Which Is The Best Cinema In Bkk?

ThailandNeil

• 3 months later...

The Scala is the oldest single-screen theater still operating here; it was quite the treat when it first opened in 1967. Not sure they've upgraded anything since then - the seats, pitch and riser-height all leave a lot to be desired when compared with modern theaters. I think the first showing is even as low as 80 baht, so if they happen to be showing the single movie you want to see then it certainly is a bargain.

Screen #8 at Mega Bang Na is another impressive theater.

Scala is great but I can't help but wonder how the 4D experience is... whats the damage though?

as I said earlier, it's fun for a certain type of film (eg action, sci-fi): you wouldn't need blasts of air, bouncing seats, smoke machines etc for say "Lincoln" (or some other drama) and I doubt you'd want it. Not sure I'd bother if I was going on my own - it was really fun for the kid -- but I don't typically go to movies without my boy anyway (like most folks these days I've got a good size HDTV with a decent soud system at home and generally prefer to wtch "serious" movies there). Having said that, even as an adult, it's worth trying.

Even if the movie sucks go to one at the Scala anyway. They don't make theatres like that anymore and it won't be long before it is gone. If you're old like me it brings back memories of when you were a kid. If you're young it is a wonderful chance to see what going to the movies use to really be like. Go, you won't regret it.

http://www.apexsiam-square.com/home.asp

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43148975,d.bmk&biw=1920&bih=979&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=scala+theater+bangkok&fb=1&hq=scala+theater&hnear=0x311d6032280d61f3:0x36458563858b0fc7,Bangkok,+Thailand&cid=0,0,18007528754901727414&sa=X&ei=JIEwUdHHO4O0rAe9oYB4&ved=0CJIBEPwSMAE

https://www.google.com/search?q=scala+theater+siam+square&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=9YIwUYL3FM6qrAfD_oDQAg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=979

You won't be seeing any digital, dolby films there. Just a brownish screen with a few old stains, in theater sound ®, crappy seats, slightly off-putting odors, filthy bathrooms (you have to pay to use). But still, cheap and there is usually no one there. Currently showing "Jack the Giant Slayer". It was the bees-knees 45 years ago.

Edited by lomatopo

Yeah, I'm a little surprised at the love for Scala...

I'm old enough to remember beautiful movie theaters that were like opera houses (and went to Scala back when Bangkok didn't have "modern" theaters) and I miss them too. I also can understand people being less than emma ore of slick but soulless cookie cutter multiplexes.

But I love films with a passion and I want the very best sound and picture. I also want very good seats and cleanliness. Can Scala offer all that?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Yeah, I'm a little surprised at the love for Scala... I'm old enough to remember beautiful movie theaters that were like opera houses (and went to Scala back when Bangkok didn't have "modern" theaters) and I miss them too. I also can understand people being less than emma ore of slick but soulless cookie cutter multiplexes. But I love films with a passion and I want the very best sound and picture. I also want very good seats and cleanliness. Can Scala offer all that? Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

OK, I will admit that I was talking about the Scala more in architectural terms than in the context of modern amenities. That said however, it probably has the largest screen of any non-Imax theatre in Thailand. The seats are also comfortable and the AC works well. It has ushers too.

I must admit however that the restrooms are somewhat dated (but close) and the Scala probably doesn't have the finest sound equipment around but it's completely adequate for me. I'll take it over SFX or Major Cineplex any day.

I'll take it over SFX or Major Cineplex any day.

Clearly you've never been in the Siam Pavalai Royal Grand Theater (#4 at Siam Paragon - Major) which dwarfs Scala, only 200 more seats but it does have a balcony and a much larger screen, shows digital screenings and has an incredible sound system. The "Happiness" theater in Central World is similar but not quite as large. Theater #8 at Mega Bang Na is also in this sort of category.

The film the OP was considering seeing, "Skyfall", was nominated for five Academy Awards - it won two of these - :

Best Cinematography (Roger Deakins),

Best Original Score (Thomas Newman),

Best Original Song (music and lyrics by Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth),

Best Sound Editing (Per Hallberg and Karen Baker Landers) and

Best Sound Mixing (Scott Millan, Greg P. Russell, Stuart Wilson).

so watching this film in an antiquated theater seems like a real waste of time?

Now, where can I find a 19" black & white TV to watch HD TV and Blu Ray films at home, just like when I was a kid? wink.png

• Like 1

Clearly you've never been in the Siam Pavalai Royal Grand Theater (#4 at Siam Paragon - Major) which dwarfs Scala, only 200 more seats but it does have a balcony and a much larger screen, shows digital screenings and has an incredible sound system. The "Happiness" theater in Central World is similar but not quite as large. Theater #8 at Mega Bang Na is also in this sort of category.

You're right, I've never been to either of those cinemas, and I have no doubt they are good, but you'll never convince me the Scala doesn't have more class. I also noticed Skyfall was only nominated for Academy Awards in categories pertaining to things unrelated to the quality of the film, like the story or the acting. It's a kid's film like all the James Bond drivel. Seriously, you might as well go see a Transformers movie or read a trashy paperback.wink.png

Edited by Groongthep

You're right, I've never been to either of those cinemas, and I have no doubt they are good, but you'll never convince me the Scala doesn't have more class. I also noticed Skyfall was only nominated for Academy Awards in categories pertaining to things unrelated to the quality of the film, like the story or the acting. It's a kid's film like all the James Bond drivel. Seriously, you might as well go see a Transformers movie or read a trashy paperback.

Without seeing them you'll state that you'll never change your opinion on how they compare? Wow - you DO love Scala!

As for the Skyfall, aside from the fact that what constitutes a good movie is entirely subjective and people have different tastes as to what the enjoy (even Transformers or trashy paperbacks), while I actually am inclined to agree on the merits (or lack thereof) of the movies you mention, the fact is those awards pertain to aspects of the film that are best enjoyed in a cinema with proper technology.

And after all - the OP wants to see Skyfall so...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

You're right, I've never been to either of those cinemas, and I have no doubt they are good, but you'll never convince me the Scala doesn't have more class. I also noticed Skyfall was only nominated for Academy Awards in categories pertaining to things unrelated to the quality of the film, like the story or the acting. It's a kid's film like all the James Bond drivel. Seriously, you might as well go see a Transformers movie or read a trashy paperback.wink.png

OK, so in addition to never having been to one of the more modern cinemas here I can only assume you have not seen "Skyfall"? Of course that doesn't seem to prevent you from making a critical review.rolleyes.gif

"Skyfall" was direct by Sam Mendes, who is a pretty good director, having won both Best Director and Best Picture Oscars for his debut film, "American Beauty". Skyfall starred some pretty good actors: Daniel Craig, Dame Judi Dench, Javier Bardem, Ralph Fiennes, Ben Whishaw. Javier Bardem was brilliant and I was surprised he didn't get a best supporting actor nomination for his role. I thought Skyfall was a very good film.

Clearly, the five nominations were for categories best experienced in a modern theatre with digital display and Dolby sound, but that point seems to have bypassed you completely.whistling.gif

The OP asked for the best theater to see "Skyfall"; assuming it did play at Scala - and I'm not certain it did - I'd recommend almost any digital screen before going to see it at Scala.

Be sure to rush over to Scala to see "Jack the Giant Slayer".

Please remember to adhere to the Thaivisa rules while posting:

4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

The thread has been mostly fine so far, please let it continue that way.