90 day check-in

As the retirement age has now been reduced to 50, I have a 12 month retirement visa. Although I wasn't told at Kap Chung Immigration office, I am aware that I officially should "sign-in" every 90 days.

However, I am leaving the country (from Don Muang) for a holiday on the 86th day and returning on 93rd day. Does anyone know whether my departure counts as a 90 day check-in?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

George,

(mmmmm. I'm finding some interesting stuff in the old threads)

I've held off getting a retirement visa since I'm over in Thailand in 70-80 day chunks; and I had thought the requirement to report every 90 days to immigration would require some surrogate to head there for me every 90 days when I'm out of the country, which would be inconvenient. But it sounds like, if I leave the country on day 89, immigration doesn't get a data alarm on day 90 that Jim Gant is now due to report. And that as long as I'm never in the country more than 89 days at a time, I'll never have to report! Is that correct?

If so, a retirement visa would then be easier to apply for than having to head to Wash DC every year for a new non-immigrant 'o' visa.

Jim Gant

It is correct that you dont have to report to the immigration office if you leave Thailand, hereby of course passing through immigration, before the 90 days are over. Coming back to the Kingdom, a new 90 days period starts. In case you live far away from an immigration office, it might be good to know you can also report through the mail, simply by sending them the filled out form and I believe also a passport picture.

If so, a retirement visa would then be easier to apply for than having to head to Wash DC every year for a new non-immigrant 'o' visa.
Retirement will require you meet the requirements of age/income/bank account and no work allowed; that you do not need for 'O' visa.  It would also require a multi re-entry permit and trip to immigration (to extend stay) in Thailand each year (at the same time) which might not be good if you travel this much.  Also the multi 'O' can be obtained at many consulates if Washington is not where you might be.

Following my return from Malaysia before Christmas, I awaited the 90 days and duly reported back to Kab Cheong Immigration. There would then be 100 days until it was time to renew my visa, I asked if it was necessary to report within 90 days and then return  around 10 days later for visa renewal. The officer didn't appear to have a problem with that. This was confirmed 100 days later when I renewed my visa without question.