Thai Massage Gets Rebranded As Nuat Thai

webfact

To be followed by the world-wide re-naming of 'Thai Boxing', or 'Thai Food to Take-Away' or 'Thai Rice', perhaps ?

IIRC the Cambodians boycotted a 'Thai Boxing' event in the Asian Games to protest the name of the event as they believe the sport to have originated in the Khmer Empire and other regions.

Thai food is also another slippery one; Pad Thai is Vietnamese in origin for example, named such by the fascist dictator Phibun to promote Thai nationalism.

Ironically enough, the soapy massage and happy endings are very much a Thai tradition, as the Thais have always been known as a licentious people.

Hope I can be the first to say, this is a nuatty idea ! laugh.png

The world knows it as 'Thai Massage', and changes of brand-name are expensive, oops ... sorry ... I think I just spotted the rationale behind the change, loads-a-money and advertising-budgets required ! wink.png

To be followed by the world-wide re-naming of 'Thai Boxing', or 'Thai Food to Take-Away' or 'Thai Rice', perhaps ?

Imagine a "fresh off the plane" Newcastle lad emailling home.

"Some cow thai, pet - <deleted>, no beef and spicey, bangkok belly all night".

"Some a-han thai saigon - limp sweet pasta/noodles with nuts, no imported nukkie brown, miss me bottle of dog";

"Go see some moi thai - scary <deleted>, dark jungle...... I... I... I cried, I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out; I didn't know what I wanted to do! And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it... I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought, my God... the genius of that! The genius!";

"Go see some nude thai - <deleted>, My man boobs are bigger and...the mum bums..The horror... the horror."

Lets keep it sweet and simple?

My primary point is that it's an excellent money making opportunity, both in Thailand and the West. A lot of you guys are perfectly capable and have the contacts / ability to do it.

It's a better proposition than owning a bar, easier working hours and easier to manage. Get the ambience right, plus the right staff, then you will have a better than average chance of making a living.

Ssssshhhhhhhh! Mr. Blether thumbsup.gif

My primary point is that it's an excellent money making opportunity, both in Thailand and the West. A lot of you guys are perfectly capable and have the contacts / ability to do it.

It's a better proposition than owning a bar, easier working hours and easier to manage. Get the ambience right, plus the right staff, then you will have a better than average chance of making a living.

Sorry :-(

Ignore my earlier post, it's a terrible idea.

Edited by theblether
  • Like 1

At the risk of being controversial this is a good idea. I know a TV member who's making serious money in the UK from Nuat Thai. There's big money in that game and if it could lose it's association with the sex trade it could only help improve an already lucrative business.

Some TV members need to look more closely at Nuat Thai, it's a far better business proposition than owning a bar.

I agree with you, that it would be a good idea to separate the sexshops from the more "serious" businesses. But I can't see why the real massageshops should change their name, they have been Thai Massage for decades, before the sextraders joined the business. So rather than a namechange I would like to see a noncorrupt certification of the "massage for health" shops. (I my dreams, I know)!

As for being a lucrative business. Like any business in Thailand: IT WAS ! sad.png Ten years ago, when we opened our first shop in Hua Hin, we were massageshop number 5 in town, today there are more than 200!!w00t.gif 90% of which are providing some kind of sexservices, which gives the whole business a very bad reputation. We don't mind compitition, but are tired of customers walking in expecting our staff to "fly the kite". Not a moral issue, just boring. Just as it is boring to see staff chose to work in the sexshops, no selfrespect because money talks.

And judged by the posters here, they are making the right choice ! bah.gif

At the risk of being controversial this is a good idea. I know a TV member who's making serious money in the UK from Nuat Thai. There's big money in that game and if it could lose it's association with the sex trade it could only help improve an already lucrative business.

Some TV members need to look more closely at Nuat Thai, it's a far better business proposition than owning a bar.

I agree with you, that it would be a good idea to separate the sexshops from the more "serious" businesses. But I can't see why the real massageshops should change their name, they have been Thai Massage for decades, before the sextraders joined the business. So rather than a namechange I would like to see a noncorrupt certification of the "massage for health" shops. (I my dreams, I know)!

As for being a lucrative business. Like any business in Thailand: IT WAS ! sad.png Ten years ago, when we opened our first shop in Hua Hin, we were massageshop number 5 in town, today there are more than 200!!w00t.gif 90% of which are providing some kind of sexservices, which gives the whole business a very bad reputation. We don't mind compitition, but are tired of customers walking in expecting our staff to "fly the kite". Not a moral issue, just boring. Just as it is boring to see staff chose to work in the sexshops, no selfrespect because money talks.

And judged by the posters here, they are making the right choice ! bah.gif

From my understanding, Thailand as a whole has somewhat of a bad reputation.

Now you think that Thai massage shops should be excluded from that reputation.

For any thai individual, any big hotel that has a Thai massage sign means he can go there for sexual intercourse.

But now things might change, the sign will read Nuat Thai, and will confuse thai people.

And perhaps farangs might now go in enquiring what services they could expect... After all, thai therapist ladies are so accomodating. Aren't they?

Sorry :-(

Ignore my earlier post, it's a terrible idea.

it is also a few years behind the curve, it is being done all over Thailand already.

A friend of mine has 2 shops on soi 11 alone.

quality control certainly beats sitting behind the bar night after night sucking down your profit.

Done right the cost of treatments well exceeds the typical bar tab.

No, the name change will have the opposite effect of preventing confusion. 99.99% of tourists won't know the word "nuat" while the word "massage" is almost universally understood. Plus the transliteration is more accurately written as "nuaat."

Personally I think the most accurate term is "Traditional Thai Massage."

Transliteration quite often does not work properly because the final consenant in Thai is not pronounced like English: It's dead. That is air is not blown out on the final consenant. There is a word for this; but I can't remember it. And vice versa. For an example of this ask an uneducated Thai to say milk or mouse ("miw" maw"). They will struggle.

I'd transliterate นวด (nuat as nooad). นวดแผนโบราณไทย (nooad pern boreraan Thai). I agree, Thai traditional massage would be better, not the transliteration.

Agreed, the correct name is probably more like nooad paern boor-raan - from my understanding means something like old style massage, the best English language equivalent would be "Traditional Thai massage" or even "old style massage" would suffice and certainly sounds better than Thai massage which today with its percieved (mis)understandings, well misunderstanding for some people.

I have never had any "rhythmic pressing", I have had a lot of hard elbows, hard sticks, hard knees, hard forearms most of it generally painful and not relaxing at all.

My mom came to visit awhile back and my wife asked if she wanted a massage, I said no she doesn't need the pain. Call in Nuat or Thai, either way it isn't something to encourage anyone to go get.

I've occasionally wonder if "Thai traditional massage" is the same as "Thai ancient massage".

Will I now be subject to the girls calling "Nuat Thai, Nuat Thai, Nuat Thai" instead of "Massaaaaj. Massaaaaj. Masssaaaj"?

"Nuat Thai, Nuat Thai" ....... they'll shorten that to "Naughty, Naughty".

Some will make it even clearer "Naughty Massage, Naughty Massage"

Edited by TommoPhysicist

No, the name change will have the opposite effect of preventing confusion. 99.99% of tourists won't know the word "nuat" while the word "massage" is almost universally understood. Plus the transliteration is more accurately written as "nuaat."

Personally I think the most accurate term is "Traditional Thai Massage."

Transliteration quite often does not work properly because the final consenant in Thai is not pronounced like English: It's dead. That is air is not blown out on the final consenant. There is a word for this; but I can't remember it. And vice versa. For an example of this ask an uneducated Thai to say milk or mouse ("miw" maw"). They will struggle.

I'd transliterate นวด (nuat as nooad). นวดแผนโบราณไทย (nooad pern boreraan Thai). I agree, Thai traditional massage would be better, not the transliteration.

OK, we shall settle for Nooadt Thai: the traditional Thai massage.

Sign makers will be approving this too. biggrin.png