Finances Stuck In The Uk!

Briandajew

Mods, hope this is the right place - please move if needed.

I have been living and working in Asia since 1997, and have been in Thailand since 2002. In 1993 when I was married in the UK we took out an endowment mortgage over 20 years, I have since been divorced from my UK wife for over 10 years but I kept up the payments on the policy.

We sold the house and split everything, with her getting most of the cash, in turn she signed over the policy to me so that I could keep it up as a fund towards retirement.

The policy was transferred into my name only, and after the house was sold, the bank that I had the mortgage with, sent a letter of "no interest" to the insurance company stating that they had no claim on the policy.

Now, just as the policy is due to mature, the insurance company has sent a load of documents to my UK address (mothers) Requesting that I fill in a lost policy statement (it is not lost - the bank has it) - I have never seen the original and only hold copies.

They also want a document stating that if anyone has a claim to the policy in the future, then I am liable not them. All of this is pretty much reasonable given the fact that the original policy was taken over years ago by Friends Provident (originally AXA)

Here is where my problems begin.

The documents must be signed IN THE PRESENCE of 2 witnesses, these witnesses must be UK citizens residing in the UK, they cannot be retirees!!!! and they need to be someone of suitable standing, Doctor, Priest, Lawyer that kind of thing.

Well, I have been away for 10 years or more, so I have no UK Dr., the last priest I knew that did my sons christening is serving time for child sex offences, in fact, I would struggle to find two people in my old home area that even knew me after all of this time, let alone ones of suitable standing that were not retired.

Has anyone here been through a similar situation and if so, any advice on how to satisfy the insurance company would be extremely helpful.

My mother has authorisation for all of my bank business, wonder if that would help? The insurance company will not accept FAX or scans of the documents, and they require the 2 signatures from the witnesses to be completed in my presence at the same time!!!! Unbelievable or what?

Any advice is appreciated thanks!

Start shopping for a cheap ticket to the UK...biggrin.png

I know that one, but it still doesn't help me even if I get there as I know no one that can witness it anyway!

Surely there must be a way to have someone appointed to sign on my behalf with a solicitor or lawyer present?

Edited by Briandajew

I had a couple of policies which I cashed in, prior to which I had contacted the companies to find out when I could cash them and what was required to do so. The 2 companies were Standard Life and the other was Legal and General. Standard Life were no problem but L & G became a nightmare, much like yours, kept coming up with excuses as to why they could not send me a cheque or credit my bank, in the end I got on the phone and told them I needed it urgently for an operation and needed the money now! I then got it. I was in the UK when all this happened, you could try the same thing, explain you are not in the UK but you can get the form signed ( If you can get the forms out here quick- I got some model railway stuff sent in 3 days.) out here ( Embassy staff?) and fax it back to them perhaps? Otherwise I am afriad its the first flight home to the UK.

Good luck anyway.

• Like 1

Start shopping for a cheap ticket to the UK...biggrin.png

I know that one, but it still doesn't help me even if I get there as I know no one that can witness it anyway!

Fly to the UK..go to your local pub and find two upstanding gentlemen to assist you for a fee

• Like 1

Phone them up do not deal with the run of the mill insurance admin people just ask to speak to the boss of the division when you first call up and when they ask you what it is about tell them its personal that should move you up the ladder to some one of substance.

Then get there name and tell them that you will be going to the Engliah embassy in Thailand to have there forms witnessed by people of good standing there along with the embassy stamp.

Then ask the boss nicely please help me will that satisfy your company needs and can you authorise its progress.

If he say's yes then get the forms sent to you in Thailand go to the Embassy and then directly mail the completed forms back to the boss you had spoken to from the insurance company also make the mail reg to him so there is no excuse that they did not get it. PS also ask him if it is ok to have the proceeds directly transfered to your bank either in the uk or Thailand. Cover all your angles.

Best of luck

Edited by whiteman
  • Like 2

Thanks there everyone, some good suggestions, I'll let you know, but a flight back to the UK is the last thing I want at the minute, Christmas is almost here, new year everywhere on holiday, then my extension of stay is due around the same time as the policy is due.

Thanks a lot for your input, gives me a few places to start.

Hint: They don't check out the people who countersign.

or alternatively should be plenty of UK citizens who are teachers around to sign for you.

I was thinking along those lines, after all, if I was to get my brother to sign and just use his middle name as a surname and his girlfriend who lives with him uses hers, they are not married - At least if they contacted them they would be ready with the BS!

The documents must be signed IN THE PRESENCE of 2 witnesses, these witnesses must be UK citizens residing in the UK,

they cannot be retirees!!!! and they need to be someone of suitable standing, Doctor, Priest, Lawyer that kind of thing.

A suitable witness does not need to personally know you do they?

You could go to a police station show suitable ID & have them witness your signature yes?

Or any upstanding individual. Do you folks have the equivalent of a Notary there in the UK?

• Like 1

The documents must be signed IN THE PRESENCE of 2 witnesses, these witnesses must be UK citizens residing in the UK,

they cannot be retirees!!!! and they need to be someone of suitable standing, Doctor, Priest, Lawyer that kind of thing.

A suitable witness does not need to personally know you do they?

You could go to a police station show suitable ID & have them witness your signature yes?

Or any upstanding individual. Do you folks have the equivalent of a Notary there in the UK?

I read that about the US, it may be the same in the UK, I need to look into it in more detail -(You guys in the US can get almost anyone as far as I understand to act as a "notiary" - I don't think this is the same as a "witness" and some states will not accept notiaries for certain documents.but when you ring these people from Thailand (costing a fortune) all you get is the usual "jobsworth" they told me they didn't even have an e mail address to contact them, sadly for them, I managed to find not only the company information e mail address, but also their CEO's e mail and their Financial CO's e mail - THANK YOU GOOGLE! So I won't be booking a ticket to the UK just yet.

Edited by Briandajew

Not sure whereabouts you are in Thailand but, since they are only witness signatures you are looking for, it shouldn't be too difficult to find people in a local bar who could do this.

I have had to do the a couple of times in the last year for Prudential and had a guy from the UK who was here on holiday sign it for me who I vaguely knew. I have also given a witness signature for someone else as I still have a UK address so, if you are anywhere near Pattaya, I would have no problem signing this for you.

For the documents I had to sign and have witnessed I had the insurance company email me the documents over and, after signing, mailed them back to them with no problems.

• Like 2

Hint: They don't check out the people who countersign.

or alternatively should be plenty of UK citizens who are teachers around to sign for you.

Some do, inc checking their details on the electorial register.

But many people now elect not to appear on the electoral roll, it is everyones right not to be on it if they wish so today its not much of a check.

Not sure whereabouts you are in Thailand but, since they are only witness signatures you are looking for, it shouldn't be too difficult to find people in a local bar who could do this.

I have had to do the a couple of times in the last year for Prudential and had a guy from the UK who was here on holiday sign it for me who I vaguely knew. I have also given a witness signature for someone else as I still have a UK address so, if you are anywhere near Pattaya, I would have no problem signing this for you.

For the documents I had to sign and have witnessed I had the insurance company email me the documents over and, after signing, mailed them back to them with no problems.

I am in Chiang Mai -

Thank you, you are a true Gent! I am trying at the moment to shame a few of the Friends Life people into a sensible conclusion - thank you for your advice and you offer! I may take you up on it - What are your RATES? I cannot see what the dam_n problem is - it isn't like it is going into someone elses bank or that I am asking for cash - I have paid these bastards for 20 years and never missed a single payment!

I never jumped on the bandwagon as a lot of my mates did trying to claim (and got paid) compensation for mis selling of policies!

Jesus, the fact that I was out of the country for the past 12 years or so completely "Voided" my life insurance on the dam_n policy anyway - they would not have had to pay out a single penny!

Edited by Briandajew

Thanks there everyone, some good suggestions, I'll let you know, but a flight back to the UK is the last thing I want at the minute, Christmas is almost here, new year everywhere on holiday, then my extension of stay is due around the same time as the policy is due.

try joining the UK electoral register ,

worth every penny .

wai2.gif

Edited by elliss

I read that about the US, it may be the same in the UK, I need to look into it in more detail -(You guys in the US can get almost anyone as far as I understand to act as a "notiary" - I don't think this is the same as a "witness" and some states will not accept notiaries for certain documents.

Actually a Notary in the US is a person licensed just for these purposes.

They are called Notary Publics

The US consulates here in Thailand also provide Notarial services.

This link actually lists the types for both US & UK too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notary_public

• Like 1

...snip

- What are your RATES?

....snip

Rates??? I wasn't looking to profit from it.

Pm me if you want to take me up on it but i would be surprised if there is nobody there in CM who can help you out given that there are not really any legal consequences for witnessing a signature.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

...snip

- What are your RATES?

....snip

Rates??? I wasn't looking to profit from it.

Pm me if you want to take me up on it but i would be surprised if there is nobody there in CM who can help you out given that there are not really any legal consequences for witnessing a signature.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

I knew you weren't looking for money, I was only joking! If I get no where with these lot I may call you - thanks again for your offer! If ever I can return the favour don't hesitate!

I tend to agree with you about the notiary thing - no big deal - all the consequences if it were fraud would fall on me - it is just the "Jobs worth" attitude of these people on the help lines, they only read a script - and the script only comes from the management!

Edited by Briandajew

try joining the UK electoral register ,

worth every penny .

wai2.gif

And what exactly would that do? Apart from give me the right to vote for a bunch of idiots and a possible summons for Jury Duty?

When you say your mother has authority over your bank business, do you mean she has power of attorney? If so, the your problem is solved. (on the other hand, sorry if I misinterpreted what you are saying).

To echo others' advice on this matter. We had to get a UK "authority" signature for our baby's passport and they confirmed that our "Pu Yai Ban" could sign, even though they stipulate UK citizen on the form. Worth checking their contingency plans. Good luck.

• Like 1

But dont they need to be persons of "suitable standing" ?....not a common trait among Thailands "English teachers" me thinks unless being mama noodle eating p*sshead qualifies you for this these days...biggrin.png

• Like 1

I can understand the OP's frustration and the stuoid regulations some companies give.

I recently had a form form sent to me to complete regarding my Army pension. This supposedly is sent every couple of years so that they can see that I am still alive.

I had to get a Serving Officer of HM forces, a priest etc that has known me for 10 years. That was nigh impossible as I have been here for 7 years. I called them up explaining my position. They said I can get my bank manager to sign even though I explained that I have only been with my current bank for 2 years and I that I am sure that the manager has no idea who I am plus of course the signature would be in Thai. Seemed stupid to me. But accepted. I could have also gone to the British Embassy but that would have meant 2,000B in fuel and the whole day travelling plus I expect another 2,000B for a signature and official stamp.

• Like 1

You should be able to find a financial advisor in Thailand (leave the negative comments out pls) who is a certified signatory with Friends Provident in both the UK and the Isle of Man. They will be able to certify the documents and be a witness which should cover all of your bases.

Some do charge for the sevice and others will do as a gesture.

I am sure there will be one in Chiang Mai who can assist you. PM me if you need any assistance with contacts.

• Like 1

Well, good news all round in the end - I found the e mail address of the CEO a few days ago and stated my case, withing about 4 hours I received a reply from a Technical Customer Support Director, who was very polite and told me that they were looking into things, they sent a copy of their complaints procedure, a direct dial contact and e mail address.

Today, the lady who sent the reply e mail has responded (3 days and not 4 weeks as per their procedure) simply asking me to fill in and confirm my bank details to accept payment directly into the account that I have been using as direct debit to pay them their monthly fee for the past 20 years! Hurray for common sense, and I must admit - hats off to them for such a quick and sensible response - I am over the moon and am in the process of ordering a WACOM INTUOS 5 TOUCH Graphics tablet to celebrate, sadly, my wife will be getting a lucky bag this Christmas!

• Like 2