Thai Red Shirt Protest Leaders To Go On Trial

webfact

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One wonders why a democratically elected government was removed by a military coup and the people are angry.

Seems clear to me they had a valid greivance.

When totalitarian regimes installed themselves in Eastern Europoe after the second world war and people took to the streets to protest and fight, we applauded them.

When the students took to Tianamen Square to protest and fight the communist Chinese government, we applauded them.

When the Burmese people were fighting the military regime in the streets we applauded them.

Double standards anyone?

One wonders why Thaksin resigned yet refused to leave.
  • Like 1

One wonders why a democratically elected government was removed by a military coup and the people are angry.

When totalitarian regimes installed themselves in Eastern Europoe after the second world war and people took to the streets to protest and fight, we applauded them.

When the students took to Tianamen Square to protest and fight the communist Chinese government, we applauded them.

When the Burmese people were fighting the military regime in the streets we applauded them.

Double standards anyone?

If they were protesting the coup, they were 2.5 years late.

Double standards anyone?

But this time they had a leader who is a fugitive criminal on the run and the sub-leaders told them to burn the country.

Not really the same.

• Like 1

Double standards anyone?

If they were protesting the coup, they were 2.5 years late.

As far I know they wanted elections. They were offered elections within six months. Most people thought that was fair from the Dems.....and then suddenly....burn this country!!

I would like to know your definition of a terrorist. Can you tell us please?

Anyone who uses violence in service of a cause that I don't agree with or which conflicts with my interests. That's the 21st Century definition of a terrorist.

Look at this pathetic straw man:

Since when was it a civil liberty to use grenades to kill innocent bystanders and to burn buildings.

Have you ever seen a better example of someone deliberately failing to grasp the point?

Who is prosecuting these liars in court? Presumably state prosecutors who take their orders from the current government.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the video evidence is 'lost' or 'mislaid' with predictable results. In any case this will no doubt go on for years with appeals, too 'sick' to appear delays & the usual threats against the judges.

The nature of this trial should attract international press coverage. I hope the government and judiciary realise that Thailand's justice system will be on trial just as much as those charged with terrorism.

Good point but these buffons could not care less about international press coverage. Case in point, "sorry USA we don't want or need your assistance for flood control we are experts". Result 900+ citizens died. Mai pen rai.

The German mainstream media are strongly pro red and will consider anything but an unconditional acquittal an attempt of the "old elites" to suppress democracy in Thailand. So no help from that side.

The German mainstream media are strongly pro red and will consider anything but an unconditional acquittal an attempt of the "old elites" to suppress democracy in Thailand. So no help from that side.

I'm surprised that they have an opinion on it. Do they have an interest in Thai politics?

I'm surprised that they have an opinion on it. Do they have an interest in Thai politics?

They did in 2010, although they had no real clue of what was going on. Just the standard "military bad - redshirts good" routine.

""The military, the security forces were responsible for larger casualties but both sides were clearly responsible," said Sunai Pasuk, a Thai researcher with New York-based Human Right Watch."

Yes of course the security forces were responsible. They were tasked with protecting not only themselves, but also a huge city from a mob attack. The red shirt attackers had only themselves to protect, and unlike the people of Bangkok and the army, the attackers could simply have gone home at any time. If khun Sunai Pasuk fail to grasp this basic rule reg. attack and defence, then perhaps working for HRW is not the right thing for him.

Imagine a group of 5 robbers attack my house with 5 people in it. In order to protect my family I kill 4 of the robbers, and the last one kills me. Then I think my wife will slap Sunai Pasuk when he tells her that "Your husband was responsible for larger casualties"!!

Once again I thank you Abhisit and the army for protecting me and my family from the red shirt attackers. Had you not defeated the red shirt attackers, they could have attacked and killed alot more civilians than they did.

• Like 2

but but but the PTP run the country and control the courts whistling.gif

Not yet (the latter). Thaksin found that some courts couldn't be bribed but his henchmen will no doubt try to achieve his aim to emasculate the CC, Admin Court, Auditor General, Ombudsman etc. Coming up with the constitutional changes.

• Like 1

The nature of this trial should attract international press coverage. I hope the government and judiciary realise that Thailand's justice system will be on trial just as much as those charged with terrorism.

Good point but these buffons could not care less about international press coverage. Case in point, "sorry USA we don't want or need your assistance for flood control we are experts". Result 900+ citizens died. Mai pen rai.

Are you sure? I don't think so.

"He denied the protest leaders incited their followers to cause violence."

Unfortunately, this seems to be the traditional Thai catch-all defense attitude to any accusation. 'Denial'

The video camera is a wonderful invention. It simply shoots holes in this guys lies.

Throw the book at them

Yes, throw the book at them if found guilty. They are responsible for the deaths and injuries to so many people, and also caused many innocent Thais their livelihoods and all that damage to property, make an example of them so that no one will dare try that again.

I wonder how those dozens or even hundreds of videos in the public domain showing these Red Leaders doing exactly what they are charged with will be nullified in court. That is their only hope.

When has hard evidence ever mattered?

Throw the book at them

Yes, throw the book at them if found guilty. They are responsible for the deaths and injuries to so many people, and also caused many innocent Thais their livelihoods and all that damage to property, make an example of them so that no one will dare try that again.

Precisely. The sticking point is the terrorism charge. Very very hard to make that stick.

They should have found something easier. Charging people with terrorism is a very technical charge, especially when they are the leaders, who will inevitably say they aren't responsible for the conduct of others. Has anyone down south been charged with it yet?

Throw the book at them

Precisely. The sticking point is the terrorism charge. Very very hard to make that stick.

They should have found something easier. Charging people with terrorism is a very technical charge, especially when they are the leaders, who will inevitably say they aren't responsible for the conduct of others. Has anyone down south been charged with it yet?

Throw the book at them

You are right. Terrorism is not easy to define & labelling someone or group terrorist(s) even more difficult. It's far too often a finger pointing exercise to dam_n those of an opposing opinion. Individuals, groups, militaries & even governments commit terrorist acts but usually only the weak get tarnished with the terrorist label.

Violent conduct or incitement to violence or both is the type of charge that should have been made.

Are you sure? I don't think so.

One liberal (not Rush Limbaugh "liberal") weekly newspaper reported the 2010 military crackdown under the headline "The Butchers of Bangkok". And this was just one of a string of similar one sided reports. Do you think they will now celebrate long term prison sentences for the red shirt leaders as a victory for the rule of law? "Au contraire, my dear Watson".

"I'm certain that the protesters did not need any speeches to provoke them. They saw more and more people injured and dying. The situation was already very heated," Nattawut told AFP in an interview.

with lots of speeches and actions before March - May 2010 I'm sure the situation was already heated. Furthermore, although the protesters didn't need any speeches to provoke them, UDD leaders just gave those hate-filled shoutcasts to be sure.

Anyway, with the ICC soon taking over the investigation and judgement of the March - May 2010 mayhem ... ...rolleyes.gif

I doubt they will. They have nothing to gain by it. They are neutral and having seen the leaders advocating burning Bangkok down and to resist the Legal authority that told them to move out of public property. They will just laugh They are not stupid like the people who the government is playing up to.

Double standards anyone?

What in the world are you talking about. You have your feet planted firmly in mid air.

The military coup was not that upsetting to the majority of Thais and was a dead issue through the next two Governments.

The third Government came into power exactly like its two predecessors and the current government. All four came into power the same and only legal way in Thailand. Period end of discussion mountains and mountains of proof.

There was no army coup involved. If you say that the Dems were because of an army coup many years prior are you not saying the PT is a result of an Army coup many many years prior to now. If it was wrong for one is it not also wrong for the other.

I hope for the mental peace of your mind it is not that way. That is what I would call schizophrenic thinking.

No disrespect meant but really 1989 Chins events and 2009 Burmese events completely unrelated to 2010 Thailand events. At least you didn't bring in 1225 events with Genghis Khan now they were bad.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 2

Throw the book at them

Yep, and put them in front of a firing squad.

That might get their attention.

Their attention span will be short lived, but the rest of the followers might take notice on the next protest.

They have an attention span? blink.png

I think today they forgot yesterday's pie they ate! And tomorrow they'll forget today's pie.

These toffs do know two good Latin-English words translated. 'Ad infinitum'.

It's ad infinitum until you get caught, and then re-write the laws to suit.

The Thai-English is 'mai pen rai.' clap2.gif

-mel.