Dtac Plans 50% 3G Coverage On New Network A Year Ahead Of Deadline: Thailand

webfact

DTAC

DTAC plans 50% 3G coverage on new network a year ahead of deadline

Sirivish Toomgum

The Nation

BANGKOK: --Total Access Communication (DTAC) says it will be ready to set up its 2.1-gigahertz network soon, totalling about 6,500 sites nationwide next year, which will be able to provide third-generation cellular service to 50 per cent of the population.

Chief executive officer Jon Eddy Abdullah said yesterday that DTAC was confident of establishing a network sufficient to cover half the Kingdom's population one year ahead of the obligatory time frame set by the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission.

The NBTC obliges all three 2.1GHz licence holders, DTAC Network, Advanced Wireless Network and Real Future, to provide 3G coverage to 50 per cent of the population within the first two years of obtaining the licences, and 80 per cent within four years.

The licences were officially granted on December 11, valid for 15 years and expiring on December 6, 2027.

DTAC is not under any pressure to launch the service in too big a hurry but will ensure service quality first, Abdullah added. It is expected to introduce the 3G-2.1GHz service in the second quarter of next year.

Abdullah expects that half of DTAC's more than 23 million mobile-phone subscribers will move to DTAC Network's 2.1GHz service within a year of the network going online.

According to a recent filing to the Stock Exchange of Thailand, DTAC expects capital expenditure of about Bt25 billion for the 3G-2.1GHz network during the first three years.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-21

Chief executive officer Jon Eddy Abdullah said yesterday that DTAC was confident of establishing a network sufficient to cover half the Kingdom's population one year ahead of the obligatory time frame set by the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission.

Motivation to do this: higher profits.

Why now the Ability to do this: with a 2.1GHz license now in hand there should be much less govt bureaucracy to bottleneck and impact plans (but still wise to watch-out for CAT, TOT, and other monkey wrench throwers).

Here in the U.S. they mostly have G3 and G4 isn't even on the drawing boards yet. My cell phone only get G3, but it's also equiped to handle G4 but only gets a G3 signal.

You sure about that? Verizon and AT&T have been advertising 4G for over a year now.

DTAC was using non-standard frequency of 850 MHz which many phone models do not even support. The current change is that they are moving to the standard frequency of 2100 MHz

I don't understand. I already have 3G and even HSPA on my phone. What is this they're introducing now?

i also have H and 3g for a long time already.

I use a DTAC usb internet stick and when they first switched on the 3.5G service in Rayong a year ago it was fantastic, getting speeds up to 7.2mbps. The service then dropped off and was getting below 1mbps but now it's good but nowhere near what it was like when they first switched on the 3.5G service. I will also say it is way better than TOT, go into their office and complain that your internet connection isn't working and all they say is 'don't pay us then', lol.

As I understand in simple form;

3G or 4G is only about transmission technologies and efficiency of having the radio frequencies.

The higher the frequency, the more efficient and higher bandwidth but at the price of coverage, as lower frequencies have better penetration and wider coverage without more antenna masts.

Before this action, every telcos operate in concessions from either CAT or ToT, so they have to pay for each users.

From onwards, they own the concessions themselves for 15 years from Dec 11, 2012.

My 2satang worth. ....

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect App

DTAC's recent network upgrades, installed not without major outages, is going to pay off.

giggle.gif Why not bring in 4G into the New Year and Really Screw up the works..

Well, in theory DTAC has 5+ years left on their 1800 MHz GSM concession so they could migrate some (off-load) customers to 2100MHz and re-farm 1800 to LTE (Band 3), marketing that to higher-end post-paid customers with iPhone 5 (A1429) models and other high-end LTE hand-sets. wink.png

It will be interesting to see how 2100 MHz gets marketed and branded, perhaps as a separate and distinct service, and if so, what the phone numbers will be (091?), and if we will be required to port-out/port-in (Ugh), and how roaming might work.

From onwards, they own the concessions themselves for 15 years from Dec 11, 2012.

Not exactly, the three major service providers maintain their existing concessions, which end over the next 1 to 6 years, and pick up new licenses for 2100 MHz. With concessions they have to pay a % of revenue to the concession holder (CAT or TOT), with licenses they pay for the license in several ( 2 or 3 ) separate payments over the term of 15 years.

Edited by lomatopo

DTAC was using non-standard frequency of 850 MHz which many phone models do not even support. The current change is that they are moving to the standard frequency of 2100 MHz

I don't understand. I already have 3G and even HSPA on my phone. What is this they're introducing now?

i also have H and 3g for a long time already.

That's because they have been running 3G for the last 5 years without the license! Get it!

DTAC plans 50% 3G coverage on new network a year ahead of deadline

Whilst that's good news and somewhat commendable,.. its still about 2 years behind the rest of the world that are now rolling out 4G and preparing for 5G!

What is 5G? I don't think they even have a complete standard for 4G yet.