Visa Options

I have a friend here on a 90 day tourist visa. He is wanting to stay longer.

What are his options?

I've done some research and read through some other forums. From what I understand, staying with a tourist visa, he could apply for a 30 day extension or simply do a boarder run and get an additional 2 weeks. Are there other options with a tourist visa?

Can you apply for a student visa while in-country on a tourist visa?

Are there other options?

A tourist visa is good for only 60 days, with a 30 day extension available at 1,900 baht. There is no 90 day tourist visa. If has a multi-entry tourist visa then another 60 days would be available with a border crossing. If no multi then only 2 weeks with a land crossing.

Student visa would not be practical for a tourist.

He is from the States and he is way under 50. He applied for the visa in the US and its definitely for 90 days. I assumed it was a tourist visa. It says non-immigrant visa at the top of it. Category "o" - and it was a single entry. Hopefully this helps clarify.

Hope that helps. Thanks for the replies and Merry Christmas

On what basis did he get the non-o? Visit family and etc.

Unless he has a Thai wife or child (60 days) he has no option for getting any more than a 7 day extension at immigration.

A border run would give him 15 days more or a trip out for a new visa if he wants to stay a lot longer.

Edited by ubonjoe

He has a non-immigrant visa, not a tourist visa, hece the 90 days.

It cannot be extended, unless he has a Thai wife or child. His best option is to travel to Laos and obtain a (double entry) tourist visa, good for 60 days and can be extended by another 30 days. (With a double he can do ravel two times to Thailand and each time extend his stay with 30 days).

• 1 month later...

Vientiane is a good location because you can get a 2 entry tourist visa there.. You can fly domestic to Udon Thani and take a mini bus to the bridge in Nong Kai. Nok Air fly's from Chiang Mai to Udon.

Savannakhet Laos is anther location which is across the river from Mukdahan which also give 2 entry visas. Nok Air from Bangkok has fly and bus schedule to Mukdahan.

KL or Penang Malaysia are fly in locations for a single entry visa only.

Only Phenom Phen Cambodia has an embassy and it takes 4 days to get the visa.