Advice Dark Caves Around Chiang Mai, Suitable For A Dark Room Meditation Retreat

samlowry

Subj. So there are only 3 reqs:

- cave have to be completely dark

- cave have to be comfortable for a long sitting (no water or mud)

- cave have to be not popular for tourist (otherwise it will be hard to meditate there)

Suggest you add to your list of requirements:

- cave not a home for bats with air contaminated with bat faeces' dust

And, what are you going to do when a snake, sensing your body-heat, slithers over, and wants to cuddle with you; when spiders crawl over you; when other unknown nocturnal animals come around ?

Suggest you consider getting a small tent with adequate fine-mesh ventilation panels to allow air in and screen insects out, finding a quiet place. Put in industrial strength ear-plugs, wear a sleep mask.

~o:37;

• Like 1

If you can be flexible with times and can handle a drive there would be a heap of caves available in Chiang Dao, some of which have been used (and one that I know definately still is) for the purposes you intend. Even the ones that are open to tourists are not packed all the time, and, there are many areas that not generally open for tourists (lack of lighting, adequate footing for elderly tourists, or that people are to "big boned" to access). No problems there with bats/insects etc but they can get pretty cold. No doubt after some discussion the on hand guides can take you in to a secluded area and bring you out later, or have a word with monks near the caves. Not aware of anything nearer that Chiang Dao that would suit your purposes. If you can be flexible with times there are many periods where a lot of the caves have staff available but no tourists....

Edited by mamborobert
  • Like 1

The Indian sage sri Ramana Maharshi spent 23 years of his young live in cages but Self-realisation (enlightenment in Buddhism) found place already several years earlier. He never advised anyone (and non of the great teachers did) to practice meditation in a cave. All he advised was to do self inquiry by asking "who am I?".

I don't know the reason you will meditate in a cave but it is just an idea you will find more peace in there.

This having said, I doubt there are caves for your need which are free to enter to meditate longer than a part of a day.

Search for the national parks like Doi Inthanon etc.

Tham Tukatan is a wonderful cave well off the beaten path about 12-15kms up the Samoeng Rd (1269) look for turn-off on the left. Massive cathedrals alight with absolute darkness.

I have a Brazillian friend living near us who is interested in cave meditation and goes there, if you can't find the cave, drop me a line and I'd be happy to can spin you up there - we will be arriving back to CM Oct.17. Cheers

I think you should find that the hong nahm in your current abode would suit well for this. Just sit on the throne with the lights out and meditate to your heart's content.

Or, there are the Mae On caves, just past San Kapheng. easy access and does get a few visitors, but as others have posted, maybe some branches that are off the beaten track would be suitable??Or, why not just use a condo and blacken the windows or build a concrete bunker?? isn't the object of meditation to remove your self/mind from your earthly surroundings??

jaideeguy, can you build one concrete bunker for me somewhere? Sounds, like it's very easy for you :)

Actually you are close to truth: guys from Koh Phangan built a special dome for a darkroom meditation.

As about condo - I don't have a condo.

Caves are free and ready to use, they are dark and quiet by default. Period.

jaideeguy, can you build one concrete bunker for me somewhere? Sounds, like it's very easy for you smile.png

Actually you are close to truth: guys from Koh Phangan built a special dome for a darkroom meditation.

As about condo - I don't have a condo.

Caves are free and ready to use, they are dark and quiet by default. Period.

Yeah, I can build a concrete bunker [for a few thb].....

An old friend of mine built a deprivation tank that was totally soundproof, but had ventilation and filled it with body temprature water solution of Epsom salts that had the same buoyancy of a body so all his senses were deprived.....but much bigger $$

Another possibility might be a quiet remote Wat in the mountains and I know of one.......pm me if interested.

"As about condo - I don't have a condo.".....doesn't have to be a condo, as CM has plenty of single room apartments that rent for as low as 1,000 thb and are quite cave like.

good luck in your quest and do check out the Mae On caves that I mentioned. closest caves to CM that I know of.