Living In Thailand On A 49,000Baht/mo Budget. Questions.

Rambling Man

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the outskirts of Bkk but still on the city bus route...

Nice room overlooking lake - 2700

Water and electricity - 500 (not much need for aircon 'cos it's 5th floor in the sea breeze)

Unlimited but slow Mobile internet - 450

Mobile phone (voice & SMS) - 500

Street food - 3000

bus, motosai, sorng tau (I go somewhere every day) - 2000

Clothes and Shoes new/repairs - 500

Total < 10,000 per month

You'll need to buy office style furniture for your work and sheets, pillows, etc, - the room just has bed, mattress, wardrobe, dresser, stool, but all new

Keep a bit for a rainy day and blow the rest on the restaurants, booze, girls, travel, etc.....

Did I say I am a cheepcharlie ? w00t.gif

edit to add -- The new BTS extension is under construction at the end of my road ;)

Edited by jpinx

if you don't like going to bars you will be bored out of your mind here

do you like girls?

I don't even try to pick up girls at the bars here in America. If I go to the bar, it's because I want to get drunk with my friends. Not to chase some tail. I'd rather meet a girl that doesn't hang out in bars waiting for dudes to pay for their drinks.

Come to Isaan

Rent 3000 - 6000 THB for an alright apartment in a small city, or a 2-3 bedroom house in a countryside town

Food 3000 - 4000 THB a month for lunch + dinner (including a pepsi or something with dinner) (Assuming you can eat Thai food)

Power 1000 THB a month

Internet 1000 THB a month

Phone 1000 THB a month

So you're looking at roughly 12,000 - 16,000 a month for general expenses. Maybe give or take a little as those are rough estimates.

If you want to go out and meet a few similar aged people, tell me and if you end up in a province near me, I'll put you in touch with a few of my friends. If you go to the countryside, rather than a small city in Isaan, you'll likely find similar aged English speaking people to be few and far between.

Thanks for your insight, seems great. I live cheaply as it is, living cheaply there shouldn't be a major issue for me.

Don't forget about insurance, you don't want to end up without money when in a small accident.

Can cost you more than you think. And save some money for the return ticket.

I suggest that before you go to Thailand you have at least 5.000 us$ (more is better) on your account, only to be used in emergencies.

I'll have funds saved.

Don't forget about insurance, you don't want to end up without money when in a small accident.

Can cost you more than you think. And save some money for the return ticket.

I suggest that before you go to Thailand you have at least 5.000 us$ (more is better) on your account, only to be used in emergencies.

For some reason, this post makes me sad. sad.png

Is this what traveling the World, free as a bird, at 25 has become?

"Free as a bird" may mean "I trust my parents will bail me out if I get in deep shit"?? biggrin.png

You have to choose your own level of risk.

Ha, my parents don't help with shit. I moved out on my 18th birthday and have been more or less self supported since. As far as health insurance goes, I don't even have health insurance now. I haven't had it since I was 18. <shrugs>

50K baht will be enough to get by, if you live a bit on the outskirts of the city somewhere like On Nut/Bangna.

However, it will not be a luxurious or even comfortable life. Thai life is only cheap as long as you stick to basics. Wine, music and women will cost you more than back home. Likewise with health/sport clubs and dining to an international standard.

Have you factored in all the extras: Health insurance, Visa runs, tuition, clothes, travel etc etc?

If you get a good Thai social circle and/or a Thai girlfriend (who is not a variety of whore), then you can probably enjoy your life much on 50K. However, without a good social circle, your life will be much more expensive and entertainment will cost more.

I'd look at earning more money. As an American you can supplement your income by writing articles on specific subjects or getting into SEO/affiliate marketing. I'm 30 btw and I wouldn't move to Bangkok for less than 100K a month these days. Of course, you're younger, so maybe don't have the same standards.

Anyway, feel free to send me your contact info if you want to chat more about things. I also work remotely online.

I don't even have the luxury of health insurance here in America. I've already researched the cost of some medical procedures in Thailand, like LASIK and having a couple veneers placed for a better smile, and the costs didn't seem like anything that I couldn't pay out of pocket or on a plan.

If I get hit by a car over there, medical expense wise, I'd be just as <<Snip!>> there that I would be here without insurance.

Edited by metisdead
: Profanity

If I get hit by a car over there, medical expense wise, I'd be just as fuc_ked there that I would be here without insurance.

That is not quite what will happen.

In the US or other western country you will be picked up by an ambulance treated and then presented with a bill.

Here in Thailand you are probably picked up by some guys that listen to the police radio and race to your location to be the first. They make some money because they will deliver you to the most expensive hospital.

There the question will be "Are you insured or pay cash'. If you are incapable of speaking you have more change for a minimal treatment, just enough to ask the question.

If not insured and no money (calling for financial assitance to family?) no more treatment.

That is why you need insurance or an emergency fund.

• Like 1

I havn't had an insurance during my 10 years here,

i was looking into it but it's cheaper to pay if and when i want. (obviously,

insurance companies arent charity organizations, they charge more than they pay, to make a profit, and then sill can find a reason not to pay)

If i want something done i'll go to queen sirikit hospital.

btw you ca get a room with air con for 5000 in central pattaya as well.

You can rent very good appartment in Bangkok on budget over 10k baht per month. In the country you will get even nicer place for this but really no need to spend that amount.

Phuket: everything more expensive IME.

upcountry like Chaingmai much better value and people are nice i hear.Lot of farangs up that way they say but i dont know if that is advantage or no? whistling.gif

I read an article where someone mentioned wearing shoes at night when getting up to walk around the house because of scorpions.

BS, for one Thai people not wear shoe inside a house anywhere.also you are not the low level farang so will not be living in the shack anyway.no need to worry.

YES you might see the ghecko or lizard climbing the walls upcountry.I never see a scorpion inside, but i can beleive as they might go where there is a place with water.

Just be a story like people say the snake and spider will kill you in Australia after one day.

But beware, do have brown two legged variety of creature here VERY dangerous and known to eat wallets of stupid farangs of which there are plenty.rolleyes.gif

alcohol not expensive can get a bottle of Heinekin for ubder $3,cheaper brand local beer even less. Many down and out farang like beer chang, i think is about 39 baht a large bottle but i dont know as i dont buythumbsup.gif

If you eat local noodle and food on street you go under 100baht each meal as many down and outer farang do here.After some time i think you will want to buy your own choice at supermarket but still cheap. of course farang food always expensive here and farang owned pub and hotel want ridiculous amount for food and beer.best to avoid for this and many other reason towai2.gif

Just trying to see if I can live out my dream of living in a little place close to the country side, close to the city and close to the beach. By close, ~20 minute travel via taxi...

one place like that is around Pattaya but many people on the site say Pattaya is a cess pool and a terrible place full of turds!

on this sometimes i would have to agree with them.

for sure many keenok farang be there and many of them dying and jumping off buildings already.and the Thais that hanging around the farang ghetto will not be very nice and should be avoided! especially the ladyboy is certainly more dangerous than any scorpion or killer cobra tongue.png

Also, I will be 25 when I get there. Is there any way I can connect with people my age who want to go do stuff?

Usually for some reason the farang avoid each other here like a leper,sometime you lucky to get someone even say hello but they just look the other way when they see you. This because they dont like any other farang around to take away attention from them.dhickheads not worth knowing so no great loss not to meet !

At 25 you might have a chance to mix with others this age but sometime the American guy at that age are just a big loudmouth and usually talk so much sh7t that any normal person will loose interest very quick.Aussie guys might be fun for you for a time but then soon turn into a loudmouth drunken macho bore and probably want to fight for fun..tosser they call them and best to avoid wink.png

But of course if you be like them then you would fit in great! clap2.gif

I can talk about living in the city (Bangkok). Most Thais earn around 10k THB per month and they are able to renta 4-5k one room apartment and have all the meals outside, so don't worry about living on your budget.

Most Thais definitely NOT earn 10K Baht, they earn significantly more. The only ones who earn that little is the peasent farmers from Isaan. The average wage for a university educated Thai with some years experience is around 30K.

I can talk about living in the city (Bangkok). Most Thais earn around 10k THB per month and they are able to renta 4-5k one room apartment and have all the meals outside, so don't worry about living on your budget.

Most Thais definitely NOT earn 10K Baht, they earn significantly more. The only ones who earn that little is the peasent farmers from Isaan. The average wage for a university educated Thai with some years experience is around 30K.

What percent of the Thai workforce is university educated?

You can rent very good appartment in Bangkok on budget over 10k baht per month. In the country you will get even nicer place for this but really no need to spend that amount.

upcountry like Chaingmai much better value and people are nice i hear.Lot of farangs up that way they say but i dont know if that is advantage or no? whistling.gif

I read an article where someone mentioned wearing shoes at night when getting up to walk around the house because of scorpions.

BS, for one Thai people not wear shoe inside a house anywhere.also you are not the low level farang so will not be living in the shack anyway.no need to worry.

YES you might see the ghecko or lizard climbing the walls upcountry.I never see a scorpion inside, but i can beleive as they might go where there is a place with water.

Just be a story like people say the snake and spider will kill you in Australia after one day.

But beware, do have brown two legged variety of creature here VERY dangerous and known to eat wallets of stupid farangs of which there are plenty.rolleyes.gif

alcohol not expensive can get a bottle of Heinekin for ubder $3,cheaper brand local beer even less. Many down and out farang like beer chang, i think is about 39 baht a large bottle but i dont know as i dont buythumbsup.gif

If you eat local noodle and food on street you go under 100baht each meal as many down and outer farang do here.After some time i think you will want to buy your own choice at supermarket but still cheap. of course farang food always expensive here and farang owned pub and hotel want ridiculous amount for food and beer.best to avoid for this and many other reason towai2.gif

Just trying to see if I can live out my dream of living in a little place close to the country side, close to the city and close to the beach. By close, ~20 minute travel via taxi...

one place like that is around Pattaya but many people on the site say Pattaya is a cess pool and a terrible place full of turds!

for sure many keenok farang be there and many of them dying and jumping off buildings already.and the Thais that hanging around the farang ghetto will not be very nice and should be avoided! especially the ladyboy is certainly more dangerous than any scorpion or killer cobra tongue.png

Also, I will be 25 when I get there. Is there any way I can connect with people my age who want to go do stuff?

Usually for some reason the farang avoid each other here like a leper,sometime you lucky to get someone even say hello but they just look the other way when they see you. This because they dont like any other farang around to take away attention from them.dhickheads not worth knowing so no great loss not to meet !

At 25 you might have a chance to mix with others this age but sometime the American guy at that age are just a big loudmouth and usually talk so much sh7t that any normal person will loose interest very quick.Aussie guys might be fun for you for a time but then soon turn into a loudmouth drunken macho bore and probably want to fight for fun..tosser they call them and best to avoid wink.png

I wanted to congratulate you on a choice of a posting name. Very appropriate. clap2.gif

Lepers, drunkards, killer snakes, Americans, ladyboys, loudmouths, tossers, Australians, bores, dhickheads, ghetto farang AND down n outs!

Sure you didn't forget anyone?

OP's probably running for the hills as we speak.

• Like 2

Make sure you have enough money for the following. . .

Insurance

Visa's, and Visa fees I.e transportation, pictures etc.

Plane ticket (back home), money to reestablish yourself back home apt/house money, transportation fees etc.

A cell phone (one that takes a sim card) for use in Thailand.

Laptop

Money for items you may want in your apt/house in Thailand I.e TV, refrigerator, blender, coffee maker, dishes, utensils, furniture etc.

Money for a scooter, motorcycle, or car. Or you can use local transportation depending on the area you settle I.e taxi, scooter taxi, BTS, MRT, etc.

These are just some of the few things you may want to have a few bucks for...

As far as monthly expenses 49,000 is plenty!!!!

Enjoy life, nothing ventured nothing gained...

:D

P.s I have lived in several parts of Bangkok, and the 49,000 will cover what you have mentioned in your posts......

Edited by Newguy70

50k is fine dude. I lived in Bangkok for 2 years and was easily able to stick to that.

I paid 22,000 a month rent for a whole 4 bedroom house, leaving 28k over to do whatever.

Going out and drinking on your own can get expensive, alcohol in clubs isn't cheap - UNLESS - you go with friends and just buy bottles. You'll then usually get free entry, and after a split it's around 300/400 baht each, which makes a night out pretty good value.

I used to eat Thai food quite a lot as I like it, but even going for western style won't break the bank, say around 300 unless you are going some gourmet place.

My friends who are English teachers get around 33k total - and they are all perfectly happy.

Edited by Monokuro

You won't have a luxury life, but yes you can make it with 50k in Thailand, and even in BKK.

Traps to avoid? Girls, a car, and any form of loan.

You can have a nice flat with pool and fitness for less than 10k a month.

Transportation in the city is easy and cheap. Traveling outside BKK is not expensive, and you can go anywhere by bus (I'd avoid vans)

Just make sure you have a health insurance and a bit of cash for the unexpected.

I don't even have the luxury of health insurance here in America. I've already researched the cost of some medical procedures in Thailand, like LASIK and having a couple veneers placed for a better smile, and the costs didn't seem like anything that I couldn't pay out of pocket or on a plan.

If I get hit by a car over there, medical expense wise, I'd be just as <<Snip!>> there that I would be here without insurance.

Of course if you go the insurance route that is better but if not able to for what ever reason...

I would recommend having a credit card with at least 10k available (just in case)

As this should be enough to cover most cost if any serious accidents and all hospitals that I have been to in Thailand accept credit cards

If you are working is US, shouldn't be to hard to get a cc, if you do not have already. Then just leave it in your wallet in case of emergency

Lepers, drunkards, killer snakes, Americans, ladyboys, loudmouths, tossers, Australians, bores, dhickheads, ghetto farang AND down n outs!

Sure you didn't forget anyone?

OP's probably running for the hills as we speak.

laugh.png

i try to tell it like it is

but what i try to say is if you live away from tourist spot or in suburb of Bangkok or upcountry you have much less exposure to this type of personthumbsup.gif

Re the question of Education levels of Thai workforce.. See attached.

Sorry for off topic post but someone had asked the question.

For the OP

You can easily live on 49k a month. You can as easily live on 20k a month or 200k a month. Only you know what level of comfort you will be satisfied with but generally 49k will give you a comfortable life but not extravagant.

Thailand Educational Status and Enrollment.PDF

• Like 1

I love the country and I mean 600km from Bangkok, but language is the issue if you cant speak Thai/Laos. It is soooo much cheaper though its ridiculous.

its not ridiculous. most dont want to live there.....hence the low cost!!!!!!!!!!!1 nothing out there.

ok for some but not many!

For those without insurance. Yes, paying for a runny nose is cheap out of pocket, but what about a car crash and a week in intensive care maybe with an operation? That will run you into the hundreds of thousands of baht. I sure hope you have that money lying around.

For those without insurance. Yes, paying for a runny nose is cheap out of pocket, but what about a car crash and a week in intensive care maybe with an operation? That will run you into the hundreds of thousands of baht. I sure hope you have that money lying around.

Nephew has just recently come out of hospital, dengue fever, luckily the family was insured, the bill for that little stay was well over 100k.

Already told my gf under no circumstance send me to bkk pattaya hospital.

I want queen sirikit, or skip it altogether

I agree with you but there are a lot of things they can't do for example I don't think they have a cath lab so no stents or clearing of blocked arteries. I guess you would die. The deal is you go to Sirikit and if they can't do it they transfer you to another government hospital but that would be a couple of hours away.

I don't think I can reasonably get real health insurance in LOS due to my age. It's one of the oft unmentioned things about the cost of living in LOS vs the West. I have full coverage Medicare Advantage in the US for $125 a month, but it's no good when living in LOS.

You are as a 'tourist' not eligible for a Thai health insurance.

The best you can manage is a health travel insurance bought in your own country.

Often those have a time limit (tourist!), maybe you can find one for about 6 months.

If you are staying in Thailand for that long maybe you find a job and can have insurance here.

Only other option withtout insurance is to have enough on your bankaccount, i would have at least 50.000 us$ as insurance for emergencies. That can be a combination of savings, cash that can be loaned from family friends (agreed beforehand) and credit cards.

• 3 weeks later...

Having already gone to the expense of building a place upcountry, I could easily live there on 10k a month including household bills, food and Thai whisky at 120 baht a bottle!

Renting a place could be as little as 2k a month, depends on where and what you want. My Thai is poor, I don't gamble but I enjoy the mountains, waterfalls, fishing and generally chilling. I do download lots of movies and TV series to watch of an evening and I have a couple of dogs and a rai of land to potter about on.

Simple needs?

• Like 2

Lots of conversation about health insurance. Ok, so i'll bite.

I'll be 25, won't be a resident of Thailand as it appears I'll have to live on a tourist visa. I'm a smoker. How much would I expect Thai health insurance to cost me per month?

Google "World Nomads"