Labor Department Info?

In a huge blow to my ego, well, my pocketbook too, for all that matter, I have been released without cause by my company. Happened suddenly, though at some point I would probably have quit anyway.

In either event, the Thai twatess that holds the ear of the owener got the better of me in the situation.

I've been there for more than a 18 months, and if I understand Thai labor law correctly, or I should say, if my lawyer playing friends do, I am owed maybe as much as four months wages, since they did it without notice.

They attempted to get me to take Feb's salary only and sign a piece of paper. I poltely declined for the moment.

I guess I need to bascially let the labor department sort it ouit for all of us. Curious what the procedure is, where I go, call etc...

Thanks for any information.

Burrito

Well for starters, if they cancel your work permit (they probably have already) then you have I believe either 7 or 10 days to leave the country.

Also if you are not Thai I wouldnt even bother trying to get 4 months pay from them, I would have just taken Febs pay myself and left on friendly terms.

Well, for one thing, I hear the Thai labor department is a pretty straight up place, be your Thai or not.

Also, nothing friendly about taking money from my pocet that would go to help my family, so I'm not in a particularly friendly mood about it.

Regarding leaving the country immediately, that is as simple as a plane ride, but thanks for the reminder.

Burrito

You are entitled to 90 days wages plus notice (1 month + eventual remaining days of the month, you got the kick).

I don't think it is a case for the Labour Department if your employer doesn't pay. According to my bible: "Doyle's Practical Guide to Thailand Business Law" the normal procedure would be to contact a lawyer, that would start by writing a demand letter. If things are not settled, the lawyer will file a claim against the employer in the Labor Court.

Just an input from an amateur.