Blood Urgently Needed: A Neg Rh

cheeryble

I have learned that O neg is also compatible with both A neg and B neg

So O neg also welcome which may help matters......

My guess is even if they think they will only need say one bag or less they need to have extra set aside for unforeseen bleeding.

(thanks for the two kind offers already, one of which may not be acceptable because of age and an infection, the other on the age cusp but maybe OK. I shall be in touch with you both.)

The good news is I went to see Jeff this afternoon and he hopes to be operated for the shattered hip Tuesday. Foot is doing OK.

I was offered blood by three people which I thought was wonderful, to be told by Jeff that they had had four donations and one in the bank already which was enough for the op and some for emergency.

Thanks to all these kind folk

Cheeryble

ps will copy in both threads......and be careful out there on the roads it's madness beyond belief.

If you're a motorcyclist be ready for someone to pull out of ANY AND EVERY side road or driveway.......from the left especially.

Practise emergency stops.......it seems to me the majority of motorbike accidents are from heavyhanded use of the front brake. You must practise again and again to get the foot brake automatically in synch with the front, and feel the rear end just starting to break so you know your limits. Naturally be careful practising and unless you are very confident just go gently with it.

• Like 2

The good news is I went to see Jeff this afternoon and he hopes to be operated for the shattered hip Tuesday. Foot is doing OK.

I was offered blood by three people which I thought was wonderful, to be told by Jeff that they had had four donations and one in the bank already which was enough for the op and some for emergency.

Practise emergency stops.......it seems to me the majority of motorbike accidents are from heavyhanded use of the front brake. You must practise again and again to get the foot brake automatically in synch with the front, and feel the rear end just starting to break so you know your limits. Naturally be careful practising and unless you are very confident just go gently with it.

Happy to hear about the donations. Good folks all.

I'm a certified motorcycle instructor. Lack of use of the front brake, and too much use of the rear is what I see in most untrained riders. When you brake with the front brake, weight transfers onto the front wheel and you have far more traction than you'll ever get with the rear. Every good school teaches to get at least 60-70% of braking from the front wheel.

I agree that if you brake too much with either tire you can dump the bike, but too many people don't understand the value of the front brake. Look at a car even and how it's made. The front wheel brakes are much bigger and have more braking force than the rear for this same reason. Even a car nose dives and transfers weight onto the front tires, giving them the most traction. Even hydraulic pressure is biased to the front brakes on a car. On a bike we have to do that for ourselves.

Thankyou Neversure

Does it not seem to you that for many it is an automatic reaction in an emergency for people to clench on the front brake lever for all they're worth....probably before they even realise they're doing it?

I notice a tendency for this in myself for a start and anecdotally hear of the front wheel sliding away from others' hitting it too hard without thinking when someone pulls out.

This is why I myself practise to make the automatic reaction change and incorporate a combination of hand and foot.

Not sure if I should recommend getting the feel for the back end breaking away but I find it helps get a feel for the limits one must stick to.

(of course sometimes it may be legitimate to purposely break out the rear end and let the bike lead you along the road on it's side as the least worst alternative.......

disclaimer: I make no claims to being an expert).

Edited by cheeryble

Thankyou Neversure

Does it not seem to you that for many it is an automatic reaction in an emergency for people to clench on the front brake lever for all they're worth....probably before they even realise they're doing it?

I notice a tendency for this in myself for a start and anecdotally hear of the front wheel sliding away from others' hitting it too hard without thinking when someone pulls out.

This is why I myself practise to make the automatic reaction change and incorporate a combination of hand and foot.

Not sure if I should recommend getting the feel for the back end breaking away but I find it helps get a feel for the limits one must stick to.

(of course sometimes it may be legitimate to purposely break out the rear end and let the bike lead you along the road on it's side as the least worst alternative.......

disclaimer: I make no claims to being an expert).

You want to apply the front brake first, although almost at the same time as the rear. When you apply the front brake, the front dives onto the front tire adding traction, but removing traction from the rear tire. Again it's called weight transfer. If you apply the rear brake first, then weight comes off that tire from weight transfer, you may badly skid the rear tire. It is all done with practice and feel.

I believe that most motorcycle riders wear out the rear tire first, by far. I wear out my front tires first. I believe that too much braking is done with the rear tire which has little traction, and the rider doesn't know he's always scrubbing off a little rubber each time. Then, rear tires go away fast. The average Harley rider gets around 7,000km on a rear tire. I get 30,000km, m/l. I get a little less from a front tire, but still plenty because it has a lot of traction for braking and skids very little.

People may think they wear out tires from accelerating, but rarely does the rear tire spin. They actually wear them out from braking. The brakes can put far more force onto the tires than the power can on most bikes, including a Harley. Practice. Find a vacant paved lot, pick a mark and stop on it. Go around, go the same speed, begin braking at the same point, and do it over until you know your bike.

You can stop in 1/2 the distance using front tire bias as you can using rear tire bias.