Consumer Advertising And Thailand - The Wild West

thaigene2

Yes..it's snake-oil time members! Step right up. I've posted this in another column (in a response) but think this needs its own topic..hope that's okay.

Why don't the 'quality' papers in Thailand (Bangkok Post, Nation, Matichon) investigate the multitude of idiotic consumer scams and rip-off's going on in Thailand?

The only ones I can think of in the last year or two that were actually reported were the diet pill and skin creme controversy -- and these only received the attention of the mass media because the Govt issued health warnings (amazing in itself).

I know the papers are full of reports on allegations of corruption..but forget that for a minute..

Where are the newspaper and TV consumer reports into things like:

1. Powerded milk rots your baby's teeth, and real cow's milk is healthier?

2. Mother's milk is better for your infant than formula and the act of breast-feeding will help mum return to shape faster

3. Why does King Power have a monopoly for Duty Free, and why did it just get ANOTHER monopoly for the new airport?

4. Skin creme will not make your skin whiter..it's BS.

5. Strapping an electric belt around your waist will not make you lose weight

6. Amway is a pyramid scheme where the person who sells to you tries to get you to sell for them. Giffarin same-same, chai mai krup?

7. Central Group seems to have a stranglehold on retail chains (except for Emporium group)..and the prices are exactly the same in all their differently named stores - e.g., Robinson, Tops (their only competitor seems to be Tesco). Isn't that called price fixing?

8. Despite all the news reports about deep discounts after the tsunami..there weren't any really. And the old trick of pushing up prices to gouge those who went to Phuket to make up for the short-fall was well underway last time I checked.

9. Buying property and condos here (esp condos) is a huge rip-off. Where are the consumer reports into the inflated prices of the Thai property market? You won't see any until it crashes.

10. Why not a regular consumer's thread on Thaivisa to kick things off?

The only way to shown your dissatisfaction of any products, is to lurk the media’s people out, that’s it to play and throw tantrum in front of large crowd and make your complains loud. :D This is how the Thai complained reach out. :o Complain to Consumer Protection Association will not give you much help. :D

What's needed here is a Thai version of Ester Ranson

Heaven forbid...

But no you are right, and while I distest the woman it is undoubted that her consumer rights campaign had a huge impact on improving Consumer Expecation - I'll take my hat of to her for her work in promoting awareness of Child Abuse and forcing the topic into the public areana.....

So, I agree we Thailand could do with someone like her...

However, I can see it now, turning up at the office of som Thai business shark to highlight his illegal goings on..... She'd be shot within a month.