Two British Men Survive Plane Crash: Bangkok

webfact

I would guess the reports of him coming in like a wave would indicate he had no power but maybe somebody could provide more info on when and why a pilot might do this. Not being a pilot I am guessing it is either to reduce speed and/or to increase distance/time in the air..

Edited by Nisa

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would guess the reports of him coming in like a wave would indicate he had no power but maybe somebody could provide more info on when and why a pilot might do this. Not being a pilot I am guessing it is either to reduce speed and/or to increase distance/time in the air..

Most likely coming in just above stall speed, to make sure forward speed is as low as possible during the landing.

Having no power you control your speed only through nose up/down control, so frequent adjustments can look like a bit of a wallowing flight pattern...

The DA-42 would be capable of level flight and even decent climb on just one engine, when only 2 persons on board.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Fuel exhaustion would imply empty tanks; starvation could be caused by electronic or mechanical failure, e.g. fuel pump, broken line, carb, injector etc.

You seem to have changed your interest in this matter from one of concern about the individuals involved, to technical matters.

It seems odd, in relation to your initial post.

It almost certainly will be a technical matter, but all I meant was, at this stage, only the pilot and maybe his passenger know what may have caused both engines to fail and the forced landing procedure. At some point, there will be more information, including the circumstances leading up to the incident. Right now, as is normal on TV, there's always speculation (including mine). They were both very fortunate to walk away from it. It's too soon to say whether it was more luck than pluck.

Edited by laobali

One is sure, the little tires not good for landing in a paddy field. And it was very interesting, to follow the discussion about exhaustion, and starvation. Hope your fuel is not exhaustet, or maybe you can not open your refrigerator, then you have a starvation...cheesy.gif

Fuel exhaustion would imply empty tanks; starvation could be caused by electronic or mechanical failure, e.g. fuel pump, broken line, carb, injector etc.

You seem to have changed your interest in this matter from one of concern about the individuals involved, to technical matters.

It seems odd, in relation to your initial post.

It almost certainly will be a technical matter, but all I meant was, at this stage, only the pilot and maybe his passenger know what may have caused both engines to fail and the forced landing procedure. At some point, there will be more information, including the circumstances leading up to the incident. Right now, as is normal on TV, there's always speculation (including mine). They were both very fortunate to walk away from it. It's too soon to say whether it was more luck than pluck.

the airplane was recently restored because of waterdamage (pilots error)

yes it was a 1 milj $ airplane (2 diesel engines)

Pilot "forgot" to fill up the tanks........had to ditch the plane .

Thats all

the airplane was recently restored because of waterdamage (pilots error)

yes it was a 1 milj $ airplane (2 diesel engines)

Pilot "forgot" to fill up the tanks........had to ditch the plane .

Thats all

Quite possibly. It seems fuel-related, but several possible causes. Maybe pilot error, maybe not. Insufficient fuel for the flight due to miscalculation or error by the pilot or fuel attendant; failure to check tanks manually before takeoff, usually by dipstick (I don't know this aircraft); mechanical or electrical failure; tank selection, fuel transfer, contamination etc.

No lives lost, little if any third party damage and the pilot was the owner of the aircraft. Hardly worth an inquisition, but at 77 maybe he should think about hanging up his goggles.

Wifey told me this plane barely scraped over our village before 'landing' in the paddy, clipped a palm tree on the way down.

Glad both on board got out in one piece, but I too wonder why he had the gear down for a paddy landing, wheels-up could even have avoided a write off.

Wifey told me this plane barely scraped over our village before 'landing' in the paddy, clipped a palm tree on the way down.

Glad both on board got out in one piece, but I too wonder why he had the gear down for a paddy landing, wheels-up could even have avoided a write off.

It's a tough call but I doubt it would have avoided a total loss anyway. I put a ballistic recovery chute on my trike because IMO even touching down at 35 knots and hitting one of those foot-high berms in the paddy field would be a huge impact, but one I would be happy for the gear to absorb instead of the fuselage.

Indeed, who knows? None of us commenting so far have much to go on. Where were they when the first engine quit (or did both fail almost simultaneously) and at what altitude? The old pilot may have had a lot of experience, but his reaction time and decision-making in an emergency may have deteriorated over the years. It's an interesting topic, so let's hope someone can enlighten those of us keeping tabs on this.