Titanium Wleder

foggy1

My old bike developed a crack on one of the welds on the bottom bracket, I had an airforce tech in wing 6 (Don Muang) sort it out for me. He welded it in an enclosure with inert gas, the proper way. I've heard that there's supposedly only 4 chaps in Thailand that are qualified to work on titanium repairs in the Thai aircraft industry, 2 welders that work for TG and 2 in the RTAF. Fortunately I'm in the air force, so I could help you sort it out if you can't find a welder locally.

Do you have a picture of the said hair line crack?

Here's my before and after shots:

fbx8yg.jpg.

1tar6f.jpg

Edited by Thailandf2rally

I would go fusion weld which is filler free and then followed by a dress weld.

A tig weld is going to hold for a while but not super high confidence. Getting the area shotpeened per air craft specs can really help a tig welded area disperse tension.

What mfg is the OP's bike? There are really good welders in the US like Steve Potts, Desalvo, Strong, Independent who can do work like that if is a good frame to start with. A few in Australia also.

I would go fusion weld which is filler free and then followed by a dress weld.

A tig weld is going to hold for a while but not super high confidence. Getting the area shotpeened per air craft specs can really help a tig welded area disperse tension.

What mfg is the OP's bike? There are really good welders in the US like Steve Potts, Desalvo, Strong, Independent who can do work like that if is a good frame to start with. A few in Australia also.

If I may add, I would get the whole bottom bracket Dye Penetrant tested, by a qualified inspector, (if the welder is any good he will have the stuff to do this test)

You need to chase that crack out, you may not see it all with just your eyes and have it done again after it’s welded.

Good luck

Tonto

• 1 month later...