Thailand-Malaysia-Cambodia-Vietnam-Laos-China (Yunnan)-Laos-Thailand-Roundtrip With Own Thai-Car

everydayholiday

hello - my first posting here - after searching in forum already, could not find recent infos.

is it possible to drive my own thai-car (registered in name of my wife) with the following routing:

thailand - malaysia - back to thailand - cambodia - vietnam - laos - ev. china (yunnan) back to laos and back to thailand.

thanks alot

martin

to go to Laos with your car from thailand,you have to get a passport for your car,easy to get

If i'm not mistaken you can get the car/truck passport the same place you get your drivers permit,

at least thats the way in Mukdahan,

not sure about the other places,know it can be done,but don't know any info.i've only drove into Laos and back

thailand - malaysia - back to thailand - cambodia - vietnam - laos - ev. china (yunnan) back to laos and back to thailand.

Your wife needs be with you;

First go get the purple book for ur car at the vehicle registration office ( where u renew ur plates each years) takes a day a cost 50 baht. Its nothing more than a car passport an has all the info in the blue book but in English

Laos; The purple book, blue book ( to leave Thailand) and u need buy insurance at the border cost me 800 baht for 3 weeks ( even though u only get 14 days for ur car)

Malaysia; FOR PHUKET the purple book does not work an u need a letter from same office

Vietnam; Impossible

China; Impossible unless ur on a tour group

Cambodia;, some borders will let u in, ( Koh Kong near Trat,and than only allowed to drive in Koh Kong Provence although everyone , including me, ignores this and drives everywhere) and Osmach near Surin) others no way. Poi Pet maybe if u have permission from Phnom Penh in advance

• 10 months later...

I see many Chinese plated cars in C Rai province and the other day a French registered camper van leaving the ferry from Laos !

I wanted to ask them if hey had drivenn all the way but by the time I could turn round they had gone.

It was a white French mobile home typical in Europe smaller than a Winnebago around 6m long

With the new crossing from Ban Jo go making China only 240km once open in 6 weeks be interested if it is possible to leave Thai car safely atBoten crossing then public transport into Xishangbanna China.

Last time I was there it was full of cars waiting t be smuggled into China and I thought leaving my Thai plated truck there was an invitation to be stolen and feel pretty sure no realistic enforceable insurance likely available?

So any info on the following

Digs at Boten with secure compound to leave a Thai registered truck?

Has anyone ever had to make an insurance claim in Laos?

Can my Thai wife drive into Chian if so what documents needed Int Drivers Licence+Carnet?

Would I be better off hiring a Thai or Laos veghicle and just pay someone for full comprehensive insurance so I am left with no excess.I fear some drunk with no lights may try the tricks common here with his friendly local "officer" If they imound a hire car I can walk whereas our own is a bigger headache.

Edited by RubbaJohnny

For China and Vietnam you can only drive a car IF you hold a driving licence issued there-as this will be checked at border- a tipical no-entry for farang. Of course the Chinese exam is fully in Chinese-incl. the written part.

Nope, at least for China you can drive there with your home license. Probably need it legalized or something, they do not accept an international driving license.

Some German fellows apparently organize tours with motorbikes and BMWs in China for reasons best known to themselves.

Thing is, you need to

* get a carnet from customs for your car at thrice it's value on entry (which is a kind of deposit you get back once you leave)

* provide the officials with a route you take and there can be no deviations or extensions (most Chinese need papers to leave their own villages)

* you are required to have a paid tour guide, who can either accompany you in your vehicle (obviously not a motorbike) or in his own vehicle at additional costs. (your private chaperone)

* get a Visa for all specific areas which is a hassle outside the big cities with airports and the Hongkong-zone.

Don't know about Nam, but all in all it is too much of a hassle to my mind. I guess you have to accept China is not a touristy spot and definitely not part of the free world.

Still: do-able on a limited scale..

Edited by Saradoc1972

I see many Chinese plated cars in C Rai province and the other day a French registered camper van leaving the ferry from Laos !

I wanted to ask them if hey had drivenn all the way but by the time I could turn round they had gone.

It was a white French mobile home typical in Europe smaller than a Winnebago around 6m long

With the new crossing from Ban Jo go making China only 240km once open in 6 weeks be interested if it is possible to leave Thai car safely atBoten crossing then public transport into Xishangbanna China.

Last time I was there it was full of cars waiting t be smuggled into China and I thought leaving my Thai plated truck there was an invitation to be stolen and feel pretty sure no realistic enforceable insurance likely available?

So any info on the following

Digs at Boten with secure compound to leave a Thai registered truck?

Has anyone ever had to make an insurance claim in Laos?

Can my Thai wife drive into Chian if so what documents needed Int Drivers Licence+Carnet?

Would I be better off hiring a Thai or Laos veghicle and just pay someone for full comprehensive insurance so I am left with no excess.I fear some drunk with no lights may try the tricks common here with his friendly local "officer" If they imound a hire car I can walk whereas our own is a bigger headache.

I do not claim to have any experience with Laos or a Lao insurance whatsoever.

For a fact, Laos will accept an international driver's license and you probably have to get a carnet for any vehicle you import on a temporary basis with a corresponding deposit, so take your papers with you showing at what market-value you got your car.

From a hunch (as a lawyer who obviously shuns going outside his own legislation) I'd say you're better off renting a car inside Laos from a reputable source with full insurance cover. That way it's Lao quarreling with Lao over who has to pay instead of a farang with an insurance from stupid neighbouring country going against some Lao. It's only a chance things may go smoother, but it cannot hurt and you're in no worse position anyway when and if the shit hits the fan.

By some travel documentary there is some German guy in Vientianne who makes a business renting out ATVs for extendend gps-guided Jungle-tours and will even get you out by himself if you run your trike into the mud or get all lost. Maybe do some tourist stay over there and get some local info first before you get your car there.