Thailand Urged To Abolish Death Penalty

webfact

Thailand urged to abolish death penalty

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) and World Coalition Against the Death Penalty (WCADP) on Tuesday sent an open letter to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, asking her to abolish the death penalty.

Here is the open letter:

"On the eve of the 10th World Day Against the Death Penalty, the World Coalition Against the Death Penalty (WCADP) and the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) write to you to urge the Government of Thailand to take immediate steps to abolish the death penalty, an irrevocable, inhuman, cruel and degrading punishment that does not make society safer.

Thailand has not carried out any execution since August 2009 when two convicted drug traffickers were executed by lethal injection. Before that, there were no executions between 2003 and August 2009. Thailand voted against the first two United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) moratorium resolutions, but changed its position on the third resolution in 2010 by abstaining. Thailand’s second National Human Rights Action Plan (2009-2013) includes the review of laws which permit capital punishment and the replacement of capital punishment with life imprisonment as indicators of success. In August 2012, Thailand abolished the death penalty for offenders under 18 years of age and reduced life imprisonment for minors to 50 years. On 16 August 2012, a royal pardon was announced whereby all prisoners who have been sentenced to death and whose cases have reached a final verdict would have their death sentences commuted to life imprisonment.

The World Coalition and FIDH hope that these positive steps indicate a growing political will on the part of the Government of Thailand to move progressively and expeditiously towards abolition.

We are concerned, however, that Thai courts continue to hand down new death sentences every year, including for drug-related offenses, in contravention to the recommendation of the UN Human Rights Committee in 2005. Thailand is a State party to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), which requires States that still retain the death penalty to restrict its use to only the "most serious crimes", which drug-related offenses are not. We are therefore disturbed by reports that the Deputy Prime Minister recently publicly supported an amendment to the Narcotics Act to shorten the appeals process for drug offenders sentenced to death and expedite their executions. We are also appalled by the inhuman practice of permanently shackling male death row prisoners, despite a landmark ruling in 2009 by the Administrative Court which found shackling to be unlawful under both domestic and international law.

We further regret that Thailand did not accept the ten recommendations on abolition or moratorium it received from UN Member States at the Universal Periodic Review in October 2011, and urge Thailand to reconsider its position on these important recommendations.

The global trend towards abolition is strong and unmistakable. Two of Thailand's fellow ASEAN Member States, Cambodia and the Philippines, have abolished the death penalty while no executions have been reported in Burma and Laos in the last decade. According to the United Nations, approximately 150 countries have abolished the death penalty or introduced a moratorium, either in law or in practice. Many countries have abolished the death penalty when public opinion was still in favour of it, and this demonstrates that political courage is needed to steer societies towards a more compassionate and less violent future, and to ensure the full respect for the right to life, as guaranteed by the ICCPR.

The World Coalition and FIDH respectfully call on Thailand to:

vote in favour of the 2012 UNGA resolution on a moratorium on the use of the death penalty, and immediately introduce a moratorium on executions;

take prompt and effective measures, including through legislative and administrative reforms, to review all laws permitting the imposition of the death penalty, with a view to abolishing it in law at the earliest instance; and

immediately instruct all prison authorities to end the practice of permanent shackling of male death row prisoners, and effectively monitor their compliance.

Thank you for your serious consideration of our recommendations and we look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely yours,

Souhayr Belhassen,

FIDH President

Florence Bellivier,

WCADP President"

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-10

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice if certain American states would abolish it first, as an example for Thailand to follow.

Approx 17 of the 50 states do not have the death penalty.

Are the methods still various i.e. hanging, electric chair, gas or is it all lethal injection?

OK I've goggled it, Lethal Injection, Hanging, Gas, Electric chair and firing squad.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/methods-execution

Edited by uptheos

The Justice system in Thailand sux, but I do agree with execution of the aforementioned crims on pre-meditated murder (hits et al), rapists, child molesters and drug dealers or manufacturers. Why put them in the barrell for the rest of their lives, cause problems, cost of keeping the including overseeing them. let them figure it out on the way to the injection. At least it's more humane than gunning them down or less grissly than lopping off their heads. Do the crime and expect the punishment. That will deter (only) a few anyway.

Edited by asiawatcher

Another poster indicated that first step is to reengineer the legal system and due process. Equal rights and right to due process for everyone. No buying your way out, no privilege. Everyone is equal before the law and the law is enforced and documented. Then once the law is in a state of equal justice and corruption is eliminated or legally enforced and minimized then it's up to Thailand's people to vote for or against the death penalty. Premeditated murder, murder preceded by torture, and killing of police officers may be crimes that Thai people vote for the death penalty.

By the way, what's the latest and greatest news of the Red Bull Ferrari driver who dragged the cop to his death through the streets of Bangkok? Last news seen was that the police had found traces of drugs in the blood of the driver, the Red Bull heir. This along with the alcohol level being way elevated. Added to the obstruction of justice charges and corruption. The police were promising to wrap up this case by the end of September. Here it is October 10. Has anyone heard anything about this? Is the newspaper being silenced by monied interests? What is going on here with this high profile cop killing and other violations?

• Like 1

I think if someone receives the death penalty, it should be preceded by 10 years in jail first.

This will allow enough time (hopefully) for new evidence to come to light.

Yes, provided that "new evidence" isn't a euphemism for the proper amount of payoff money and the settlement terms?

I think if someone receives the death penalty, it should be preceded by 10 years in jail first.

Yes, provided that "new evidence" isn't a euphemism for the proper amount of payoff money and the settlement terms?

Somewhere like the USA could implement such a system, but as you suggest it could be abused in certain countries.

How about that case of the Red Bull, Ferrari killing of the cop? Has anyone heard about that? Is it going to be capital murder, negligent homicide, or just manslaughter and many other side charges like drunken driving, drugs, reckless driving, reckless endangerment, bribery, corruption, obstruction of justice, ..etc. Has anyone heard anything in the news about this?

Of course this will only apply to those who make it to trial. I doubt this will have any effect on the "Non Official Executions".

Are you talking about the exacutions that take place in prisons using inhumane treatment of prisoners.

"The global trend towards abolition is strong and unmistakable. Two of Thailand's fellow ASEAN Member States, Cambodia and the Philippines, have abolished the death penalty while no executions have been reported in Burma and Laos in the last decade."

They fail to recognize the death of prisoners in those countries due to inhumane treatment.

In regard to the Red Bull incident,

The Royal Thai Police are in conference with various ThaiVisa members seeking advice on the best way to wrap the case up.

Maybe they should. It [the case] would be wrapped up by now and the family of the deceased would be grateful to see justice.

Yes. However if they [the states that do not have the death penalty ] want them dead,they just extradite them to a state where they have committed a capital offence that does have the death penalty.

Your post is disingenuous at best. Only if someone has a capital charge in another state can they be extradited -- and that's not a given -- and if found guilty and given the death penalty, eventually (years later, if ever) be put to death in that state.That is obviously the small minority of cases.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Which is one of the many reasons that only proves why we don't need it in the first place - the cost of convicting and sentencing a person to death is higher then life in prison in most every case in the end - it is a bonus to lawyers when it happens and does nothing to prevent crimes or protect us from crime which has already been proven to be a fact.

Thailand it is a Buddhist Nation and that is reason enough to end it without the US having to lead the way in the remaining states that still have it.

The US is not a Buddhist Nation with a state sponsored religion that does not condone killing. If anyone still wishes leading by example then the monks should be required to do it to show it is OK.

If they wish to continue it in the US the governor of the state should be required to do it or stay the execution option. That last minute call would be a lot easier to answer in time if the governor has the switch in hand.

I'm not an advocate for the death penalty nor defending its use in the US, but I'll point out that in practice due to the right to extensive appeals, 10 years is often less than it takes for someone to be executed if they want to fight it (the average is longer, I believe).

Yes. However if they [the states that do not have the death penalty ] want them dead,they just extradite them to a state where they have committed a capital offence that does have the death penalty.

Your post is disingenuous at best. Only if someone has a capital charge in another state can they be extradited -- and that's not a given -- and if found guilty and given the death penalty, eventually (years later, if ever) be put to death in that state.That is obviously the small minority of cases.

Did you read my post in its entire ???? Did I not state that he was facing CAPITAL charges in another state ? Don't cut parts of a post out so you can make an arguement on false pretences . Some people ..........w00t.gif

• Like 1

Did you read my post in its entire ???? Did I not state that he was facing CAPITAL charges in another state ? Don't cut parts of a post out so you can make an arguement on false pretences . Some people ..........w00t.gif

I only cut out parts of your post to make mine easier to read. I apologize if that upsets you. I did indeed miss the crucial line and I sincerely apologize for that as well.

Allow me to rephrase...

As in the case you cite, only if someone has a capital charge in another state can they be executed in that state. That is the small minority of cases. So your inference that a state that wants someone dead can simply send them elsewhere is not quite correct.

Edited by SteeleJoe

Thailand should abolish the death penalty. It serves no purpose other than revenge which can never be equated with justice. Also:

- The death penalty is never a deterant. Having it or not having on the statute books will not stop people killing each other

- There have been too many people executed who have later been found to be innocent

• Like 1