2012 Ford Focus 2.0 Vs Peugeot 408 1.6 Turbo

tua2kee

Starting this thread to share information on both cars as I have been doing some research and thinking about getting either one. The power and torque data are:

Ford: 170bhp, 202Nm

408: 163bhp, 240nm

There is no information on the 0-60miles per hr for the Focus from Ford's website but from youtube, Focus 0-60 miles per hr is 8.9 seconds.

From Peugeot's website, the 408 does the same distance in 9.2 seconds.

In terms of safety features, both seem comparable.

In terms of design and looks, I prefer the Ford over the 408.

In terms of space, 408 beats Ford hands down.

Not sure about reliability and aftersales support, fuel consumption, handling.

Could owners of either vehicles share their thoughts?

Thanks.

I have never seen a Peugeot dealer outside Bkk. For me, that is why I wouldn't consider one.

On top of it, just think that as it is not manufactured in Thailand, the parts have to be imported...

And you are in for a bad surprise at the first mechanical issue (as Peugeot is rife with) that appears.

I have never seen a Peugeot dealer outside Bkk. For me, that is why I wouldn't consider one.

I stopped by one in Chiangmai couple of years back, but it looked like some sort of run-down grease monkey outfit..

On top of it, just think that as it is not manufactured in Thailand, the parts have to be imported...

And you are in for a bad surprise at the first mechanical issue (as Peugeot is rife with) that appears.

The 408 is made in Malaysia and is imported under the ASEAN FTA - hence the semi-attractive price.

Ford may offer the Focus ST variant in LOS sometime in the future...that would be a great car to have. Between these two now, the Focus on styling and dealer support for sure.

Really ? Where did you hear that?

Seems like Ford is the way to go for aftersales support and service. In Chiangmai, there are two Ford dealers. I intend to buy sometime in Dec to jan period. hopefully, there's some year end promo...) mustard olive colour anyone?

Edited by tua2kee

Seems like Ford is the way to go for aftersales support and service. In Chiangmai, there are two Ford dealers. I intend to buy sometime in Dec to jan period. hopefully, there's some year end promo...) mustard olive colour anyone?

Go to the Motor Expo, starting on the 29th,. There might be some deals at the time. I'm not sure about delivery times, though, so if you buy in December, it might be some time after that. I've only seen a few on the road so far. Looks like a nice vehicle.

I have an older 1.8 liter Focus Ghia. The gasoline engine has enough power but my old Nissan diesel pickup gets more kilometers to a liter. The Focus does about 10 kpl mostly local driving. The car has been remarkably trouble free and the dealer service has been very good. It is fun to drive but it will be my last car in Thailand. Only diesel trucks for the future. Hitting a dog cost the insurance company 42.000 baht. All the plastic junk that serves as a front bumper and grill were destroyed.

I have an older 1.8 liter Focus Ghia. The gasoline engine has enough power but my old Nissan diesel pickup gets more kilometers to a liter. The Focus does about 10 kpl mostly local driving. The car has been remarkably trouble free and the dealer service has been very good. It is fun to drive but it will be my last car in Thailand. Only diesel trucks for the future. Hitting a dog cost the insurance company 42.000 baht. All the plastic junk that serves as a front bumper and grill were destroyed.

Hows the dog? cheesy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

after visiting 2 ford dealers and talking to 3 sales women about Ford Focus 2.0 Sports and Sports +, I came to the conclusion that they are not familiar with their products, offer only standard discounts like

1. free registration

2. transportation of car from factory to CM,

3. number plates holders,

4. solar film,

5. window visor

6. free first class insurance

1 of the shop do not absorb item 1 and 2 above. When I asked how much is the solar film and whether I could trade in the solar film for petrol vouchers, the answer was a flat no, take it or leave it. I told them if they could do that for me, I would buy the car, either Sports or Sports +. They said sorry, it is not written in the terms and conditions and they can't help. So I left. I did not ask for any discount or additional accessories at all. Can't imagine they let a sale go just because of this request.

Went to Peugeot after that. What a pleasant experience. They gave all the above, plus 50,000 baht discount off the car. the solar film they offered was 3M and the trade in value was a whopping 4200 baht of petrol vouchers. On top of that, there are other perks. I told them I will sign on the line once they get back to me on the actual value of my Honda Jazz around 13 to 16 Dec 12 period.

Well, I hope I am making a right choice here....

Edited by tua2kee

after visiting 2 ford dealers and talking to 3 sales women about Ford Focus 2.0 Sports and Sports +, I came to the conclusion that they are not familiar with their products, offer only standard discounts like

1. free registration

2. transportation of car from factory to CM,

3. number plates holders,

4. solar film,

5. window visor

6. free first class insurance

1 of the shop do not absorb item 1 and 2 above. When I asked how much is the solar film and whether I could trade in the solar film for petrol vouchers, the answer was a flat no, take it or leave it. I told them if they could do that for me, I would buy the car, either Sports or Sports +. They said sorry, it is not written in the terms and conditions and they can't help. So I left. I did not ask for any discount or additional accessories at all. Can't imagine they let a sale go just because of this request.

Went to Peugeot after that. What a pleasant experience. They gave all the above, plus 50,000 baht discount off the car. the solar film they offered was 3M and the trade in value was a whopping 4200 baht of petrol vouchers. On top of that, there are other perks. I told them I will sign on the line once they get back to me on the actual value of my Honda Jazz around 13 to 16 Dec 12 period.

Well, I hope I am making a right choice here....

So, unless I have misread you, you would've bought the Ford for what amounts

to be about 6000 Baht worth of petrol vouchers, give or take?

So on a 1 million Baht car, you walk away for approx $200.

Will then buy another car which you have agreed may have problems

with service outiside of Bangkok.

I find your story dubious to say the least.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

THanks for the kind feedback about availability of aftersales support. I think this is a key consideration.

As for Ford, it is not just the value of the petrol voucher, it is their "take it or leave it" attitude that I would like to highlight. If they even bother to ask a supervisor or manager about it, I would say they bothered to try. In y case, the sales people just refused me on the spot.

THanks for the kind feedback about availability of aftersales support. I think this is a key consideration.

As for Ford, it is not just the value of the petrol voucher, it is their "take it or leave it" attitude that I would like to highlight. If they even bother to ask a supervisor or manager about it, I would say they bothered to try. In y case, the sales people just refused me on the spot.

In that case, just try a different dealer... In Bkk for instance, you may get better results.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

tua2kee, many dealers have that attitude in Thailand.

Basically if you are looking to buy a popular new model like a Focus, they will not budge. Try that will an older or less popular car and you will get freebies to sell them. It reminds me of the old phrase (but replace pig with Pug,maybe)

Put lipstick on a pig and its still a pig!

hahaha, good pun on the pug, er pig biggrin.png

really reconsidering now. the scenario of driving from CM to somewhere and the lack of support is scary.

I still don't see what there is to reconsider.

You like the car and because a dealer is blase towards you,

you want to buy something else.

You said they showed a "take it or leave it attitude" towards you.

As advised above, go to another dealer or "take it or leave it".

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

It is a case of the head vs the heart. logically, Ford is the way to go, but the 408 appeals to me more for the strong low end pull.

For the record, I am not related to either Ford or Peugeot, and I do not work in the automotive industry.

I will be making a decision soon.

Edited by tua2kee