Chiangmai Maesai Mini Van Visa Run Van Service - Any Recommendation ?

Ta22

i am looking for Chiangmai Maesai mini Van visa run service .

Pick up in Chiangmai and drop at Maesai Border return trip .

Anyone used any good service and have a number i can call up .

One of my relative need this service for a Tourist visa extension.

Looking for a decent and comfort one as the traveler is old folk.

All recommendation is welcome thanks in advance.

There choose to do a Maesai visa run trip maybe in their view is kinda adventure.

any recommendation ?

Ta22 good to see you post..... long time, no see..

I could be wrong as things do change pretty quickly around here.... but depending on the amount time [days] your friend needs..... CM Immig was 30 days for 1900 B

The vans doing the visa run are about 750 baht r/t point to point then the 500 baht into Burma brings you to 1250 B and they will only get 15days unless they already have a double or multi entry visa..

But if they want to see the North, its a good way to go really not too much more expensve.

Good to see the Ta22 post again.

G

The van service(s) will get you there and back in one day, but those vans are quite uncomfortable. Moreover, in my opinion, the drivers that I've experienced are rather reckless in their driving habits.

You can get a small bus--maybe 24 passengers--to Mae Sai by asking at the Arcade Bus Terminal. This is a more comfortable way to go, but the disadvantage is that you will be deposited at the Mae Sai Bus Terminal which is a couple kilometers south of the border crossing. (The van service will take you all the way to the crossing.) At the drop off point there are song taews that will take you to the border; they do it every day, and they know where the foreigners want to be delivered.

Either way there is adequate time for lunch in Mae Sai, as well as a bit of shopping in Burma if desired, before the ride back to Chiang Mai. The van is a few baht more expensive than the larger bus, but all in all it's not expensive whichever you choose.

I did this trip yesterday with Redride. Private car with up to 3 people for 1,500B all-in. The driver is very professional, speaks perfect English and is fun to talk to. He keeps a consistent speed, smooth transistions, and a emphasis on safety. We left Chiang Mai at our requested time of 7am (Not only was he on time, he arrived early!) made a couple of bathroom/stretch/food stops where ever we requested and were back to Chiang Mai at about 5pm. There is absolutely no reason to cram into a tour van with 10 other people praying to make it up and back safely!

I can not say enough about how easy and efficient they make the whole process.

Feel free to PM me for contact info.

as required: I do not have any form of ownership, nor benefit for this post, through RedRide. This is just credit to where it is due.

• Like 1

CMSteve's post reminds me of the terrific pie shop along the way. If you're taking a private car, be sure to have the driver stop at the Charin (Choerin) Garden Resort for a coffee break. It is located at km marker #142, about 2/3 of the way from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai. It's a "must-stop" kind of restaurant. You'll be glad you did.

Edited for spelling error.

Edited by MrBrad

The pie is relaly good i stop there to rest when i am driving up myself ,

i agree that most driver is reckless that why is hoping to get good suggestion ,

i am looking at between 600- 800 per person as i am not sure how many is going. maybe 2-3 person .

well you got to know old folk want it their way LOL , so i am just the messenger . .

The main problem is my car is in the work from an recent accident , if not i would had drove up myself and send them to the bus station ,

but at this point i guess a point to point service is needed.

Thanks for the great suggestion .

Been busy with many stuff and had no time to read any forum .

:)

CMSteve's post reminds me of the terrific pie shop along the way. If you're taking a private car, be sure to have the driver stop at the Charin (Choerin) Garden Resort for a coffee break. It is located at km marker #142, about 2/3 of the way from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai. It's a "must-stop" kind of restaurant. You'll be glad you did.

Mr. Brad, it sounds like you have done this in a private car. Is it possible to do that and how? Do you just park your car at the border or can you drive across or what? I would be accompanying a Thai with a Thai driver's license and registered car. By the way, how much time does the drive take by private car? Thanks!

Mr. Brad, it sounds like you have done this in a private car. Is it possible to do that and how? Do you just park your car at the border or can you drive across or what? I would be accompanying a Thai with a Thai driver's license and registered car. By the way, how much time does the drive take by private car? Thanks!

I last made this trek a couple of years ago, and at that time I did it with a motorcycle. There is parking available on the street as in most areas of Chiang Mai; you may have to walk a block or two to the crossing point. There, too, it's pedestrian traffic for most of us. I suppose with proper insurance and paperwork you can take your car across, but I don't think too many foreigners have done that.

If you're wanting to do the stamp out of Thailand / stamp in to Burma / stamp out of Burma / stamp in to Thailand procedure only, you will walk over and back. On a good day you can do all of this in 15 minutes...bad day, add a couple more minutes.

Travel time one way between Chiang Mai and Mae Sai may be around 4 hours without stops, if I am guessing correctly.

I was going to suggest taking the Green Bus as it's comfortable, and the driver we had was careful and not flying around like I've seen some vans.

However, the red Car sounds great. What is the contact address?

For me the Green Bus is the most comfortable way there. The seats almost recline into a bed position and there is leg room to spare ( I'm 195 cm). But get a first class ticket or you end up in the squashy part in the back. And the bus arrives o timne without the driver scaring the hell out of you.

• Like 1

I believe that Gonzo is correct that you can't do a "visa run" ( get a new visa) at Tachileik. Just a "border run", exit Thailand and then turn around and enter again for another entry stamp based on your current visa or, if eligible, a 15-day entry stamp.

As far as the trip up to Mae Sai and the border crossing, I did a trip up there this past May. I turned my trip into a two-day mini vacation and stayed overnight in Mae Sai. See My "Border Run" To Mae Sai. There is some info in there on the trip up using the Green Bus and the border. I realize that many have personal or business reasons to do it in one day but for those that have the time, staying overnight there makes it a much more relaxing trip, IMO. The Green Bus trip is about 4-5 hours each way, so that's 8-10 hours on a bus. I stayed overnight at the Navy Home Hotel in Mae Sai. It was inexpensive, clean and with good aircon. It's an option for them. Also there is a neat temple with some nice views.

Yep going again in 2 weeks--final run before i go home--need a break from the thai culture --

Anyhoo took GReen bus from arcade new bus station--vip--bis solo seat A1--360 bt i think

arrived on time --got redtruck to border 15 naht yep hes waiting for u with the sign

took more local way back--local bus from MS--40 baht windows down no movie nor freezing ac

got last bus to Cm from CR on green bus reg seat 181 baht--much less than vip seat but fine

got the waer--the warm soymilk--the hamburger bun with bean paste--ahhh good to be the king

oh and 500 baht to cross border-dodge scammer kids and fake crap in burma--easy peasy wai2.gif

my buddy used the service provided by agency at Ruam Chok... 650 baht... first time he had ever done it and said the driver was excellent, good english and extremely safe. Left at 8 am and returned by 4pm... A good recommendation.

I last made this trek a couple of years ago, and at that time I did it with a motorcycle. There is parking available on the street as in most areas of Chiang Mai; you may have to walk a block or two to the crossing point. There, too, it's pedestrian traffic for most of us. I suppose with proper insurance and paperwork you can take your car across, but I don't think too many foreigners have done that.

If you're wanting to do the stamp out of Thailand / stamp in to Burma / stamp out of Burma / stamp in to Thailand procedure only, you will walk over and back. On a good day you can do all of this in 15 minutes...bad day, add a couple more minutes.

Travel time one way between Chiang Mai and Mae Sai may be around 4 hours without stops, if I am guessing correctly.

Thanks for the information. Appreciate it!

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back yesterday via Green Bus.

Bus was stopped north of Chiang Rai northbound twice. Police came on board, checked ID's and searched some carry-on bags and purses.

Stopped again southbound three times. Same scenario.

just did it for under 1000 total-----5am green bus-back seat 234 baht to mae sai--15 red truck to border--record time 4 hrs!!!!--------5 mins across bridge--500 baht--stamp stamp--turn around

took red truck back to bus station-15 bt----got local bus to Crai---40 bt--took vip no toilet back to cm

144-----given the local bus makes many stops im in no rush and im not freezing my a** off either!!!

• 4 months later...

Just back from a border run using Redride private car that someone recommended above. Very good experience with new car & great driver. Left at 6.30 and back at 3pm and didn't do any sights on the way but that option was available if I had wanted it. I can definitely recommend this service. At 1600 baht it might not be for everyone but if you can pool 2-3 people together its a steal.

Edited by danols

• 2 weeks later...

I did the van once, some canadians were an hour late coming back. The other 20 times, I gave done green bus thailand. VIP is great. Stops once. You will spend an hour bouncing around the moat in the van, waiting on people with changovers, forgetting paperwork, and being generally disorganized. Then the van wil stop at the worst place in thailand to get lunch, 40 baht instant noodles, or you can buys some cashews for three times more than they cost in America,etc..and then you can stop at a hill tribe on the way home....to pay to have your photo taken with the people that annoy you while your drinking at the moat. Those vans have about 500K Km on them and the suspensions are shot--often. Driver has to be on the phone to find the next pick-ups which are constantly changing.

Edited by Thighlander
  • Like 1