Surfer Fights Off Shark Attack Off Australia's East Coast, Loses Finger

News_Editor

Surfer fights off shark attack off Australia's east coast, loses finger

2012-12-30 09:25:29 GMT+7 (ICT)

PORT MACQUARIE, AUSTRALIA (BNO NEWS) -- A surfer fought off an attack by a suspected bull shark off Australia's east coast on Friday but lost a finger in the process and suffered a serious bite to the thigh, paramedics said on Saturday. It follows a fatal attack in Western Australia in July.

Michelle Hoctor, a spokeswoman for the Ambulance Service of New South Wales (NSW), said it responded to Diamond Head near Port Macquarie, a city on the Mid North Coast of New South Wales, after receiving a 000 emergency call at approximately 10:45 a.m. local time on Friday.

Officials said the 29-year-old victim was surfing near a beach along an unpatrolled location between Port Macquarie and Crowdy Head when the shark bit him on the thigh. "He also sustained injuries to his hand trying to force the shark away," a Surf Life Saving NSW spokesperson said.

Hoctor said paramedics found the man with multiple shark bites to his right hand and right thigh. "The man lost his index finger and knuckle as a result of the attack," she said. "He was given pain relief and fluids at the scene, and taken to John Hunter Hospital in a serious but stable condition."

Friday's incident came after a 24-year-old surfer was killed in a savage shark attack off Western Australia in July, but Surf Life Saving NSW Lifesaving Manager Dean Storey reiterated the risk of shark attacks or encounters are very low and that people are at a far greater risk of drowning.

"Holiday-makers who are concerned about sharks should stick to swimming at patrolled locations. That way lifesavers and lifeguards can clear the water in the event of a shark sighting and first aid support and equipment is immediately available," Storey said. He pointed out that five people drowned in NSW this month alone.

According to statistics released in February by the International Shark Attack File (ISAF) at the University of Florida, sharks killed at least 12 people worldwide last year, making it the highest number in nearly two decades. Surfers were the most affected group, accounting for about 60 percent of unprovoked attacks.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-12-30

Probably not related to the Asian fishermen/butchers who slice off tens of thousands of shark fins annually, and let sharks slowly die.

But if sharks had a twitter network, it would make for food-for-thought.

• Like 2

Perth has a problem in the form of a roque man eater that has gotten multiple victims in last year or so. Bull sharks a bit easier to fend off than the big white patrolling waters in Perth area.

Ridiculous post. Complete nonsense.

<deleted>? There has been five killed in Perth area this year and most attribute it to the same shark. I have surfed all my life, turned pro at 16, and still big wave surf, go to and have many friends in Australia. I have seen many whites surfing J-Bay, Supertube, Boneyards, Dungeons and etc. in Sotuh Africa and don't make big deals about sharks. Seen many in waters all over the world and even saw 25 shadow in 90 or 91 off Pauley's Island day after two Russians got attacked and eaten.

In Perth, I recall a swimmer getting munched completely (found only suit) on Rottnest on North side, a swimmer off boat in cove just down the beach on the North side a few weeks later got eaten, a young surfergot killed on south side, and diver got killed a few miles South of Perth and his brother was there and saw shark. I cannot remember 5th, but you can easily look it up.

Perth has a problem in the form of a roque man eater that has gotten multiple victims in last year or so. Bull sharks a bit easier to fend off than the big white patrolling waters in Perth area.

Why is it ridiculous and complete nonsense?

Because it sounds like the plot of "jaws" where one shark preys on helpless swimmers. Usually shark attacks on humans are by the shark mistaking the surfer for a sea lion or other food. Or the shark is just investigating by biting the surfer. Sharks don't turn humans into they're favorite type of prey. Humans compared to sea lions are not real nutritional to sharks. We fit a lot of bone and relatively little blubber

Because it sounds like the plot of "jaws" where one shark preys on helpless swimmers. Usually shark attacks on humans are by the shark mistaking the surfer for a sea lion or other food. Or the shark is just investigating by biting the surfer. Sharks don't turn humans into they're favorite type of prey. Humans compared to sea lions are not real nutritional to sharks. We fit a lot of bone and relatively little blubber

Have you not seen the true story about 5 people on a small boat, the boat sinks leaving the 5 people in the sea, great white stalks them killing all but one!! It's the sharks home if we enter the sea it's down to us and not the sharks fault!!

<deleted>? There has been five killed in Perth area this year and most attribute it to the same shark. I have surfed all my life, turned pro at 16, and still big wave surf, go to and have many friends in Australia. I have seen many whites surfing J-Bay, Supertube, Boneyards, Dungeons and etc. in Sotuh Africa and don't make big deals about sharks. Seen many in waters all over the world and even saw 25 shadow in 90 or 91 off Pauley's Island day after two Russians got attacked and eaten.

In Perth, I recall a swimmer getting munched completely (found only suit) on Rottnest on North side, a swimmer off boat in cove just down the beach on the North side a few weeks later got eaten, a young surfergot killed on south side, and diver got killed a few miles South of Perth and his brother was there and saw shark. I cannot remember 5th, but you can easily look it up.

http://www.australia...ia-timeline.htm

TIMELINE OF RECENT FATAL AUSTRALIAN SHARK ATTACKS:

14 July 2012: Ben Linden, 24, is killed while surfing near Wedge Island, Western Australia, 180km north of Perth. A witness who tried to help said the shark swam away with the body.

31 March 2012: Peter Kurmann, 33, is taken in south-western WA while diving in the Port Geographe Marina. His brother, who was diving with him, tried to fight off the shark with a knife.

22 October, 2011: American tourist George Thomas Wainwright, 32, sustains horrific injuries and dies while scuba diving off Rottnest Island.

10 October, 2011: Bryn Martin, 64, disappears at Cottesloe Beach and is presumed a shark attack victim. Only his damaged Speedos were found.

4 September, 2011: Kyle Burden, 21, is taken by a shark while bodyboarding with friends at Bunker Bay, near Dunsborough, in Western Australia.

17 February 2011: An abalone diver is taken in an attack by two sharks, believed to be great whites, while surfacing near Perforated Island in Coffin Bay, South Australia.

17 August 2010: A 31-year-old man dies from serious injuries after being attacked by a shark while surfing near Gracetown in Western Australia's south-west.

27 December 2008: Fisherman Brian Guest, 51, is taken by a great white while snorkelling at Port Kennedy in Perth's south. His son and beachgoers saw the shark attack and swim off with him in its mouth.

8 April 2008: A 16-year-old boy from Wollongbar is killed by a shark while bodyboarding off Ballina's Lighthouse Beach on the NSW north coast.

7 January 2006: Sarah Kate Whiley, 21, is mauled by up to three bull sharks while swimming in waist-deep water with friends at Amity Point, off south-east Queensland's North Stradbroke Island.

24 August 2005: Marine biologist Jarrod Stehbens, 23, is taken by a shark, believed to be a great white, while diving for cuttlefish eggs with colleagues off Adelaide's Glenelg Beach.

Have you not seen the true story about 5 people on a small boat, the boat sinks leaving the 5 people in the sea, great white stalks them killing all but one!! It's the sharks home if we enter the sea it's down to us and not the sharks fault!!

I have not heard of this story, but I have heard of the USS Indianapolis. If there are people in the water, sharks will attack. Reread my post. My issue is that it is unlikely that ONE shark is hanging out in a particular area hunting human beings. If there are other sharks, yes they'll attack. I can't see how ONE shark is going to develop a particular taste for human flesh that it's going to make humans it's main source of food and commit all these attacks.

There has been five killed in Perth area this year and most attribute it to the same shark.

Because it sounds like the plot of "jaws" where one shark preys on helpless swimmers.

Edited by submaniac

I don't know. People may be getting tastier. The last time I was at a beach in a western country, there were a lot of people that had a fair amount of blubber on them. And sharks are pretty smart, at least I heard they go to school.

Watching too much National Geo though I agree that most attacks are mistaken identity. There have been documented accounts of multiple attacks and kills by same shark though we usually offer excuses for the same or behavior patterns.

I guess we have some human behaviour psychologists that speak shark interviewing these killer sharks after they are caught, but before they die.

Watching too much National Geo though I agree that most attacks are mistaken identity. There have been documented accounts of multiple attacks and kills by same shark though we usually offer excuses for the same or behavior patterns.

I guess we have some human behaviour psychologists that speak shark interviewing these killer sharks after they are caught, but before they die.

Keep out of the sea if you can not accept you might be eaten!!

Perhaps deny roque and save tourism . . . Perhaps research a bit before . . .

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/shark-attack-police-name-victim-20111022-1mdhu.html

"Fears are building that a "rogue shark" is prowling WA's southwest coast as the hunt intensifies for the great white which fatally mauled an American tourist at Rottnest Island on Saturday."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/13103258/life-with-seas-feared-killers/

He believes it is possible one "rogue" shark was involved in the recent deaths, particularly those in metropolitan waters.

Edwards believes this intelligence means a great white shark does not, as is often suggested, mistake humans for their favourite food - seals.

"I'm sure that great white sharks are very intelligent and I'm sure they know all about us," he said.

"They know what we are. When we are taken, it's not a mistake.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/shark-attack-police-name-victim-20111022-1mdhu.html#ixzz2GdiIfhrt

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/shark-attack-in-rotto/story-e6frg13u-1226173885712

"AUTHORITIES issued a catch-to-kill order to destroy a rogue shark just one hour after an American man was mauled to death while diving off Rottnest Island today."

http://www.watoday.c...1022-1mdhu.html

"Fears are building that a "rogue shark" is prowling WA's southwest coast as the hunt intensifies for the great white which fatally mauled an American tourist at Rottnest Island on Saturday."

http://au.news.yahoo...feared-killers/

He believes it is possible one "rogue" shark was involved in the recent deaths, particularly those in metropolitan waters.

Edwards believes this intelligence means a great white shark does not, as is often suggested, mistake humans for their favourite food - seals.

"I'm sure that great white sharks are very intelligent and I'm sure they know all about us," he said.

Read more: http://www.watoday.c...l#ixzz2GdiIfhrt

http://www.perthnow....u-1226173885712

"AUTHORITIES issued a catch-to-kill order to destroy a rogue shark just one hour after an American man was mauled to death while diving off Rottnest Island today."

Xxxx off its there home, it's not our home! Everyone swims in the sea at there own risk!! Leave sharks alone!!

Edited by metisdead

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/shark-attack-police-name-victim-20111022-1mdhu.html

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/13103258/life-with-seas-feared-killers/

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/shark-attack-police-name-victim-20111022-1mdhu.html#ixzz2GdiIfhrt

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/shark-attack-in-rotto/story-e6frg13u-1226173885712

<deleted>!! He swam in there home expect to get eaten!!

http://www.watoday.c...1022-1mdhu.html

http://au.news.yahoo...feared-killers/

Read more: http://www.watoday.c...l#ixzz2GdiIfhrt

http://www.perthnow....u-1226173885712

<deleted>!! He swam in there home expect to get eaten!!

Haha, that's definitely one way of looking at it . . . Surfing is my passion and I have a love for fascination for sharks. I have seen a wholoe lot of them andI have seen people on beach after minor shark attacks. A friend of mine at NSB got hit in the forearm in 2011 not 300 yards from me during hurricane Irene. dam_n jellies bother me worse and some of the jellies in Australia are very troublesome.

Point is, I was at Ship Sterns off Tasmania with a couple of "mates" about a year ago who were from Western Australia talking about Perth incidents. Pretty much everyone there believes it is or was a roque.

Bullsharks are very aggressive also, but at least their bite is usually limited to limbs or appendages. Great whites tend to take parts of the torso.

Watching too much National Geo though I agree that most attacks are mistaken identity.

It's "Shark week on the Discovery Channel" thank you very much. And just because some people think it is the same great white shark, doesn't mean that it is so. If you're saying there are great whites in the area and multiple sharks make multiple attacks, that I can get. If you're saying (or anyone else saying) that it's one rogue great white eating surfers I just find that hard to believe.

Watching too much National Geo though I agree that most attacks are mistaken identity.

It's "Shark week on the Discovery Channel" thank you very much. And just because some people think it is the same great white shark, doesn't mean that it is so. If you're saying there are great whites in the area and multiple sharks make multiple attacks, that I can get. If you're saying (or anyone else saying) that it's one rogue great white eating surfers I just find that hard to believe.

Not me. Just quoting experts and eyewitness accounts of Perth attacks. Bite patterns, size from witnesses and etc. Not uncommon to get large rowues every now and then and like guy I quoted above, great whites know what they are biting and many go back second and third bite.

Read articles I cited although those were the first to pop up on Google so easy to find.

Edited by F430murci

Top ten recorded shark attack deaths by species at URL below.

Bull Shark unprovoked attacks on 82 humans, killing 25 people

Great White unprovoked attacks on 237 humans, killing 65 people

So roughly the same kill ratios of attacks causing death

http://www.top10stop...ssive-predators

Edited by simple1

Sorry, this is bad info. I live in Bull Shark capital of the world, Florida. On a stretch of east coast between Jackson and Palm Beach, particularly NSB with highest rate of attacks, we have a lot of Bull Shark attacks with very few leading to deaths. Most are just minor hits. You are dealing with bad info. Just check out highest shark attack beaches, but almost zero deaths. I can quote you Bullshark deaths in last 20 years in US if you like. I would sat less than one percent die from Bullshark hits, although they are very aggressive and more prevalent than white sharks.

http://oceana.org/en/our-work/protect-marine-wildlife/sharks/learn-act/shark-attack-statistics

Edited by F430murci

Sorry, this is bad info. I live in Bull Shark capital of the world, Florida. On a stretch of east coast between Jackson and Palm Beach, particularly NSB with highest rate of attacks, we have a lot of Bull Shark attacks with very few leading to deaths. Most are just minor hits. You are dealing with bad info. Just check out highest shark attack beaches, but almost zero deaths. I can quote you Bullshark deaths in last 20 years in US if you like. I would sat less than one percent die from Bullshark hits, although they are very aggressive and more prevalent than white sharks.

http://oceana.org/en...tack-statistics

Figures are recorded worldwide attacks, but nearly the same stats from the Florida Museum of Natural History, or do you wish to also argue their numbers?

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/species3.htm

http://oceana.org/en...tack-statistics

Figures are recorded worldwide attacks, but nearly the same stats from the Florida Museum of Natural History, or do you wish to also argue their numbers?

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/species3.htm

Haha, if you want to believe Bullshark attacks are as deadly as whiteshark attacks so be it. But it ain't true. You are dealing with confirmed attack statics. I am dealing with reality. Haha, if you thing a five foot bull shark sttack is as vicious as as 20 foot great white, that is your prerogative.

I cited figures that said 1 out of 110 dies from Bullshark in Florida.

Edited by F430murci