Vegetarian Festival

femi fan

It starts officially on monday and goes on for eight or nine days i think. Perhaps this thread can be a resource for where to eat. I'd like to invite chiang mai citizens who enjoy vegetarian food to post here participating vendors, shops, and restaurants that they come across during the week so that we can all make sure we don't miss out on this magical time for great food. Chiang Mai does very well for vegetarian restaurants the year round anyway, and this weeklong festival just adds to our luck.

So, when a poster comes across a place that's offering delicious and varied vegetarian food during the festival period could they add to this thread by giving the name and location (with decent directions if need be). We can then have a good list of places to make sure interested eaters don't miss out on the goodies!

• Like 1

I plan on going veg for a little while during this festival.

I seem to have some digestive problems that have developed over the last few years- when I don't eat hard to digest items such as steak, etc. the result is better.

They used to have a large area in Kad Suan Kaew down on the basement floor next to Tops, where every year there were a dozen or so vendors selling "je".

Now that Tops has remodeled, and taken over a lot of the former food court area- who knows what will happen this year.

Hopefully there will be something there- this locale is very convenient to me, as I patronize the gym next door at the Orchid hotel.

I plan on going veg for a little while during this festival.

I seem to have some digestive problems that have developed over the last few years- when I don't eat hard to digest items such as steak, etc. the result is better.

They used to have a large area in Kad Suan Kaew down on the basement floor next to Tops, where every year there were a dozen or so vendors selling "je".

Now that Tops has remodeled, and taken over a lot of the former food court area- who knows what will happen this year.

Hopefully there will be something there- this locale is very convenient to me, as I patronize the gym next door at the Orchid hotel.

They're still in KSK basement level, even at the entrance to Tops.

KSK had about 6 vendors today on the ground floor.

They set up in the large floor space next to the elevators opposite the main entrance to Tops.

Also another vendor just outside Tops to the hard left, as in when you are walking back to the food court, etc.

That's the vendor I bought my food from.

KSK had about 6 vendors today on the ground floor.

They set up in the large floor space next to the elevators opposite the main entrance to Tops.

Also another vendor just outside Tops to the hard left, as in when you are walking back to the food court, etc.

That's the vendor I bought my food from.

I'll be taking a trip over there then!

Incidentally, referring back to your original comments on going veg during the festival to help your digestive problems: despite the disappointment of a lack of places joining in, chiang mai generally does very well for vegetarian restaurants. The food is so good in so many places that it really helps people who find it hard to give up meat, or even to reduce it. My point being that you could continue your 'going veg' for longer than the festival!

Hoping to hear from other posters of some other places participating.

chiang mai generally does very well for vegetarian restaurants. The food is so good in so many places that it really helps people who find it hard to give up meat, or even to reduce it.

Only if one likes Thai food. Since Cafe Compassion closed, things are pretty dismal for other kinds of vegetarian food.

Looked around town quite a bit this lunch time and found very little. Disappointing. I wonder if i'm looking in all the wrong places? I"ve yet to try gad suan gaew, but so far i'm very surprised at the lack of participating places.

Incidentally, referring back to your original comments on going veg during the festival to help your digestive problems: despite the disappointment of a lack of places joining in, chiang mai generally does very well for vegetarian restaurants. The food is so good in so many places that it really helps people who find it hard to give up meat, or even to reduce it. My point being that you could continue your 'going veg' for longer than the festival!

Hoping to hear from other posters of some other places participating.

Rather than looking for new places that are serving vegetarian food for the festival, why not go to the vegetarian restaurants that you know about and list them in your thread. Surely the existing dedicated vegetarian restaurants should be the places to benefit from this festival, rather than regular meat/veg restaurants jumping on the bandwagon for a week.

If I have the wrong end of the stick and what you are looking for is dedicated vegetarian restaurants that you are unaware of, then that would be a good idea. But don't overly support vendors that will just supply vegetarian food for the duration of this event.

Rather than looking for new places that are serving vegetarian food for the festival, why not go to the vegetarian restaurants that you know about and list them in your thread. Surely the existing dedicated vegetarian restaurants should be the places to benefit from this festival, rather than regular meat/veg restaurants jumping on the bandwagon for a week.

If I have the wrong end of the stick and what you are looking for is dedicated vegetarian restaurants that you are unaware of, then that would be a good idea. But don't overly support vendors that will just supply vegetarian food for the duration of this event.

My thread is not about regular vegetarian places in chiang mai, it's about the veg festival. There have been several threads on the former in the past.

The existing places benefit from my patronage frequently, but the three or four that i checked up on yesterday doing my searching have hardly offered anything new for the festival. My understanding, which increasingly looks to be wrong, is that lots of places 'go veg' during this time, not least many thai people who give up meat for a while every year. I expected to find 'stalls' where you could buy bags of food to take home for dinner since most places only open for lunch.

If some meat places 'jump on the bandwagon' for a week, absolutely great. This week is also a consciousness-raising time for people, and a chance for meat-lovers to sample food without it and find out how tasty it can be.

I was in chiang rai at the weekend and some places were getting prepared for the week and had awesome choices of dishes. I really thought chiang mai would be better.

I hope my comments make it clearer to you why i started this thread.

There is a good taste vegetarian restaurant, 50 meters from Chiang Mai gate. http://maps.google.c...2,88.47,,0,-3.1

Thanks for the tip. I've heard about this place before but never looked it up. I found it yesterday on my searching, but it seemed to be offering what it does as normal. I will certainly go back there in the future for some lunch, but meanwhile i hold out hope for other choices fo this week. At the moment it seems the only place that is really acknowledging the festival is ksk. I find this amazing in chiang mai which is so good for veggie food normally. I really thought there'd be more participants, and more of a street area/s to find lots of stalls serving up the food.

chiang mai generally does very well for vegetarian restaurants. The food is so good in so many places that it really helps people who find it hard to give up meat, or even to reduce it.

Only if one likes Thai food. Since Cafe Compassion closed, things are pretty dismal for other kinds of vegetarian food.

I thought it had opened up in a new place, but i may be confusing it with another name. I do presume you know about tian zi, and some places in the sois off moon muang road.

Well, it's a thai vegetarian festival, so i was only expecting to find thai food! Instead i'm finding almost nothing!!

If it has open elsewhere, I have not heard about it. IMO tian zi is good for health oriented people who don't care too much about how tasty the food is. It is OK, but Cafe Compassion was not as health oriented and had some dishes that were much better.

femi fan, where are you looking?? There are simply loads of veg stalls around all showing the red and yellow jae flags and the normal jae shops that usually shut up quite early or at least run out of food not long after lunch seem to be staying open and serving until late in the evening this week. I can't believe you haven't noticed them! You know how to recognise the yellow and red jae signs don't you?

Other top vegetarian places that are always vegetarian are Pun Pun, Blue Diamond, Whole Earth, Aum, Khun Churn, and many more. There is a new one opening this Friday called Anchun.

Hope you managed to find some good vegetarian food femi fan!

While on this topic, I have noticed that many of the packaged foods like even bread, it has the thai jae sign on it but now that I can read the ingredients in Thai I can see that there is fresh milk, butter etc in the ingredients. I then notice that CP etc are selling packaged food with the jae sign on it that is quite obviously cheese based. I always thought jae was total vegan (as I am) and that buying anything that is labelled as jae would be safe. I was wrong? Anyone have any idea about this....

Krups x

I think its more of a timing issue. Seems like the normal veg shops are open their normal times, but the 'seasonal' festival-veg shops are mostly at night. If you stop by the various outdoor markets, they are pretty normal throughout the day, but at night you notice all the 'seasonal' shops.

Jae=vegetarian. There is nothing necessarily "safe" about vegan food; it can be loaded with pesticides and preservatives. I don't trust anything on labels here.

I meant safe as in does not contain animal products. I always thought jae (เจ) was total vegan now I am worried about what I have misunderstood.

No, its a generalization of vegetarian. There are further classifications of jae, that break down to vegan, vegetarian, egg eaters, milk drinkers, etc

Jae=vegetarian. There is nothing necessarily "safe" about vegan food; it can be loaded with pesticides and preservatives. I don't trust anything on labels here.

I meant safe as in does not contain animal products. I always thought jae (เจ) was total vegan now I am worried about what I have misunderstood.

I meant safe as in does not contain animal products.

Yes it boggles the mind how homo sapiens ever made it this far with their mammary glands and canine teeth.

I was speaking personally, not about the human race, as a vegan diet is my personal choice. Foods that do not contain animal products are safe, foods that do contain animal products are not safe to me.

Krups

Blue Diamond in MM Soi 9?

Jay is totally vegan.

Actually more strict than vegan, because vegans typically drink alcohol (which is definitely not Jay), plus other things such as garlic.

Jay is totally vegan.

Actually more strict than vegan, because vegans typically drink alcohol (which is definitely not Jay), plus other things such as garlic.

You could well be right about that WTK. One place here advertises jae "vegan" and the other not and no one I ask seems to know for sure! Apologies to Krupnik for bad info...

femi fan, where are you looking?? There are simply loads of veg stalls around all showing the red and yellow jae flags and the normal jae shops that usually shut up quite early or at least run out of food not long after lunch seem to be staying open and serving until late in the evening this week. I can't believe you haven't noticed them! You know how to recognise the yellow and red jae signs don't you?

Other top vegetarian places that are always vegetarian are Pun Pun, Blue Diamond, Whole Earth, Aum, Khun Churn, and many more. There is a new one opening this Friday called Anchun.

Hope you managed to find some good vegetarian food femi fan!

While on this topic, I have noticed that many of the packaged foods like even bread, it has the thai jae sign on it but now that I can read the ingredients in Thai I can see that there is fresh milk, butter etc in the ingredients. I then notice that CP etc are selling packaged food with the jae sign on it that is quite obviously cheese based. I always thought jae was total vegan (as I am) and that buying anything that is labelled as jae would be safe. I was wrong? Anyone have any idea about this....

Krups x

I've been looking in a lot of places! Ta pae road, chang moi road, the walking street road, and many of the central town roads. Please tell me where the loads of veg stalls are!

This is exactly what i've been looking for. The best i've seen, the only one i've really seen, is in kad suan kaew on the bottom floor. I'm not really looking at my favourite veg restaurants and eating places because i go to them all year round. I just kind of expected lots of food stalls as you have mentioned would pop up. Where have you seen them?

The places you mention are all favourites of mine, although i don't know about Anchun. Where will i find that?

Incidentally, jae is supposed to be no animal foods, but as with most things in thailand, rules are 'flexible'!

I am seeing red and yellow flagged places all over town, There is a good stand at Kad Luang that just opened, location is near the gai yang***** stand . Morning until sold out.

All over town. Nice.

Loads of places. Nice.

But where are these red and yellow flags??!

Can i reiterate the premise of my thread, to post up specific places and where they are?

Gad luang is the only one i've found, thanks to mcgriffiths.

This vegetarian festival seems very mystical or mythical to me so far!