Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anybody want to explain for us ordinary mortals?

If you have 4 of these (round turbo props) near you in an aircraft with essentially no sound proofing, you step off the plane with a buzz in the ears and your body still feels the vibration for some time. biggrin.png

post-566-0-83032800-1374194364_thumb.jpg

x829891-hercules-trip.jpg.pagespeed.ic.a

Significance: ? I see a stripper in the cockpit with her ass compressed against the skippers front window. prove me wrong xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.JwCxzAWj6x.png

One would think that it must be a blo0dy fast shutter for this pic, to freeze the props, but far from it. These have about 4500 SHP, impressive I feel, (about a 5000 HP Donks X by 4 of em). ...

.... Prob only , 2000 RPM on TKOF and 1200RPM - 1600RPM in cruise. I am only guessing, they may even be slower, actually, the crew will prob never know unless they hit the text books,

Stripper??? It doesn't look like an Air France flight!! whistling.gif<<Spud gets lost in thought and starts googling..>>

Nice explanation on the prop speeds. I noticed those same results a few years ago when snapping some pics of an Elektra. I was surprised and was constantly checking my shutter speed.

anybody want to explain for us ordinary mortals?

If you have 4 of these (round turbo props) near you in an aircraft with essentially no sound proofing, you step off the plane with a buzz in the ears and your body still feels the vibration for some time. xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.XhpYJIv77v.png alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20>

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.gCapture.JPG

Turbo props can suck for vibrations of course, but "round" normally refers to loud vibrating radial piston engines though.

The issue is the vibration from the props, and them being out of sync that is the main issue, of course they have auto sync, but having 4 of the buggers, I am told it is virtually impossible to sink the 4 of them, (as well as 4500HP Donks). I am told the Hercs are brutal for this.

A turbo prob is just a turbine, same as a modern "jet". They don't vibrate. With some compressors running at about 45,000 RPM you would not want them too !!!

Even small turbo props can be brutal, like the Metro who has those bloody Garrets. The engines are ok, but they run at very high RPM, an just change the pitch of the prop. By memory, the engines run at "flight IDLE" at 98% often when just on the ground !! But they are light, cheap, hardy and relatively simple direct shaft, donks.

Note, PT6 engines, that are very common, Idle around 50% (Think Cessna Caravan to Dash-8 Q400's and most modern planes between)

Piston engines, and notably the big radials vibrate massively, the actual engine it self shakes and rattles. Some say they vibrate the air into submission smile.png

Radial Donk Below.

radial-engine.jpg

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Yep, misunderstood what the sound of round meant. Didn't equate it to radial engines until CLB mentioned it.

Funny page below. biggrin.png

A turbine is too simple minded, it has no mystery. The air travels through it in a straight line and doesn't pick up any of the pungent fragrance of engine oil or pilot sweat.

Anybody can start a turbine. You just need to move a switch from "OFF" to "START" and then remember to move it back to "ON" after a while. My PC is harder to start.

Cranking a round engine requires skill, finesse and style. You have to seduce it into starting. It's like waking up a horny mistress. On some planes, the pilots aren't even allowed to do it.

Turbines start by whining for a while, then give a ladylike poof and start whining a little louder.

Round engines give a satisfying rattle-rattle, click-click, BANG, more rattles, another BANG, a big macho FART or two, more clicks, a lot more smoke and finally a serious low pitched roar. We like that. It's a GUY thing.

More here

Interesting site here - Airplane Sounds

Even small turbo props can be brutal, like the Metro who has those bloody Garrets. The engines are ok, but they run at very high RPM, an just change the pitch of the prop. By memory, the engines run at "flight IDLE" at 98% often when just on the ground !! But they are light, cheap, hardy and relatively simple direct shaft, donks.

TPE331, ground idle (starting and ground taxi) ~70%, flight idle 98%. full power 100%.

noisy <> things. my mates like them though cause they are also more responsive than the PT6, they call the PT6 Push&Waits.

Really loving all the stuff about Hercs and radial engines.

Was quite chuffed to see the photo of the C-130 over Sydney, and it made me remember an old photo which I have now managed to find.

This is a very much younger SVB photographed out of the rear cargo ramp of a 37 Squadron C-130 over Circular Quay (Sydney) in early 1999. The Sydney Harbour Bridge is directly under us. One of the reasons for the big smile on my face - it was my birthday. Cannot get a much better birthday than that...

Bugger. Cannot attach files "upload is not allowed"

post-136-0-91045100-1374221983_thumb.jpg

A turbine is too simple minded, it has no mystery. The air travels through it in a straight line and doesn't pick up any of the pungent fragrance of engine oil or pilot sweat.

Anybody can start a turbine. You just need to move a switch from "OFF" to "START" and then remember to move it back to "ON" after a while. My PC is harder to start.

Cranking a round engine requires skill, finesse and style. You have to seduce it into starting. It's like waking up a horny mistress. On some planes, the pilots aren't even allowed to do it.

Turbines start by whining for a while, then give a ladylike poof and start whining a little louder.

Round engines give a satisfying rattle-rattle, click-click, BANG, more rattles, another BANG, a big macho FART or two, more clicks, a lot more smoke and finally a serious low pitched roar. We like that. It's a GUY thing.

That is a seriously lovely post ... the romance ... or bromance of flying ... I salute the author ... wai.gif

Thanks for sharing Tywais ... thumbsup.gif

EDITED to add the closing quote ... "Turbines smell like a Boy Scout camp full of Coleman Lamps. Round engines smell like God intended machines to smell."

Edited by David48

Seems to be sorted now. See my post above for details

attachicon.gif1992RAAF-37SQN.jpg

C-130 over the coathanger, circa 1992

Argh, back in the day when you had hair !!! thumbsup.gif

biggrin.png Mate I still have plenty of hair. Its just that since I hit 40 it seems to want to grow rapidly and weirdly out of every orifice except on top of my scone!

This is an interesting Thai website in English Lingo.

Here is a link to a really bizarre post, with many pics, I have no idea if this is in Thailand or not, but, non the less a great intro to this site.

http://thailandaviation.blogspot.com/2010/10/abandoned-soviet-aircraft-with-bba-14.html

Abandoned-Soviet-Aircraft-BBA-14-Airplan

PS, the link is above, don't even bother trying to guess it !!!

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

This is 100% in Thailand.

What is its significance?

This is a guess - spotting one ! Fire Away Gentlemen thumbsup.gif

Maybe I am a whack job, but if every politician learnt to jump (not a tandem) the world would be a much better place, but most jumpers I know are extremely safety conscious individuals. (Of course there are some real nutters as well that are down right frig-gen nuts). If I was filthy rich, I would glide and jump every week.

_41307698_skydiving416ap.jpg

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Spud67 : I know it is not Thailand, but you see interesting stuff every week at Iqaluit Airport which is behind a frozen "Tin Buck Toooo", (sometimes).

What is common for you now, would be bizarre for many people reading this, post away thumbsup.gif

Even if not guessing kid of thing, just worried stuff that comes and goes.

I have some great pics in Inuvik, at "The Trapper" !!!!! Obviously can not post here !!!!! giggle.gif

Do you have a window at work??

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

This is 100% in Thailand.

What is its significance?

This is a guess - spotting one ! Fire Away Gentlemen thumbsup.gif

Maybe I am a whack job, but if every politician learnt to jump (not a tandem) the world would be a much better place, but most jumpers I know are extremely safety conscious individuals. (Of course there are some real nutters as well that are down right frig-gen nuts). If I was filthy rich, I would glide and jump every week.

_41307698_skydiving416ap.jpg

Hi,

Cool pic, but even if someone offered me a million dollars to do so, I could never jump out of an aircraft. Granted it must be some buzz, but not for me.

This is an interesting Thai website in English Lingo.

Here is a link to a really bizarre post, with many pics, I have no idea if this is in Thailand or not, but, non the less a great intro to this site.

http://thailandaviation.blogspot.com/2010/10/abandoned-soviet-aircraft-with-bba-14.html

Abandoned-Soviet-Aircraft-BBA-14-Airplan

PS, the link is above, don't even bother trying to guess it !!!

Saw something similar in Ann Summers !

CLB, thanks for the comments. Just after my last post of planes, I realized that my posts have had nothing to do with Thailand. I've seen other topics on TV closed or re-tracked for that. So I'll try to make up for it when I visit in September by getting some pics on the ground or in the air.

I do have a window, 360 view in fact. While the territory is planning a new terminal, we will stay put in our current digs.

BTW, has anyone had experience visiting airport towers in Thailand? I'm interested from a professional curiosity point of view. I probably wouldn't bother trying to get into the busier Bangkok towers but if I make it to CM or UT, it would be cool to try.