Must See Places To Visit In Thailand

watgate

So I realize this is primarily a Chiang Mai site but based on my observations there are many individuals on this site who are very knowledgeable and informed about the country of Thailand as a whole. With that said, I am interested in any feedback concerning areas or regions of Thailand that someone has visited or lived in and they felt the area was a "must" see for other individuals. I have traveled a little through Thailand but would like to visit special places which really stir your soul or take your breath away. For whatever reason, maybe the scenery or the uniqueness of the region, any input would be appreciated.

A friend of mine got married in his wife's home village in Issan. It may not be a scenic vista but it was a experience I will always treasure. The lack of satellite dishes and street lights. Just homes in various conditions. We had to find accommodations 10 miles away. For the wedding the neighboring village was invited.

On another tour I went on they took us to a village of long neck women. They had the usual tourist showings but you could wander trough the jungle and see the homes they live in.

Phang Nga National Park and province in general is very beautiful, not just James Bond island which is all most tourists see. Some of the windy roads lead to almost hidden valleys or scenic viewpoints... elephants grazing alongside the road and limestone formations or caves that will take your breath away. The coast around Kao Lak is rugged and beautiful too... a boat trip into Myanmar from Ranong is worthwhile.

A road trip through Petchabun province, (north of BKK) is very scenic and NE of Chiang Mai, visit Pai and Phang Mapha caves on the road to Mae Hong Son.

• Like 1

I can relate to HelloDolly because last year when I was in Chiang Mai for 2 months, I went with this sweet Thai girl to a wedding reception her cousin was having in Lampang. It was a blast. I made a complete arse out of myself, I drank too much and danced the night away with her amongst scores of Thai villagers form the surrounding village who were in attendance. It was so cool to be the only farang amongst all the Thai folks and everyone was jovial and having a great time. It was a unique experience and one I will remember the rest of my life. Captain Rob's description has my insides stirring because the places he has described sound like the places I am seeking out. Thanks for the input.

I'd also go with Khao Sok and Phang-nga. While in CM, be sure to head up to Buathong Falls.

Si Satchanalai and the nearby digs & museums--and the ride there from Sukothai (where all the tourists are)--is very atmospheric.

123.jpg

The walk through Hellfire Pass near Kan.

Than Bokkharani National Park near Krabi and the walk up to Krabi's Tiger Temple.

Koh Lipe right down south.

Edited by jackr

I'd also go with Khao Sok and Phang-nga. While in CM, be sure to head up to Buathong Falls.

Si Satchanalai and the nearby digs & museums--and the ride there from Sukothai (where all the tourists are)--is very atmospheric.

123.jpg

The walk through Hellfire Pass near Kan.

Than Bokkharani National Park near Krabi and the walk up to Krabi's Tiger Temple.

Koh Lipe right down south.

I have a mobility problem yet I could make it down the very well built and maintained stairway by Australia to the Hells Fire pass. If you know the story of it's building it is truly awesome. It took me over ten minutes to get back up it. I can hardly imagine the horrendous climb by the builders. I am sure they were in a lot worse shape than me and had no steps to use.

edit

Sorry I don't recognize the picture where is it and what is it's name?

Edited by hellodolly

Very few tourists ever stop in Phang Nga town itself yet there's a magnificent Municipal Park just south of town, opposite the Land Transport offices. There's a limestone cave with drive-thru tunnel, colony of monkeys and manicured grounds >

PNpark3.JPG

I have a mobility problem yet I could make it down the very well built and maintained stairway by Australia to the Hells Fire pass. If you know the story of it's building it is truly awesome. It took me over ten minutes to get back up it. I can hardly imagine the horrendous climb by the builders. I am sure they were in a lot worse shape than me and had no steps to use.

edit

Sorry I don't recognize the picture where is it and what is it's name?

Yeah, Hellfire Pass is pretty special including that route around the back. The driving all around that area from Kan is nice, plus the Erawan Falls are in the region and river trips are nice. I did put up some pics but the forum won't let you post certain extensions.

The other pic was Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat in Si Satchanalai Historical Park, 50-odd kms north of Sukothai. Same sort of ruins but set within a stunning wooded area. Some of the temples look almost forgotten and are quite eerie, with very few tourists about. Last time I went you could get in with the ticket from Sukothai, though entry itself is cheap. It's quite spread but they let you take your car in... some people were on elephant-back even. Nearby are old kilns.

Op should perhaps also consider Doi Angkhang while in the region (can stay within the Royal Project) or outside at the Amari or cheaper digs. Nice drive up the back route from Chiang Dao (which is also worthy of a night for the 'touristy' cave and 'non-touristy' mountain temple).

Doi Ang Khang

doiangkhang.jpg

Also up that way (beyond Fang) is Mae Salong on the back route to Chiang Rai. You also have Pai, Mae Hong Son etc, but these places are a bit more discerning and less touristy.

^^ elektrified, while Chaweng is nice, the first image is almost certainly that of Ang Thong National Marine Park (from the viewpoint on the main island), which is off towards the mainland. It can be visited as a daytrip from Samui or Pha Ngan and kayaked around.

^^ elektrified, while Chaweng is nice, the first image is almost certainly that of Ang Thong National Marine Park (from the viewpoint on the main island), which is off towards the mainland. It can be visited as a daytrip from Samui or Pha Ngan and kayaked around.

You are right. I did not study it carefully before posting. The entire island is lovely (but is not what it once was -- like when I first visited i 1989). It has been over-developed........like everywhere.sad.png

Op should perhaps also consider Doi Angkhang while in the region (can stay within the Royal Project) or outside at the Amari or cheaper digs. Nice drive up the back route from Chiang Dao (which is also worthy of a night for the 'touristy' cave and 'non-touristy' mountain temple).

Doi Ang Khang

doiangkhang.jpg

Also up that way (beyond Fang) is Mae Salong on the back route to Chiang Rai. You also have Pai, Mae Hong Son etc, but these places are a bit more discerning and less touristy.

Doi Ankhang has really beautiful scenery but unless you're the hiking or flower garden admirer type, there's not that much to do. The poppy fields that grew all over the doi back in the 80s are long gone, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Edited by weary

• 1 year later...

Doi Ang Khang

doiangkhang.jpg

Doi Ankhang has really beautiful scenery but unless you're the hiking or flower garden admirer type, there's not that much to do.

The wife and I are planning to go in January. Should be right frosty.

Anyway we are driving up from CM, staying a couple of nights in Fang, up to Angkhang via 1249. Then back to CM via 1340. Will a 4x2 Hilux Vigo do OK. Any recent experience/ road conditions greatly appreciated.

I have daughters aged 22 and 18 visiting next June for 3 weeks.

I want to show them some of the culture of Thailand but also include well known tourist areas. For the latter I would have in mind spending some time in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and few days relaxing in Krabi. Beyond that, I am open to suggestions.

Doi Ang Khang

doiangkhang.jpg

Doi Ankhang has really beautiful scenery but unless you're the hiking or flower garden admirer type, there's not that much to do.

Anyway we are driving up from CM, staying a couple of nights in Fang, up to Angkhang via 1249. Then back to CM via 1340. Will a 4x2 Hilux Vigo do OK. Any recent experience/ road conditions greatly appreciated.

Do not due this trip over the New Years holiday. The highways to and from Chiang Mai and northern Thailand are a nightmare. This holiday is Number 1 for road deaths.

Doi Ang Khang

doiangkhang.jpg

Do not due this trip over the New Years holiday. The highways to and from Chiang Mai and northern Thailand are a nightmare. This holiday is Number 1 for road deaths.

Gotta say that surprises me. Have done quite a bit of driving in Jungwat CM and CR and thought it was much steadier than central Thailand. Once drove from BKK on NYE and was a nervous wreck by the time we got to Uttaradit for an overnite. Brilliant night in The Indian pub tho.