How Much For Rent?

mccw

Sign a one-year lease and get the "lay of the land". In our building, the people with the lowest rent already lived in other units in the building when they learned of openings. The really good units are never advertised. Once we hear of someone moving, leaving Thailand or dying -- the word goes out on the grapevine and the unit is rented without the owner having to pay an agent.

So, pick the location you think will best suit you, rent something in building or area for a year, and tune into the grapevine.

Oh it helps if the building managers, muu baan henchmen, som tam and laundry ladies, head guys in charge think you're a nice person -- owners will talk with them before renting to someone already living in the area.

Edited by NancyL

Oh it helps if the building managers, muu baan henchmen, som tam and laundry ladies, head guys in charge think you're a nice person -- owners will talk with them before renting to someone already living in the area.

Hmmm, is this the infamous case-by-case phenomenon often done in Thailand? It seems that people who know their way can often bypass the book. Nancy, you are turning into a real local now, haha!

To the OP: sorry, can't help you on the subject but it's definitely interesting to know when members respond. I remember visiting my friend about 2 years ago who's doing research at CMU. His studio on Ninmmahemin on Soi 11(not sure), about 30 sq meters, cost him B5,500. The complex also had a swimming pool and good view of the mountain. It's on the opposite side of the street where Monkey Club is. I guess rent must be different now considering its location.

Wow! You have over 1000 post's and your asking how much for a rental property?

Have you spent much time here? It's up to you how much you want to spend for your life style.

If your asking here on TV you haven't a clue...Good luck.

• Like 1

Have you spent much time here? It's up to you how much you want to spend for your life style.

Ya I was kind of curious about that too. You give no idea of what area you want or expect to have available in the area. Also no idea of how much you are looking to spend. Do you need a bedroom or a studio. Or are you looking for a house?

When I was younger and poorer i lived with my missus in her place which she paid 2500bht pm for; out a bit by doi sutep; small room on 4th floor, no lift; this over 6 years ago. After a while we bought a 3 bed bungalow on the karnkanok moo baan which we sold a bit over a year ago. Since then we stayed in hotel and the house we built in fang. So not completely clueless; but I haven't had need to rent or be interested in the rental market for quite some time.

I ask what people are currently paying for rent since I am looking in to possibility of rental investment. I've seen many advertisements and various prices and claims so I'm trying to garner some kind of reality through the hype.

Obviously I'll do more research on the ground when I get back but this is a good start. So thanks to anyone who'd like to contribute please.

Maybe this would help:

From my own guesses i expect in reality central studios= per month around 6-9k; 1 beds 10-15 and 2beds 14-25 depending. About right?

Some claims I've seen - changklan road 950k studio rented at 15k pm and other TV (tall?) tales like some foreigners claiming to rent central studio flat at just 3000bht pm.

While I was building my home, for about a year I lived in a apartment behind the Hang dong Home Pro. THis is right near the airport and 5 minutes to the old city.

Nice area with newer homes. The place was 2 story building and my room with A/C decent bathroon and hot water, small balcony, about 30 sq.m in all was 2700 Bt. It did not have a kitchen but was furnished. had free basic cable. Paid extra for water (under 100 every month) and power ( averaged 800 per month) on the table I got a hot place, rice cooker and a few things and it was very nice for the price while I was there

If you in hurry then its not easy to find a nice place for a good price, also the time of the year is important, now the season starts and the cheaper and good ones are not easy to get.

Long term contract can lower the price, we pay 10000 THB for a 3 bed house, modern, with furniture, but we also was looking for it for over 6 weeks in the low season.

Yesterday we rent a new modern style studio for 4900 THB including the condo fee in a good location. Other similar places ask 2 – 3000 more for a older room.

Your question is not easy to answer, to many options, owners, locations etc who will mix the price range

We have some cheap and also some to expensive homes, but the prices are set from the owners so we can do nothing to lower it. Best is always to ask to lower the price, in many cases you can save a lot of money this way.

http://www.buyrentchiangmai.com

Questions like these are sure to attract the "I can live on $100 a month" and "I couldn't possibly live on less than $10,000 a month" loons, quickly followed by the thread degenerating into a battle between the two - which I suspect explains the reluctance to post.

Fwiw...

3 bedroom bungalow (western style, roughly 100m2), isolated (maetaman area) in a huge plot. b2,000/mo. 40-ish km from CM.

Questions like these are sure to attract the "I can live on $100 a month" and "I couldn't possibly live on less than $10,000 a month" loons, quickly followed by the thread degenerating into a battle between the two - which I suspect explains the reluctance to post.

Fwiw...

3 bedroom bungalow (western style, roughly 100m2), isolated (maetaman area) in a huge plot. b2,000/mo. 40-ish km from CM.

2000 ??? send me the house info I send you a tenant today ...

come on this one must be old or agly no way you find a nice house this size for 2000

Fwiw...

come on this one must be old or agly no way you find a nice house this size for 2000

That's nothing, I get paid 2000 baht to live in my rental house.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Why would I do that, I'm living in it... smile.png

Certainly I wouldn't describe it as anything other than basic - it's a 7M x 14M rectangular box, tiled roof, with rooms inside and no en suite. Big windows in every room and a patio door in the living room. Parquet flooring. Not old and far from ugly.

Somewhat difficult to get a decent picture through the trees and especially facing into the sun...

post-142120-0-66656100-1352523953_thumb.post-142120-0-87893300-1352523815_thumb.

We occasionally get an interesting guest...

post-142120-0-90617000-1352523972_thumb.

• Like 1

40km out, 2000B is very possible. I pay 7000B inside the super highway near the railway station. 2 bed bungalow with big garden. 3500B would get the same 15km out of town, meaning an increase in diesel costs of about that!

Paid 10k for 3 bed in a moo baan.

Property prices for rentals are all over the board ... I have a 3br/2ba/office/LR/DR/Kitchen and am inside the moat on the west side.

Rent is 12500.00/mo I could certainly get places cheaper but not in the area I want to be, that also have the gated entry to keep my dog in.

Fwiw...

Is that payment for your wife to keep you.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

By the way your survey should give enough answers to keep the OP happy. Less than a year old can't change much. Maybe you could do one a year.

Fwiw...

Is that payment for your wife to keep you.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

By the way your survey should give enough answers to keep the OP happy. .

Yes; Thank you and all others giving the info

Should be useful to many besides myself

Cheers

Edited by mccw

Property prices for rentals are all over the board ... I have a 3br/2ba/office/LR/DR/Kitchen and am inside the moat on the west side.

Rent is 12500.00/mo I could certainly get places cheaper but not in the area I want to be, that also have the gated entry to keep my dog in.

:o Jealous!

Why would I do that, I'm living in it... smile.png

Certainly I wouldn't describe it as anything other than basic - it's a 7M x 14M rectangular box, tiled roof, with rooms inside and no en suite. Big windows in every room and a patio door in the living room. Parquet flooring. Not old and far from ugly.

Somewhat difficult to get a decent picture through the trees and especially facing into the sun...

We occasionally get an interesting guest...

what about giving this poor dog some food? dry.png

starving%20dog.jpg

• Like 1

what about giving this poor dog some food? dry.png

Presumptuous, much?

She gets fed quite well, considering she (and a half dozen other neighbourhood mutts that have adopted me) isn't my dog. Dog food costs me more than the bloody house and I don't have any dogs... rolleyes.gif

Rents are naturally more in a more centralized location, but if one has their own transportation and wants to live away from the central city one can find three bedroom homes for 5000 baht a month in a mooban Hang Dong and Mae RIm. True, they are may not have western kitchens kitchens, but with a little creativity and imagination you decorate for very little money.

I lucked out, I rent the top floor of an art tutoring place (townhouse) There are kids here Sat and Sun 10-4ish, but I am friends with all the instructors, I am alone M-F except for when said friends are hanging out here. I have free reign of the 3 story town house, which is in Nimm. I pay no utilities, free 20mb internet. And all I pay is 3000B

GF lives in BKK and I am younger and a teacher, so the kids are no trouble and when my Gf is here there is no trouble as well.

Added bonus, the water pressure on the 3rd floor is insanely strong!

I have a 3 brm 3bath fully furnished detached house in a land and house moo Baan in San Sai/ Mae Jo about 15-25 minutes from the old city. Beautiful neighborhood . Two security checkpoints to my house. 30 baht a day extra Club house privileges with pool, jacuzzi, sauna, treadmills, weight machine and free weights. Modern kitchen with oven and stove. Extractor fan above stove. Washing machine, AC in master bedroom and living room only and two car carport, completely fenced with moderate garden/yard. I just rented it for a year for 18000 baht a month. Many people I talk to say I got beat. Now I am wondering if I am paying too much. Any input?