Music School For Children

tigerbeer

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a music school that teaches children around the age of 8-10. I would like to get my kids to learn some musical instruments from a professional place and hopefully not too costly one. Guitar, Piano, Keyboard.

I did do a search but did not find much result.

There are plenty of places around for piano, Hang Dong Rd before Lotus on the left for a big school, private teacher opposite Regina Coeli, Multi school in the soi on the right before Sayari. Depends what side of town you are on, also a some good guitarists over near Nummenheimen etc etc. Check your child's progress though, some teachers are lazy or music students and don't teach too well. As to cost you get what you pay for, cheaper than the West though, 300 - 400/hr.

• Like 1

agree with the location issue, unless you don't really care and willing to drive anywhere.... Payap runs a musical instruction program(s) at their location near Bud's ice cream/CMIS side of town... my daughter goes there for vocal lessons.... she also takes piano lessons for over 2 yrs now at Concerto, soi off of the maejo road, before RuamChok plaza... daughter is 9, and gets excellent, patient, valuable instruction at both of these venues for reasonable price....

• Like 1

Sometimes this is the place for "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." Not always of course.

Growing up I took 12 years of piano, and 6 years of trumpet. My worst teachers were college professors in the music department. My best teachers were private and we had to beg them to teach. They had years of lessons, and were accomplished professionals. They just didn't choose teaching as a career but wow did they know their stuff. I progressed far faster with them because unlike the college professors who had all of the theory, the professional players had gone a step further and mentally broken through to doing it.

I don't think I can explain "mentally broken through to doing it" beyond saying that Ernesto Luciono's Malaguena has a passage where the timing has 3 beats per measure in the bass cleft while the treble cleft has 7 beats per measure. Obviously 3 won't divide into 7, so the mind has to let go and just do it, measure after measure. Easier said than done. There are mental "tricks" which allow it, but only those who "can do" know how and can talk on that level. Those who can't, can play it but it doesn't sound right, even if they have a PHD.

Obviously beyond all, find someone who can do it.

• Like 2

There's Chiang Mai Music School (or Arts Academy, don't remember) on the east side, about 3 blocks south of Charoen Mueang on Anuwitee Rd, about 1 block west of super highway - just east of Cheroen Mueang Soi 8.

They do guitar and piano, lessons are 1800B for 4 one-hour private sessions.

• Like 1

It is too late to edit my prior post. I just remembered another thing. People who "can do" will say something like this: "Anyone can learn how to play the notes. It's what you do after you learn to play the notes that makes it music."

Please find someone who can do.

• Like 1

thank you all so much for your suggestions and ideas. I am staying and working more towards the superhighway rd near Big-c extra and Index Living mall and there seems to be many schools around this area. I shall go have a look at the Payap music school first and see how they fair.