Motorcycle International Border Crossings + Person Protection

Hey whats up guys

I'm about to get the greenbook for my bike in my name finally, and I'm wanting to travel a little bit with my bike (Honda NSR150). I've already been to Phnom Penh, Cambodia, but I am considering going back again as a roadtrip on my bike. I'm wondering if there are any special procedures I have to go through to cross a border or if I just simply drive across and stop at immigration.. Also considering driving to Vientiane, Laos since it's only a short drive from the border which makes me less nervous than driving through Cambodia's wildwest.

I have a NSR150 SP as well as many other bikes Wave to Ninja. And I ride about 100,000 km a year on them, But Why would you do a long ride on an NSR150 ? My CBR150 or Ninja use half the fuel and are more comfortable for 600 km days in the saddle. I did Pattaya to Chiang Mai a few things, My bike is in showroom condition. My friend on his NSR150RR broke twice ont he way and both times it was a few days wait for parts to arrive

At the boarder you need all your documents as well as copies and proof of insurance,, Thai DL etc. GT Rider has a wonderful web site that tells how to cross and what is needed

I've had the problems fixed. Thats why I'm not sure about doing Cambodia, but if my bike breaks down in Thailand so what. and Vientiane is close to the border so chances are if my bikes going to break it'll do it before I cross and if it breaks just over the border and I'm in a major city still doesn't really matter.

What else do you suggest I use to go? I don't have a car or 4bikes. I have my NSR and thats it. I'm doing it for the experience anyway. If it breaks down and I end up walking down a street to find a mechanic in the middle of nowhere all the more of a story for when I get old and grey to tell my grandkids or eventual kids one day.

• Like 1

NSR 150RR is extremely comfortable and safe for long trips. Easily fixed if any problems. What I would suggest to the OP is to explore around Thailand first, plenty of places to visit here. If you manage to go legally into Cambodia, roads are a lot worse there (yes, that is possible). In any case, enjoy and be safe.

No bikes allowed across the Friendship Bridge from Nong Khai to Vientiane. Closest crossing is Bueng Kan, way north, 120km. Coming back is OK, though. (Some have reported reopening of Friendship bridge TO Laos in 2011, but I have heard recently that Laos has closed it to bikes again).

... I have my NSR and thats it. I'm doing it for the experience anyway. If it breaks down and I end up walking down a street to find a mechanic in the middle of nowhere all the more of a story for when I get old and grey to tell my grandkids or eventual kids one day.

Good on ya, now that's a rare and proper biker attitude. You GO Boy.. and post pix!

No bikes allowed across the Friendship Bridge from Nong Khai to Vientiane. Closest crossing is Bueng Kan, way north, 120km. Coming back is OK, though. (Some have reported reopening of Friendship bridge TO Laos in 2011, but I have heard recently that Laos has closed it to bikes again).

The Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai is open to bikes & has been again for over a year. Have a look at this Long Weekend Getaway for a trip report crossing the bridge earler this month. The trip Bangkok -Luang Prabang & return.

Edited by davidgtr

... I have my NSR and thats it. I'm doing it for the experience anyway. If it breaks down and I end up walking down a street to find a mechanic in the middle of nowhere all the more of a story for when I get old and grey to tell my grandkids or eventual kids one day.

Good on ya, now that's a rare and proper biker attitude. You GO Boy.. and post pix!

I agree, biking is about adventure, check everything you can and then go. I have a 2005 Phantom and am thinking about such a trip, recently had a couple of issues with the bike, now fixed, but what the hell you can push a bike, not a car.

I am not into doing 600km a day though, 200 at a push at a relaxed 60kph, slower if the road are iffy. Falling off is my concern...don't wanna do that..........

Post pictures, or video if you can.

Edited by AllanB