Geminids Meteor Shower: Where To View?

phuketsub

My wife has informed me that there will be the Geminids Meteor Shower tomorrow night and that the whole family should all get up in the middle of the night to view it.

This begs the question: where in or around Phuket Town (I live in Rassada) is the best place to do so? I like the idea of Khao Toh Seh Point 7, but fear too much light from Phuket Town below. Are there any dark patches left out on Koh Sireh?

Any advise appreciated...

There might be also another meteor shower at the same time.

http://earthsky.org/space/new-meteor-shower-might-coincide-with-2012-geminids

Debris left behind by Comet Wirtanen might produce 30 meteors per hour, added to 100 meteors per hour from the Geminids. That would be an awesome meteor show!

On top of this we have an asteroid passing by our little rock at this moment.

http://phys.org/news/2012-12-student-team-real-time-video-asteroid.html

There might be also another meteor shower at the same time.

http://earthsky.org/...h-2012-geminids

Debris left behind by Comet Wirtanen might produce 30 meteors per hour, added to 100 meteors per hour from the Geminids. That would be an awesome meteor show!

On top of this we have an asteroid passing by our little rock at this moment.

http://phys.org/news...o-asteroid.html

Thanks...not sure I want to venture to such a remote destination as Radar Hill; let's not forget I couldn't even get to the TV party sober without putting my car in a drainage ditch!

anyway, I am gonna monitor the weather before doing anything first...I am thinking Monkey Beach out at Sireh might be the right spot for us

Thanks...not sure I want to venture to such a remote destination as Radar Hill; let's not forget I couldn't even get to the TV party sober without putting my car in a drainage ditch!

anyway, I am gonna monitor the weather before doing anything first...I am thinking Monkey Beach out at Sireh might be the right spot for us

Newsflash: Phuket expat missing in the jungles.. smile.png

Hopefully the weather will get better than what we have now.

Would like to see this

Perseid-Meteor-Shower.jpg

Instead of this..

post-58566-0-57430000-1355312874_thumb.j

We had the same few hours ago here at Ao Por. But right now I can see plenty of stars in clear eastern sky. Interesting as I could also see some lights coming lightning at the same time from an distance.

I think the constellation of Orion was there as well. Had to google it and noticed that Betelgeuse is one part of it. That's one huge star.

Should be ok at most of the time. Preferred at the midnight towards to the morning. I would look to the east (towards where the sun rises).

The 2012 Geminid meteor shower will peak on the nights of December 13/14 and 14/15, with the nod being given to the former. Meteor numbers intensify as evening deepens into late night. The greatest numbers fall an hour or two after midnight (December 14 and 15) – when the meteor shower radiant point looms highest in the sky – as seen from around the globe. But you might see a Geminid meteor any time this week. That’s because it takes some weeks for Earth to ford this meteor stream in space.

In 2012, the new moon falls on December 13, guaranteeing dark nights for this year’s Geminid meteor shower. It doesn’t get much better than this for watching a major meteor shower! As a general rule, it’s either the August Perseids or the December Geminids that gives us the best meteor shower of the year.

Even from a mildly light-polluted town, you may see some meteors! Best direction to look? Like all meteors in annual showers, the meteors will appear in all parts of the sky. Find an open sky and – if possible – a sky sheltered from artificial lighting.

You’ll find EarthSky’s top 10 tips for watching this shower below.

More information http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/ten-tips-for-watching-the-geminid-meteor-shower

QUOTE:

The shower of meteors will appear to come from the direction of the constellation Gemini, giving the phenomenon its name – the Geminid Shower. At 8 pm tonight, Gemini will appear in the northeast of the night sky.

The website of the National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand (NARIT) explained that shooting stars should be visible from about 8 pm tonight until the early hours of tomorrow morning, at at rate as high as 120 an hour, visible with the naked eye. They will be most visible from midnight until 5am tomorrow.

Unlike other meteor showers, which come from comets passing through the solar system, the Geminids originate from an object called 3200 Phaethon, thought to be a Palladian asteroid. The object is on an elliptical orbit that brings it close to the earth once a year, in December.

NARIT advises people hoping to take pictures of the meteors to use a wide-angle lens, with the camera set on ISO 1600, with continuous shooting.