Royal Flora 2012-2013

flashlight92

Does anyone have any info on this year's Royal Flora Ratchaphruek ? I've heard it started on 1 Dec but that's it. Other years we've bought a ticket early from Khrung Thai bank, there were shuttle buses from the train station, special events for the King's Birthday, etc . Any inof would be appreciated.

Sorry I am confused smile.png

I went last year sometime in December but had the impression the place is open year round.

Is this Royal Flora Ratchaphruek something different within the same place?

Thanks

Edited by mania

I went last year sometime in December but had the impression the place is open year round.

Thanks

Open year round but once every 4 or more years there is a very special Festival which goes on for many weeks - 3 months to be exact. Thais from everywhere in Thailand come in caravans of buses, trains, planes, etc., etc. Everywhere is full.

One of the nicest events I have seen in Thailand. Highly recommended. If you like gardens, it doesn't get any better that this.

• Like 1

Open year round but once every 4 or more years there is a very special Festival which goes on for many weeks - 3 months to be exact. Thais from everywhere in Thailand come in caravans of buses, trains, planes, etc., etc. Everywhere is full.

One of the nicest events I have seen in Thailand. Highly recommended. If you like gardens, it doesn't get any better that this.

Thanks I was there last year Dec 22nd very beautiful.

Will go again for sure.

Was down there tonight, not much going on apart from a small food festival outside, Northern Expo.

On 12th Dec-29th Dec larger food fair. There was an event going on inside but looked a pretty small event.

But inside Flora, it is open as usual etc but nothing going on.

post-65233-0-91913400-1354546984_thumb.j

Thanks

Well I don't like gardens but in the case of the Royal Flora I make a 180 degree turn the place is a marvel and well worth going to.

I went last year and really enjoyed it but I didn't get to see the whole park so am very disappointed to hear it won't be open this year. I was under the impression it was open every year from December till around April.

I went last year and really enjoyed it but I didn't get to see the whole park so am very disappointed to hear it won't be open this year. I was under the impression it was open every year from December till around April.

Thanks but it appears you have linked me to this thread. Was that intentional?

http://www.thaivisa....3/#entry5899489

Thanks but it appears you have linked me to this thread. Was that intentional?

Yes sorry I should have just quoted that post I linked.

In that post electrikfied said

"Open year round but once every 4 or more years there is a very special Festival which goes on for many weeks - 3 months to be exact."

So yes it is open year round but every so often they hold special events.

It is a beautiful place & like you, I also found it hard to take it all in one day as it is so large.

I will also go back as soon as it cools off just a little more :)

Ah that's good news then. I'm not into gardening or anything but I just love walking around there snapping away.

So the flower exo last December... Was that one of the once every 4 year events or is that the norm? Will I see that again if I go in a few weeks?

Edited by wellred

Ah that's good news then. I'm not into gardening or anything but I just love walking around there snapping away.

So the flower exo last December... Was that one of the once every 4 year events or is that the norm? Will I see that again if I go in a few weeks?

I am not sure but will see soon too.

I am guessing they maintain the gardens year round but the exhibits etc maybe change for those shows?

My wife said this time of year or cool season is when more things are blooming there.

Will see.

Yes, that was one of the 'special' events.....not the norm. You will not see that in a few weeks. Pretty sure that was one of the 4 year events. 2008 then 2012. When you go in a few weeks, the gardens will be open but nothing going on, no special displays, no parades, no featured events, no big wheel etc.

Yes, that was one of the 'special' events.....not the norm. You will not see that in a few weeks. Pretty sure that was one of the 4 year events. 2008 then 2012. When you go in a few weeks, the gardens will be open but nothing going on, no special displays, no parades, no featured events, no big wheel etc.

There are events there occasionally but nothing like Royal Flora. One event that I particularly enjoyed there was a Chinese Trade Festival about 18 months ago. It's still a nice place to go and spend an afternoon walking around and it has always been free in the past. There have been a couple of times we have been there and there have been perhaps a total of 10 people in the entire park so it feels like you have the place to yourself.

City-now has the event at "Royal Park Rachapruek from 1-Dec-2012 to 28-Feb-2013". It says there are over 300 kinds of orchids/flowers. There is a phone number 053-114-110, but no other information.

Edited by just_Elaine

Ok thanks. Ill probably just head down there 1 day and see what's going on. I'm glad I got to see it last year though.

Bit off topic but...does anyone know where one might be able to get a miniature model of the temple within the park itself? I didn't see anything being sold at the expo last year but someone may know elsewhere in Chiang Mai worth trying.

Royal Park Rajapreuk, along with HRDI (Public Organization) and Royal Project Foundation have organized the ‘Flora Fest’ @ Royal Park Rajapruek 2012’.It will be held from 1st December 2012 - 28th February 2013, or lasting for 90 days, running from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. The purpose of the festival is to publicise the royal duties of His Majesty the King and Her Majesty the Queen and also His Royal Highness the Crown Prince of Thailand.

For H.M. The King's Birthday there will be activities, various flower exhibitions, and also a Saiyairak exhibition. During the 90 days there will be winter plants and beautiful flowers decorating the park, including tulips, lilies, carnations, begonias, petunias, blue Hawaii, dahlias, geraniums, hydrangeas and more. There will also be a live concert called,“Music in the Garden” by popular Thai artists, as well as hill tribe and local performances, shows from educational institutes, and special events on New Year’s Day, Valentine’s Day and China New Year’s Day

There are events there occasionally but nothing like Royal Flora. One event that I particularly enjoyed there was a Chinese Trade Festival about 18 months ago. It's still a nice place to go and spend an afternoon walking around and it has always been free in the past. There have been a couple of times we have been there and there have been perhaps a total of 10 people in the entire park so it feels like you have the place to yourself.

I stand corrected, yes they do have the odd 'special' event every now and then....that Chinese one was good, first time I had seen Chinese Mask Changing....excellent!

Thanks

Wrong! It is open from now til 28th of February and this is annual, not every 4 years. Tel. 053 114 110 for more info.

Thanks

Wrong! It is open from now til 28th of February and this is annual, not every 4 years. Tel. 053 114 110 for more info.

TheVicar...

Sorry, but you are wrong. Royal Flora was 11/2006-01/2007 and then again 12/2011-03/2012. I believe the next one is in 2017. Get your facts straight.

Thanks

TheVicar...

Sorry, but you are wrong. Royal Flora was 11/2006-01/2007 and then again 12/2011-03/2012. I believe the next one is in 2017. Get your facts straight.

You're both right and both wrong.

It's open now for sure but without the country exhibitions.

We went last night for fathers day, still nice to walk around. Cost us 140 baht for 2 adults and 3 kids.

• 3 weeks later...

Royal Flora Fest Rajapruek 2012

Open: 1st December 2012 to 28th Feb 2013.

see www.tourismthailand.org

But last year they had free transport bus from train station.

Is there any type of transport this year?

Only at the International event held every 5 years. Some hotels do offer a lift up there in a tram type thing.

It is open everyday. I was expecting a bit more flowers than what they had. Still, a nice walk around. Be sure to go in the temple on the hill. It is a bit different than all the others and lends itself to nice photos. There are only 50 steps to get to the top main entrance.