who sits with him and discusses news and events, is so awestruck she utters "ka" at everything that comes out of his mouth. Her nickname is Bai, but he affectionately started called her "Nong Bai" and now that nickname has stuck and everyone calls her that.

I suspect all this will be just water off that duck's back. Especially given the strength of the current party in power and channel 3's political position and his.

I watch his program often, and the amount of respect he gets from his peers is awesome. His protege, Bai, who sits with him and discusses news and events, is so awestruck she utters "ka" at everything that comes out of his mouth. Her nickname is Bai, but he affectionately started called her "Nong Bai" and now that nickname has stuck and everyone calls her that.

I suspect all this will be just water off that duck's back. Especially given the strength of the current party in power and channel 3's political position and his.

Yes. He is very vocal about Phua Thai and Thaksin. I think he also mentioned tongue in cheek that he might run for office. My gf watches every morning before she goes to work .. I love the ka.ka.ka from the female :D:D

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Isn't it Nong Bike? :rolleyes:

Yes. He is very vocal about Phua Thai and Thaksin. I think he also mentioned tongue in cheek that he might run for office. My gf watches every morning before she goes to work .. I love the ka.ka.ka from the female biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Yes the female is attractive and there just because you have to have two news anchors. All we know for sure is she looks with reverence at Sorrayuth, she dresses in the horrible fashion of Thai female broadcasters and she knows how to nod her head and say ka ka ka, quickly, efficiently and clearly.

Her nickname is Bai, but he affectionately started called her "Nong Bai" and now that nickname has stuck and everyone calls her that.

Not wishing to nit-pick, but the adding of Nong doesn't constitute a nickname, just denotes a younger age, and everyone can't call her that because not everyone is older than her.

Isn't it Nong Bike? rolleyes.gif

Yeah, brain freeze. smile.png

Her nickname is Bai, but he affectionately started called her "Nong Bai" and now that nickname has stuck and everyone calls her that.

Not wishing to nit-pick, but the adding of Nong doesn't constitute a nickname, just denotes a younger age, and everyone can't call her that because not everyone is older than her.

Yes, I know adding Nong denotes younger, but I've seen many of the correspondents her same age, or younger also call her Nong. Now, maybe they are in fact older by a year or so - that fact could only be known to them, so perhaps you are technically correct. smile.png

What I meant to imply is that for on-air personalities in a somewhat serious 3 hour news show to call someone Pee or Nong at first seems either not formal enough or condescending. It does feel as though Sorrayuth has a huge ego and has to constantly be reminding her that she is the younger, goofier sister (which she is - though she is a Chula and Nida graduate). Also, regarding his voice, it is terribly irritating. He speaks as if he has a mouth full of gravel, and he takes himself too seriously.

Edited by keemapoot

Yes. He is very vocal about Phua Thai and Thaksin. I think he also mentioned tongue in cheek that he might run for office. My gf watches every morning before she goes to work .. I love the ka.ka.ka from the female biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Just watch that idiotic "pooyin teung pooyin" , that comes on straight after with the women done up like they are going to dinner at the 4 seasons at 9am. They even just parrot the teleprompter, and the other 3 nod sagely and murmur "ka" under their noses, among themselves. I dare one day any of these female presenters to "mai ka". The producers, editors and cameramen would collectively have a heart attack, and the papers would be filled with headlines "Female presenter dares to disagree with fellow presenter, National Crisis."

• Like 1

Just watch that idiotic "pooyin teung pooyin" , that comes on straight after with the women done up like they are going to dinner at the 4 seasons at 9am. They even just parrot the teleprompter, and the other 3 nod sagely and murmur "ka" under their noses, among themselves. I dare one day any of these female presenters to "mai ka". The producers, editors and cameramen would collectively have a heart attack, and the papers would be filled with headlines "Female presenter dares to disagree with fellow presenter, National Crisis."

Yeah, Galamae (the loud one) has really used that show to launch her career. Nina (the dark cute one) went to Uni in Boston & is married to an American I believe.

Yeah, Galamae (the loud one) has really used that show to launch her career. Nina (the dark cute one) went to Uni in Boston & is married to an American I believe.

Indeed, but it is truly inane crap. 3 hours of Sorayut getting full agreement from all around him, then 4 women getting full agreement among themselves on largely the same subject matter. To be a researcher on these shows extends to delivering the morning papers. To be perfectly honest is basically extremely unsubtble propaganda.

Really don't get all the comments about him being annoying. Always seems quite professional to me. The only thing i would say in the negative, is the complete over-exposure he tends to get. Seems to be on TV 24/7. Not quite sure how he manages it.

Anyway, with regarding this story, sounds like he really does need to take a break and get his private affairs in order.

Anyone who has watched his programs knows he cannot decently be called a journalist .

No investigative journalism whatsoever , gutter journalism , mindless eulogies , silly celebrity gossip, and the list goes on and on .

He comments on the papers. Rest of the world he would be 5 minutes an hour

And exactly how many bankers have been held to account for the current global economic crisis? Not just a Thai problem.

They are accountable...their bonus went right into their account...they knew to sell that stock option quick. Deregulation can be a wonderful thing. Lotsa money was made at the expense of all of us worldwide. The occupy wall street movement is just not going to change things I fear.