Looking For A Good Tailor, Any Recommendations

jumbo

I personally cannot put up with all the crap displayed by guys like Manhattan´s. I know for a fact that many of their fabrics are fake, for the simple reason I know one of their suppliers. Went in there only once, where my thai friend (mistakingly taken by my tour guide) was offered 10% of everything I bought, which of course...was none.

My favourite is Yorkshire´s at the Peninsula. Not the cheapest nor the fastest one for sure, but a serious and professional business.

Two fitting sessions and quality fabrics. He tailors the suites for the TG pilots.

Bull

All of those previously mentioned are what could (politely) be called 'tourist tailors.' For a local tailor of high reputation, got to Art's. If Art's is too expensive (and it is bloody expensive), try Tanika on Sukhumvit just east of the Sheraton Grande. Excellent work, completely reliable, and medium-priced.

All of those previously mentioned are what could (politely) be called 'tourist tailors.' For a local tailor of high reputation, got to Art's. If Art's is too expensive (and it is bloody expensive), try Tanika on Sukhumvit just east of the Sheraton Grande. Excellent work, completely reliable, and medium-priced.

How expensive is bloody expensive??

Bull

I had always used Raja's and had been very happy - I might wear a suit once every two years but the shirts have been fine worn daily.

Then I noticed how busy Tanika's was the other week and wondered and now OAH has seconded what i thought - somewhere as busy as that is for some reason.

If I was looking to pay 25K THB though I would probably get a off the peg Boss suit here in Belgium for the same price with alterations done for you for free at the shop.

I know for a fact that many of their fabrics are fake
An easy test I've heard of but never tried is to get a thread of the fabric and put a match under it.

If it melts, it's polyester.

If it flairs, it's cotton.

And if it stinks like burnt hair, then likely it's wool.

Have only tried one tailor, Mr Suchart at 13/14 NARAYANA PHAND, RAJDAMRI ROAD, opposite World trade centre and he was good, reasonable, two fittings and delivered on time.

BT :o

JUST TWO SUITS AND JACKET TO TEST THE WATER, DID NOT GO IN TOO DEEP

Pantip has a great tailor (thai dude) its on the 3rd floor, i forgot what its called, his shop looks abit didgy but he really knows how to make a suit fit you very well.

I know a few wealthy people in thailand who recommend me that place, not the cheapest but a good price for a great suit.

I rather pay alittle extra for a suit that will not fall apart in 6 months

I can tell you this... BEWARE of D'Oriental Fashion, located at Chula Soi 16 Banthadthong Rd. You will most likely find them through a "government official" or a tuk-tuk. They are total scam artists, myself I lost $600 to them, with absolutely nothing to show for it, not even a shabby suit. My advice is if you see their shop, run quickly, and in the opposite direction. They use a lot of high pressure and will outright lie to you to get your money, after they have your money, its pretty much a crapshoot, you may get -something- you may get nothing... BEWARE.

That being said, I did work with a couple other tailors who were pretty good. One was Athenee Tailors at 566 Ploen Chit rd. They aren't the best tailors in the world, so depending on how difficult the clothes you want made are, you may need a full two weeks. I was having some very difficult tailoring done, so I had to come in for a lot of fittings, and once they had to throw out what they made and start over. But they will come through for you in the end, as long as your firm about what you want.

As for the other tailor, if you can afford them, these guys are world class. Their name is Kittiphan, at 293-5 Samsaen Rd in the Banglampoo area of Bangkok. These guys are not feeding off tourists, they're the real deal, highly skilled tailors, and some the most honest people I met my entire stay in Bangkok. Of course for my custom work, which required a lot of fabric because of my height, and was already difficult to begin with, I paid $175 for a pair of pants. It was more than worth it, I didn't need a single fitting, they measured me, looked at my pictures, I gave them a friends pair of pants which I like (not my size) and they made a PERFECT pair of pants in the first try. They fit better than anything I have ever worn. Plus they were done a lot faster than any of the other tailors. These guys are great, I highly recommend them.

• 7 months later...
You really paid that much for a pair of pants? Was it for the labor and material? The material must have Italian silk. I enjoy picking out my own material in a shop and taking it to a tailor.

that sounds Very expensive for a pair of pants..wow! $175. i guess it must be some italian silk:P!

well i mentioned before but the tailor i use frequently is Crown Tailors in sukhumvit soi 8, make some fantastic suits.