Rayong Water Supply Hijacked By Thieves

webfact

Rayong water supply hijacked by thieves

By Staff Reporter

electric1.jpg

RAYONG: -- A large district has water supply cut off by thieves

A large area within the Rayong district, South of Pattaya, saw both commercial and domestic water supplies dry up this week and investigators went to the pumping station, only to find that someone had been there before them, and cut the power supply cable, stealing 50 metres of valuable copper cable and, at the same time, rendering the whole pumping station useless.

Within the City, Schools along with Hospitals, shops businesses and homes were all without water, causing, in some cases the schools to close as they are all supplied by the new pumping station.

Avoiding the security guards, the thieves took a huge risk to steal the high voltage cables, a risk that has, in the past, proven fatal on numerous occasions and authorities are of the opinion that the criminals were not amateurs but instead, when found, will prove to be experienced electricians as the cables were live at the time when they were removed.

Full story: http://www.pattaya10...ked-by-thieves/

pattaya_103_fm.png
--Pattaya 103 FM 2012-10-18

footer_n.gif

Desperate times but would love to find out how copper cable on the exterior of a transformer can render a pumping station useless or is that just a delay in getting it up and running again when another batch of copper can be found? Doubt the value of the copper would be worth the risk but some thieves really don't take that into account.

Desperate times but would love to find out how copper cable on the exterior of a transformer can render a pumping station useless or is that just a delay in getting it up and running again when another batch of copper can be found? Doubt the value of the copper would be worth the risk but some thieves really don't take that into account.

One suspects the cables concerned powered the pumps....I dont think the photo shown is actually from the pump station

Got to be a bit more than just '50m of cable' as water still off in our part of Rayong City after 40 hours.

Running on back up tanks at the moment.

In the photo from the op the ladder looks, from its length, to be bamboo and at least the fuses are disconnected to isolate the transformer he is climbing. Note the Tx to the left still has fuses in.

One suspects the cables concerned powered the pumps....I dont think the photo shown is actually from the pump station

I can understand your suspicion ;) but in fact it is from the site. i just added the other 2 which are equally uninteresting but do show the ladder is bamboo. a slow news day all round from what I can see. I would post them here but dont think u can post pics on TV

kind regards

tommy

In the photo from the op the ladder looks, from its length, to be bamboo and at least the fuses are disconnected to isolate the transformer he is climbing. Note the Tx to the left still has fuses in.

Fuses ?....dont they use breakers these days ? you can see fuses this in this photo ?

Water just starting to flow at our location, very low pressure, will pass on the first hour or so as water is cloudy. Hope tank supply lasts.

Easily solved...someone need to give Science minister Plopadop a call and borrow some of his water moving machines...thumbsup.gif

Fuses ?....dont they use breakers these days ? you can see fuses this in this photo ?

Well I think so, photo in original post, above the right hand transformer three 'dangly bits' (sorry to use technical term) I think are fuses. Notice in left hand transformer they ( the dangly bits) are in place not hanging.

For info , water is now off again (for me).

..... and one suspects an electrician will make more money off actually doing electrical work than what they would get for the scap value of 50m of copper cable...

Check the cost of thick copper cable used to supply power to large transformers. You will be very surprised. That stuff is worth stealing even in the most highly-paid countries of the world.

got to love the logic put forward by the authorites...a gang of rogue electricans are doing this because the cables were live....rolleyes.gif

One suspects a competant electrician would be able to nick the cables wihout getting himself electrocuted, and one suspects an electrician will make more money off actually doing electrical work than what they would get for the scap value of 50m of copper cable...

My opinion a gang of yahoo's with an aluminum ladder and a hacksaw...biggrin.png ....seen the net result of this in Africa, two gentlemen attempted to nick some live 6.6kv cable with a hacksaw and aluminum ladder, as always with safety first thing in one of the gentleman's minds...he held the aluminum ladder for his collegue with hacksaw, so the ladder didnt fall over, but didnt work out too well for either of them...rolleyes.gif

The photo in this article shows great electrical safety practices I see...is that a steel or aluminum ladder I see....whistling.gif

nice to see he has his hard hat on...but is that flip flops he has on his feet...?

He is climbing a bamboo ladder,, what if it rains?

got to love the logic put forward by the authorites...a gang of rogue electricans are doing this because the cables were live....rolleyes.gif

One suspects a competant electrician would be able to nick the cables wihout getting himself electrocuted, and one suspects an electrician will make more money off actually doing electrical work than what they would get for the scap value of 50m of copper cable...

My opinion a gang of yahoo's with an aluminum ladder and a hacksaw...biggrin.png ....seen the net result of this in Africa, two gentlemen attempted to nick some live 6.6kv cable with a hacksaw and aluminum ladder, as always with safety first thing in one of the gentleman's minds...he held the aluminum ladder for his collegue with hacksaw, so the ladder didnt fall over, but didnt work out too well for either of them...rolleyes.gif

The photo in this article shows great electrical safety practices I see...is that a steel or aluminum ladder I see....whistling.gif

nice to see he has his hard hat on...but is that flip flops he has on his feet...?

Actually you would probably find that almost all workers in Thailand use bamboo ladders. You are correct about the flip flops though, but they are made of rubber so provide great insulation.

I love the statement that the thieves avoided the security guard. Walk in with a 5 m bamboo ladder and enough tools to disconnect the cable, then roll up 50 m (probably weighed as much as one of the thieves) of high voltage cable and head back out without the security guard noticing. clap2.gif

• Like 1

No they use breakers in buildings, supply lines use fuses.

Rayong water supply hijacked by thieves

The title implies the thieves took the water, which would have been a more interesting story. Imagine thieves break into the pumping station, digging a tunnel, connecting 50 km of pipe and diverting the water to their parched land. The thieves believe nobody will notice this newly installed pipe and follow it to the final destination to locate the hijacked water!

• Like 2

Imagine thieves break into the pumping station, digging a tunnel, connecting 50 km of pipe and diverting the water to their parched land. The thieves believe nobody will notice this newly installed pipe and follow it to the final destination to locate the hijacked water!

You have figured out Science ministers Plopadop's cunning plan to supply water to drought stricken North East....biggrin.png

..... and one suspects an electrician will make more money off actually doing electrical work than what they would get for the scap value of 50m of copper cable...

Check the cost of thick copper cable used to supply power to large transformers. You will be very surprised. That stuff is worth stealing even in the most highly-paid countries of the world.

This has been a massive problem in Australia for years now. Lots more work in the security guard sector, but they're still getting away with it. They are obviously very organised too at the top of the food chain, as there are a lot of big coils disappearing from construction/renovation sites - by big, I mean coils as tall as me and probably as wide as they are tall - they would take a lot of lifting gear to fall onto the back of a lorry. There must be massive money in it.

Breakers are not weather oriented and not suited for this duty. If they get damagedd... tomany different manufactures and mountings. Even indoors large electrical break points are still protected with Solid fuses. Cost effective! and do job very well.smile.png

Line Votage is always protected by "Shotgun Fuses" They named because they sound like a Blast from Shotgun (Rifle) when shorted. Bast (Flash) can be seen and heard for miles. The internal links in them are replaceable. (In the field you just look for hanging fuse... with Fuse Pole (fiberglass composite) you attach to fuse and unhook it while on ground if pole long enough. Unscrew case remove discharged link replace reassemble, hook fuse back on bottom support and swing fuse up and push to connect!) Easy to spot where trouble is if during storm, crew just does a drive-by of transformer sights and looks for hanging fuse.... Then for cause (if storm)thumbsup.gif

Another note same "fuse casing" can be used for multiple amperage links. carry boxes of different size (amperage) links, maybe 100 in box, and maybe 10-20 fuse cases. Some crews just replace complete assembly and rebuild later... quicker! (More Nap Time)tongue.png

He is climbing a bamboo ladder,, what if it rains?

Not to worry, he's wearing Buddha amulets.

• Like 1

Breakers are not weather oriented and not suited for this duty. If they get damagedd... tomany different manufactures and mountings. Even indoors large electrical break points are still protected with Solid fuses. Cost effective! and do job very well.smile.png

Line Votage is always protected by "Shotgun Fuses" They named because they sound like a Blast from Shotgun (Rifle) when shorted. Bast (Flash) can be seen and heard for miles. The internal links in them are replaceable. (In the field you just look for hanging fuse... with Fuse Pole (fiberglass composite) you attach to fuse and unhook it while on ground if pole long enough. Unscrew case remove discharged link replace reassemble, hook fuse back on bottom support and swing fuse up and push to connect!) Easy to spot where trouble is if during storm, crew just does a drive-by of transformer sights and looks for hanging fuse.... Then for cause (if storm)thumbsup.gif

Another note same "fuse casing" can be used for multiple amperage links. carry boxes of different size (amperage) links, maybe 100 in box, and maybe 10-20 fuse cases. Some crews just replace complete assembly and rebuild later... quicker! (More Nap Time)tongue.png

Thank you, I didn't want to go into that much detail, but now the rest of TV has a better idea why fuses are used instead of breakers.

Actually you would probably find that almost all workers in Thailand use bamboo ladders. You are correct about the flip flops though, but they are made of rubber so provide great insulation.

I love the statement that the thieves avoided the security guard. Walk in with a 5 m bamboo ladder and enough tools to disconnect the cable, then roll up 50 m (probably weighed as much as one of the thieves) of high voltage cable and head back out without the security guard noticing. clap2.gif

Seems the cable was more alive than the security... coffee1.gif

Come on ,he has to catch up on his sleep sometime so that he can do his day jobbiggrin.png