My Girlfriend Wants To Ride An Elephant

FuninPlural

The camp near Hang chat between Lampang and Chang Mai is a well run hospital and recovery center for elephants that has a show and rides. They also have long stay you can live there and help take care of the elephants. There is nothing wrong with the way things are done there - you will enjoy it and support the recovery efforts as this is not just a tourist dump.

http://www.thailandelephant.org/en/

• Like 1

Pattara elephant farm in Chiang Mai, very good place and they treat the elephants wonderfully.

I also were in Muang Sing elephant camp in Kanchanaburi and although they don't look abused I didn't get the wonderful experience I got in Chiang Mai (small camp, very close to the towns, they also made this kind of stupid elephant shows, etc)

If you wish to do it in Central Bangkok (Huai Khwang), consider visiting the Thai Cultural Show Siam Niramit.

The show starts at 20.00hrs, but our gates open at 17.30hrs for access to the restaurant, and to give visitors a chance to enjoy our other attractions...

• Village of the Four Regions
  • Traditional Thai Massage
  • Outdoor performances
  • Elephant feeding & rides

Over the years I've been there a few times, taken the sister, the Thai gf's Mum ... really enjoyed it.

The show is arguably Broadway quality.

Not expensive, but hunt around for discounted tickets.

Go a couple of hours before the advertised Show time because there are heaps of things to see and do before the show.

I'm not going to watch those videos. I appreciate the info. As for Chiang Mai, I'm sure the place is wonderful, but it'd be more of a "me by myself" kind of trip. My gf doesn't usually go in for all that "cultural" stuff, as silly and ignorant as it sounds. I will look more into this Siam Niramit show. Also, is it advisable to buy the tickets online or in-person? Seating-wise, are the more expensive ones (i.e. the better seats) actually better? Where would I get the discount tickets by the way?

Go on the train to Ayuthaya. For bt50 each (her ticket is free if she is Thai) you get a 1 1/2 hour train ride, then right across from the station rent a motorbike for bt100 for the day, and head for the old historic temples (the rental shop has a free map), and you can ride an elephant there.

Another option, and combine a nice beach trip in with it is to take the bus to Koh Chang island 5 hours away from Bangkok. There are nice West facing beaches for great sunsets, and a few elephant riding places through the jungle.

Edited by koolbreez

Show her this video

This video is the only good answer to her request to ride elephants. There are no "cleaner, cuter elephants" for tourist rides, regardless how nicely they are presented.

Besides the brutal methods used in "training" the animals, their popularity as tourist attractions also fuels the illegal capture and trafficking of wild elephants. In the wild, mothers are often killed in order to catch and remove the baby, as the mother has strong protective instincts and would usually try to defend her baby against the scumbags traffickers.

Some of the elephant rescue/ recovery camps are fake, especially ones that offer rides. However, there are others that are genuinely engaged in rescue and rehabilitation work such as:

http://www.elephantnaturepark.org/index.htm

http://www.blesele.org/

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Please don't partake in any of these activities......

Why you might ask???

Because, truthfully, in order for these majestic creatures to perform such acts for our "entertainment", they go through a horrific and torturous training ritual known in Thailand as the Phajaan. The Phajaan torture ritual of domestication and breaking the elephant's spirit that has been practiced for generations in Thailand and many other Southeast Asian countries.

If you really want to see what this is about, have a look on Youtube. Please be aware some scenes are graphic.

My message here to you today is not to gross you out or scare you, but to help inform you of any travel decisions you may make regarding "elephant entertainment".

Elephants were never meant to be domesticated by humans. Anytime an elephant allows a stranger to get on its back, or draws a fabulous painting, or contorts its body in a circus ring........it has gone through the Phajaan. Elephants were meant to roam this earth free as we do.

There are wonderful alternatives to elephant trekking, elephant painting, elephant circuses, feeding begging street elephants.........

Here are some options that will put your conscience at ease and not continue the demand for torturing elephants for our "entertainment".

Elephant Nature Park--45 minutes from Chang Mai, Thailand

http://www.elephantnaturepark.org/

https://www.facebook...ups/2278435540/

A wonderful sanctuary for abused, neglected, and physically disabled Asian elephants. The best alternative to elephant trekking, elephant circus, elephant painting. Here you can volunteer for a week or more. Accommodations are kept clean and are basic. Day trips here are fabulous too--you get to feed , bathe and interact with the elephants and their mahouts. There are no bull hooks, no riding, no painting, no circus acts, or violence used ever on the elephants---just love and compassion. It is truly a magical place that Lek has created.

The Chiang Mai Project

Helping the Vieng Ping Children's Home and Friends of the Asian Elephant

http://www.chiangmai...com/?page_id=18

The Asian Elephant Hospital, run by Friends of the Asian Elephant (FAE), is the only hospital of its kind offering care to injured and abused elephants. Founded by Soraida Salwala, the hospital is sponsored by her parent organization Friends of the Asian Elephant, whose purpose is to stop the export of Asian elephants, provide education regarding imminent extinction, and supply medical care to elephants that have been abused or abandoned by their owners, or injured by stepping on landmines while crossing into Burma. Salwala estimates that if action isn’t taken to preserve and care for these majestic, time-honored representatives of Thailand, they will be gone within 50 years.

These fabulous facilities are definitely worth the time and can use your donations/fees much more than the trekking camps, circuses, elephant painting places........and you may just find a true connection with an elephant that WANTS to connect with you--not forced to have a connection with you.

I spent a week at Elephant Nature Park, and it forever changed how I looked at elephants--I am now a strong advocate for those like Lek and Soraida trying to preserve the Asian elephant species for generations to come.

so, now you know the rest of the story.............please be kind and make a more naturalistic choice when it comes to being close to these majestic creatures....... Edited by Georgiegal