Thailand Theme Park Continues To Host Orangutan Kickboxing Matches

webfact

Thailand Theme Park Continues to Host Orangutan Kickboxing Matches

BY AUDREY HAYNES

Endangered primates still exploited for amusement despite years of protests by animal welfare activists and anti-trafficking crackdowns

BANGKOK: -- I recently found out that Safari World, an animal theme park on the outskirts of Bangkok, hosts orangutan kickboxing matches. Captive orangutans, dressed in lurid satin shorts and boxing gloves, kick and punch each other until there is a knockout.

The performances even feature female orangutans in bikinis holding up the round number. The matches last more than 30 minutes, after which the orangutans are returned to their dark cages. Video footage of the park shows tourists cheering the grotesque display.

Safari World insists that the orangutans are trained to pretend punch and feign knock-outs, however, animal rights activists say that the large animals could easily injure one another.

“The use of endangered species for sport and entertainment is appalling. These critically endangered orangutans do not exist for our entertainment; local indigenous populations should know this, and tourists must be sensitive to this. We as a species and global population did not develop to exploit animals for amusement,” Michael Muehlenbein, professor of anthropology at Indiana University told me via email.

Muehlenbein has spent a lot of time in Borneo studying primate disease ecology and the potential negative effects of interactions between humans and wild animals.

Full story: http://www.earthisla...kboxing_matches

-- Earth Island Journal 2012-10-23

footer_n.gif

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad stuff. Shame on any tourists that pay to go and see such degrading spectacles as these.

Without the tourists' support, there wouldn't be this despicable spectacle.

From the thaivisa archives comes this post from NINE years ago. The mindset being that apparently there aren't other sights that would also puts smiles on children's faces.

Posted 2003-11-27 18:44:06

Hi all

Went on an excursion to Safari World today and have to say really enjoyed myself. Before anyone jumps down my throat about cruelty to animals or the problems this place has had with licenses, I understand all these things. Anyway, I pushed them to the back of my mind as the smiles on my children's faces takes precedence. If you have children or just want to see something different it's worth visiting. The orangutan boxing show had me and my ducklings in stitches, along with the dolphin and seal shows. I must admit was a bit worried about the polar bear feeding show - the bear looked very grumpy and it was quite hot today. Once again sorry to the animal lovers who don't approve

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

Sad stuff. Shame on any tourists that pay to go and see such degrading spectacles as these.

From the thaivisa archives comes this post from NINE years ago. The mindset being that apparently there aren't other sights that would also puts smiles on children's faces.

Hi all

Went on an excursion to Safari World today and have to say really enjoyed myself. Before anyone jumps down my throat about cruelty to animals or the problems this place has had with licenses, I understand all these things. Anyway, I pushed them to the back of my mind as the smiles on my children's faces takes precedence. If you have children or just want to see something different it's worth visiting. The orangutan boxing show had me and my ducklings in stitches, along with the dolphin and seal shows. I must admit was a bit worried about the polar bear feeding show - the bear looked very grumpy and it was quite hot today. Once again sorry to the animal lovers who don't approve

http://www.thaivisa...._-25#entry31008

I love that line! The smile on children's faces take precedence over animal cruelty! Lets hope they don't get a kick out of pulling the legs of cats,...'hang on son i'll just get the meat cleaver and we can have a right laaaarf chopping tiddles up"

I do think some animal rights activists go to far sometimes, and are often grossly hypocritical, and would have to stay nap on this until I saw it. Is it simply the same as any sea lion /seal show? Seems a bit distasteful for the most intelligent and compassionate primate to be throwing punches at each other for human entertainment. It's not the kind of thing I would take my kids too but each to their own.

• Like 2

Have you actually seen the show?

Dusit Zoo has Orangutan boxing & it's hilarious. It's a show, a joke. The Orangutans are not actually hitting each other, it's just a couple of them dressing in Muay Thai garb & doing a funny show. There's even a 'dolly bird' Orangutan coming on between rounds holding up the round card.

These Orangutans are NOT kicking and punching each other until there is a knockout. These are trained performing animals. Do you really think you could traing two powerful animals like this to REALLY punch each other without 'going ape' and REALLY getting into the sort of fight 2 adult apes would have.

The article is sensationalism. Of course, if you find trained Orangutans performing a scripted show, fair enough. But boxing? 2 chimps going at it until there is a knockout? It's total nonsense, not happening, sensationalist journalism at it's worst.

• Like 2

IMHO it is necessary to "train" these animals, so they have something "to do", meaning : keeping them active, otherwise they litterally could die of boredome. I am not sure, that a display like a boxing- show is ideal, as there may be other opportunities, but...

I think, there should be a limit to which animals a zoo should be allowed to keep, though. A polar- bear in Thailand (and I pressume, in an open air- display)...that is animal- cruelty at its worst!

Have you actually seen the show?

Dusit Zoo has Orangutan boxing & it's hilarious. It's a show, a joke. The Orangutans are not actually hitting each other, it's just a couple of them dressing in Muay Thai garb & doing a funny show. There's even a 'dolly bird' Orangutan coming on between rounds holding up the round card.

These Orangutans are NOT kicking and punching each other until there is a knockout. These are trained performing animals. Do you really think you could traing two powerful animals like this to REALLY punch each other without 'going ape' and REALLY getting into the sort of fight 2 adult apes would have.

The article is sensationalism. Of course, if you find trained Orangutans performing a scripted show, fair enough. But boxing? 2 chimps going at it until there is a knockout? It's total nonsense, not happening, sensationalist journalism at it's worst.

Of course this is a far better plan than rehabilitation.

• Like 2

Hi all

http://www.thaivisa...._-25#entry31008

Based on the dopey attempt to justify herself in that post with 'i once joined animal lib I THINK' I realize that Nat rhymes with a word that begins with 'tw'

• Like 1

These Orangutans are NOT kicking and punching each other until there is a knockout. These are trained performing animals.

How do you think they're trained? Scooby snacks maybe? Or maybe in some ways you'd rather not have to explain to your kids? Get a clue, dude.

• Like 2

IMHO it is necessary to "train" these animals, so they have something "to do", meaning : keeping them active, otherwise they litterally could die of boredome. I am not sure, that a display like a boxing- show is ideal, as there may be other opportunities, but...

I think, there should be a limit to which animals a zoo should be allowed to keep, though. A polar- bear in Thailand (and I pressume, in an open air- display)...that is animal- cruelty at its worst!

Perhaps if they were left in their natural habitat, they wouldn't get bored.

• Like 2

Meanwhile, book me for a slot on the Elephant Polo tour.

It's one thing to see locals and tourists laughing at ridiculous kickboxing urangutans - but nothing wrong racing on regal elephants with other rich bankers and the creme of Thai high-society.

All of you who think that this is Cruel.... I guess You are all Vegetarian....

I am not saying these activities are not cruelty but there are other things that are more serious and are neglected. Why just the Orangutang? Why not other animals held captive? That is also cruelty. How many of you who condemn this show, has been to the Safari Park or any Zoo?

It is easy to point at others, but not so easy to start doing what you believe.

Meanwhile, book me for a slot on the Elephant Polo tour.

It's one thing to see locals and tourists laughing at ridiculous kickboxing urangutans - but nothing wrong racing on regal elephants with other rich bankers and the creme of Thai high-society.

"the creme of Thai high-society" - would that be clotted cream ??

"female orangutans in bikinis"

Wishful thinking = hope not too many TV members are breathing heavy thinking about this. Come to think of it, there already may be some at go go's.

Made to sleep with some expats may come under the category of cruelty to animals?

Edited by atyclb

Humans really have done the job on orangutans - destroyed their habitat, hunted them to the brink of extinction, snatched infants for a lucrative market in cute primates and the ultimate indignity: for our amusement we dress them up as ourselves and train them to imitate our behaviour.

Its a depressing reflection on how humanity has no respect for the world and the other living things we share it with.

Speak for yourself!