Thai Lanna Home

Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge about Thai Lanna Home? They build teakwood houses and are based in northern Thailand but seem to have projects around the country and abroad too. If anyone has done business with this company, I'd appreciate hearing any comments -- Thanks!

Havnt had any dealings with them but I have seen their site before. Nice looking places The prices they demand is fine if you have excess cash to get rid off. Im putting 2 metres of lanna on the front of our house and found a local lanna guy with much much cheaper prices compared to Thai lanna home. Id say look locally first.

Currently using them. Found so far that they are a straight forward company to deal with. We visited their factory in Phrae ( believe also offices in CM .) Also took references up and visited homes around Thailand. They do alot of work for Thai people too. Their builders are good and come as teams on site. Stayed away from using local builders as heard too many horror stories. Prices were OK for me. But guess everyone different on that respect. Their contract is straight forward and pay up front for each stage to be completed. Sure many other good national builders around. Would suggest you visit them, take up references etc and compare with other companies.

• Like 1

Hi.

Just had a look at a look at their website. I'm more a fan of the Ayyuthaya style personally, of which they show one. The prices look reasonable i'd say, certainly not excessive.

My experience is i looked into traditional Thai houses about five years ago. The style i like is the central (ayyuthaya) design and i went around Ang Thong near Ayyuthaya which was traditionally a centre for this type of construction. It's quite small scale now as most Thai's have moved to western designs. The place i found acquired old buildings when when locals built brick houses on the same land. It basically made new panels and you could use second hand parts to lower the prices. It was around 1.5-2 MB five years ago for a single structure (probably big enough for 1 bedroom,lounge area, kitchen and bathroom. Maybe 2 bedrooms at a tight squeeze). Verandahs, spirit houses etc were all extra and this was the price using some used parts. It was predominantly teak but not all of it. This was in a small, out of the way local workshop. Therefore, i would be surprised if this company could sell these buildings at these prices if they are real teak or a high percentage of at least especially considering their more business like approach.

The cost of building materials has increased substantially since the time i looked into this and also to consider is the ethical side of this, if this concerns you, which is that a lot of teak that goes into these panels is illegally logged in Myanmar or on the border and smuggled into Thailand. I would be dubious about believing any company's explanation about the provenance of their wood here.

Real teak to my knowledge is very expensive and it's really just wealthy, cultured Thai's who build and afford these houses, other than pre-existing dwellings. A lot of the houses built in the historical style are not always teak but an alternative hardwood with a stain. Real teak has a stunning rich colour and is incredibly strong and durable - Jim Thompson's house is a good example.

Wood eating insects could possibly destroy what you have bought in a matter of years if it's not durable enough. If you look into other builders/companies, also to remember is the fact that traditional houses are prefabricated so can be made/bought, transported on a lorry and rebuilt anywhere.If you are not already aware of them, i would suggest a look at the book 'The Thai house' which is commonly in Asia books etc for inspiration and "coolthaihouse" on the net. This has details of people who have and are building houses in Thailand and gives food for thought before you start. Although not specific to traditional houses there are some on there.

This is not to put you off, because Thai houses are beautiful and great designs, but to provide awareness of the issues. I hope this is of use to you.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Please do not post unsubstantiated name and shame, as per forum rules:-

6) Not to post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.Defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm. Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as a magazine or newspaper.

Thailand has draconian defamation / libel laws, that your statement is true is no defence, this rule is for your own protection.

Any further posting of this type will net a holiday.

The poster asked about a particular company and I merely wish to relate my experience with said company, entirely substantiated and documented. My intent is not to defame but to provide information about personal experience, which is what a forum should be for. Is there a nonlibelous way to do so? Thank you for your advice.

The poster asked about a particular company and I merely wish to relate my experience with said company, entirely substantiated and documented. My intent is not to defame but to provide information about personal experience, which is what a forum should be for. Is there a nonlibelous way to do so? Thank you for your advice.

Please send the member a PM, thanks