Thailand's Prime Minister Yingluck Survives No-Confidence Vote

webfact

Thai PM survives no-confidence vote

BANGKOK, Nov 28, 2012 (AFP) - Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra Wednesday easily survived a no-confidence vote orchestrated by her opponents in parliament who accused her of failing to crack down on graft.

Yingluck, Thailand's first female premier, won 308 of the 467 votes, securing support even from outside her six-party coalition which commands about three-fifths of the seats in the lower house.

The former businesswoman took office in August 2011 after a decisive election victory by her Puea Thai party which has close links to her brother, ousted former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

"Parliament has voted for Prime Minister Yingluck to continue her work," house speaker Somsak Kiatsuranont announced after the vote, which followed three days of debate by MPs.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubumrung, Defence Minister Sukumpol Suwanatat and Deputy Interior Minister Chat Kuladilok also survived censure motions.

Yingluck was accused by the main opposition Democrat Party of overseeing corruption -- particularly in a controversial government rice purchase scheme -- and of being the puppet of her brother.

Thaksin was toppled by royalist generals in a coup in 2006. He lives overseas to avoid a jail sentence imposed in his absence for corruption charges that he contends were politically motivated.

His overthrow unleashed years of rival political street protests.

Two months of mass rallies against the previous government in 2010 by "Red Shirt" Thaksin supporters sparked a deadly military crackdown that left about 90 people dead and nearly 1,900 wounded.

Thaksin's opponents staged their own anti-government protests in Bangkok on Saturday, sparking clashes with the police.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-11-28

PM, 3 ministers, sail through censure debate

By Digital Media

BANGKOK, Nov 28 - Thailand's House of Representatives today upheld Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and three cabinet members after a heated no-confidence debate, which started Sunday and ended late last night, spearheaded by the opposition Democrat Party.

While the prime minister was sustained, her subordinates received less support from Parliament.

Ms Yingluck received 308 votes in support of her performance, against 159 votes to censure, while her deputy, Chalerm Yubumrung, passed with a vote of 287 to 157, with 25 abstentions and 11 MPs expressed no decision.

Defence Minister Sukumpol Suwanatat and Deputy Interior Minister Chat Kuladilok were each given 284 votes of confidence.

ACM Sukumpol received 160 confidence votes, 25 abstentions and 11 remained silent, while Pol Lt-Gen Chat was given 182 confidence votes, five abstentions and 10 remained silent.

The Thai Parliament’s electronic voting system has three categories with buttons for ‘Yea’, ‘Nay’ and ‘Abstention’. In practice there is a fourth category in which members of parliament are present in the house but do not press any of the three buttons, and express no verbal statement, sometimes described as ‘silent’ votes.

The opposition needs votes from at least half of the total number of Lower House MPs to unseat a cabinet member.

Supachai Jaisamut, deputy secretary general of the opposition Bhumjaithai Party, said the party’s 24 MPs voted in favour of the prime minister as they viewed that the Opposition's allegations against the premier had no substantial grounds, but abstained from voting for deputy prime minister Chalerm and defence minister Sukumpol.

The party MPs abstained for deputy prime minister Chalerm and defence minister Sukumpol, Mr Supachai said, saying that the decision was to allow the country to move forward.

The Bhumjaithai MPs however cast no-confidence votes for deputy interior minister Chat believing that the Democrats had strong evidence against the minister.

Mr Supachai stated that the party's vote should not be interpreted as a desire to join the Pheu Thai-led government.

House Speaker Somsak Kiatsuranont later announced that all four cabinet ministers received sufficient votes of confidence from the Lower House.

The constitution stipulates that the opposition needs at least half of the total 500 MPs to unseat a cabinet member. Currently, there are 493 MPs attending the House. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-11-28

Supachai Jaisamut, deputy secretary general of the opposition Bhumjaithai Party, said the party’s 24 MPs voted in favour of the prime minister as they viewed that the Opposition's allegations against the premier had no substantial grounds, but abstained from voting for deputy prime minister Chalerm and defence minister Sukumpol.

Says it all doesn't it.They know that the culprits are rotten to the root as they don't give a <deleted> about Chalerm or Sukunmpot but still vote for Yingliuck because they're scared to be banned from the trough if they don't.

I don't know the correct composition of Parliament, but is there a chance that 159 is exactly the number of votes that are not attached to the coalition ?

There's going to be a lot of crying and toys out of the prams in this thread smile.png

Who is going to cry?

Are you surprised? I don't think anyone is surprised. I don't thing anyone expected something else from these hungry wolves.

Sorry mate.

Edited by Nickymaster

Says it all doesn't it.They know that the culprits are rotten to the root as they don't give a <deleted> about Chalerm or Sukunmpot but still vote for Yingliuck because they're scared to be banned from the trough if they don't.

I don't know the correct composition of Parliament, but is there a chance that 159 is exactly the number of votes that are not attached to the coalition ?

Read the OP and you will see:

"Yingluck, Thailand's first female premier, won 308 of the 467 votes, securing support even from outside her six-party coalition which commands about three-fifths of the seats in the lower house."

"Yingluck, Thailand's first female premier, won 308 of the 467 votes, securing support even from outside her six-party coalition which commands about three-fifths of the seats in the lower house."

I can't find the exact composition, but according to wikipedia that would be a MAXIMUM of 10 votes outside the coalition.

http://en.wikipedia....tives_(Thailand)

Edited by jbrain

I saw the 308 votes too. That confirms again that Thai politics is rotten to the core. 8 more hungry wolves who want a piece of the pie. They have just learned form the DEMS how corrupt PT is. Now they want something too.

I can't find the exact composition, but according to wikipedia that would be a MAXIMUM of 10 votes outside the coalition.

Ok, next read your original quote that you posted:

"Supachai Jaisamut, deputy secretary general of the opposition Bhumjaithai Party, said the party’s 24 MPs voted in favour of the prime minister..."

As opposition they are not part of the coalition, and so I think you've answered your own question.

Ok, next read your original quote that you posted:

"Supachai Jaisamut, deputy secretary general of the opposition Bhumjaithai Party, said the party’s 24 MPs voted in favour of the prime minister..."

As opposition they are not part of the coalition, and so I think you've answered your own question.

Thank you for correcting me and pointing me to the real issue. I'm not much interested in Thai politics, other than that I hate everything that has to do with red shirts terrorists , so I did some googling and found this.

Bhumjaithai has a populist platform, since some of the platform was drawn from Thaksin's populist Thai Rak Thai party, and the People's Power Party.[7]

Subsequently, the party's Matchima-faction, led by Somsak Thepsuthin, tried to join the Pheu-Thai-led coalition government of Prime Minister-designate Yingluck Shinawatra, despite the party's firmly outruling cooperation with Pheu Thai before the elections. However, Pheu Thai Party rejected a possible government participation of BJT members.[5]

http://en.wikipedia....umjaithai_Party

So in fact Bhumjaithai is a faction of the great leaders TRT party and was rejected in the coalition.

Now if the had included a picture of the Bhumjaithai leaders in the OP, then there would be clearly visible brown circle around their mouth and under their brown nose.

Again, thank you for pointing out the real issue.

Edited by jbrain