Best Areas To Live In Chiang Mai

pwllgrgn

:o

chang mai expats

i too am moving to thailand and am wondering where to live until recently this was a no brainer, pattaya, but there is a lot of negative to that choice

joe p

Should we list them here. Possibly not - don't want to destroy the server!

:D

chang mai expats

my second choice would be chang mai, this choice based on what i hear from people, my biggest challenges between now and july is to find out as much about chang mai as i can, if any of you could suggest something i would appreciate it much, what i want to know has already been asked (best place to live).

i like to live close to the activities and i enjoy working out, so my choice of living area would be close to fitness center as well as night life and of coarse i will have a dog.

thanks in advance

joe p

Firstly, read the Chiang Mai section of the Thai Visa forum. from beginning to end. Post questions on the forum when you have a knowledge base from which to ask.

If you want to live close to "activities" you will invariably be close to places to work out. CM is not a large city.

If you decide you are still interested in coming here. Do not jump in immediately with long term leases or property purchases. Rent a short term guest house room or a condo hire a bike or a car and take time to get to know the area. Such time is well worth the investment if you want years of happiness to follow.

Chiang Mai is a great place to live.

i notice in pattaya that they have an expats club that meets every sunday at this one restuarant, city officials are brought in to talk to the expats and explain thing about thailand, pattaya in particular, people like the chief of police, hospital officials, these people were very helpful for newcomers in that city, doe's chang mai have such a club and if so what day of the week do they meet.

thanks in advance

joe p

Chiang Mai has a recently started expats club, which I hesitate to recommend. It seems to be mainly a for-profit organisation organised by recent arrivals here. I know of no long-term expat who is involved, although I may be wrong.

Hi

I have recently posted questions to the Chiang Mai Ex Pats Club(I'm assuming its the same one) and I have been corresponding with a guy who's lived in Thailand for 18 years. He is very helpful and has even gone out of his way to find information out for me. Looking at their website it doesn't seem to me to be for profit.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chiang Mai has a recently started expats club, which I hesitate to recommend. It seems to be mainly a for-profit organisation organised by recent arrivals here. I know of no long-term expat who is involved, although I may be wrong.

I am also suspicious of this group. The only fairly-long-term expat I know that is involved in leadership, seems to do everything for a huge personal profit and is not to be trusted. :o

Back to the original topic. You should definitely come and rent for a year or so, in order to learn Chiang Mai and decide for yourself what area you like best. When you rent, I advise that you stay within the city--let's say inside the superhighway ring, so you can get the feel of the town. I gather that you plan to retire here, which should give you plenty of time to explore the districts close to the city-- San Kampaeng, San Patong, Doi Saket, San Sai, Mae Rim, Hang Dong, Sarapee. Each has its own flavor. It's fair to say that you won't know what you like until you've gone through several months here.

In my opinion, how you live does more to determine your happiness here than where you live. I mean, a house is just a house. But learning the language, meeting people, adopting some Thai ways, and taking a real interest in the society around you will turn you into a real Chiang Mai resident, not just another ex-pat.

Welcome.

Oh, and about the dog, I think there is a German Shepherd owners' club based in Chiang Mai. I sat next to the president once on a flight--very nice older Thai man. See if you can find and contact the club (I don't know how) to ask for advice on your doggie import. At the very least you'll meet some other Shepherd lovers who will take an interest in your situation, and they may have some good tips.

I am also suspicious of this group. The only fairly-long-term expat I know that is involved in leadership, seems to do everything for a huge personal profit and is not to be trusted. :o

Been having a looksee at their site and basically it appears unpretentous and fairly straight forward.

An expat club set up to help folk meet up,talk,interact and do what comes naturally....etc. just like a hundred other similar outfits in Bangers,Patti (all over the joint)Phucket,Nakon Nowhere...Phnom P ,Saigon,Hanoi.Manil........

According to their spin they charge Bt 150 for yearly membership and 80 Bt for Tea ,Coffee & biscuits during their weekly/monthly :D get together......Not really a rip off ..or is it...M.K.jai.

They dont appear to be one of the freeky weird religeous C.M nuthouse "fly me to the stars" zombies and for the sake of meeting up and having a coffee on a boring wet Chiangers winter night during which I might discover something I dont know and be beneficial then I am prepared to check em out....dont be Soooo sus. :D ...may be even on next visit if I have the time.......

:o

thanks to all who replied your insight is priceless, after being a visitor in pattaya for five years i decided that this is a nice town but not what i'm really looking for, from what i have seen and read chang mai might be the place for me i will read and re-read your feed back and visit chang mai and do as some have suggested, walk around see all the areas then make a decision, again many thanks and best wishes

jasper

Best Areas To Live In Chiang Mai

No... its a GOOD subject and we should keep it going.....

So Whos for San Kham Peng :o and does anybody know of any new/good pubs out that way yet...need a beer.... :D

Some parts of Sankampeng are very nice, like around the hotsprings..

But, the hospital sucks, city services are non-existant, security? telephone? You're on your own out here. I used to love isolation, now a good hospital nearby is a bigger consideration... Such is life, I suppose.

Also, stick to established muubaans (gated communities). There are a million dead muubaans around. Many of the older ones are still quite nice, with big trees and security. :o

Frankly, if I was new here, considering settling in, I'd likely be looking more to Chiang Rai...

SUNTITAM. Student ghetto, 24/7, online gaming, cheap cheap cheap, best local yocal bars in town.

Not for the ex-pats but for the next-pats. Think of the Chiang Mai version of NYC Williamsburg with a 3 beer Chang for 95Baht vibe.

The best. Close thread now.

Its on Chang Puek road right?? Near Novotel? Where exactly??? I wanna be a student again!

> Its on Chang Puek road right?? Near Novotel? Where

> exactly??? I wanna be a student again!

If you wanna be with students again then really the way to go is hang out at CMU...

Santitham always had a bit of a reputation, first of all because that's where the cheapo brothels were, secondly because the area is popular with lower paid 'import' workers from other parts of Thailand living in all the apartment buldings there. That said, it's possible that the area has a lot of potential for the future.

It's basically the area you get to when you drive straight North at the North Eastern city corner, near Central. Next 'sort of' main road take a left, (before the road goes up to cross a stream of some sort), then you get to the 5-way Santitham intersection. That's kind of the middle of it.

Frankly, if I was new here, considering settling in, I'd likely be looking more to Chiang Rai...

I agree with these sentiments. If I had no children to educate I still might look there, or possibly more likely Luang Prabang. Can't help feel that CM is becoming somewhat crowded these days.

I agree with these sentiments. If I had no children to educate I still might look there, or possibly more likely Luang Prabang. Can't help feel that CM is becoming somewhat crowded these days.

Chiang Rai has always been the solution for all those who complain about CM's traffic, being too crowded, having too many McDonalds and Starbucks, too many Farangs, too many lady bars, too much pollution and so on, but everyone keeps coming here instead of moving three hours away to this quiet Shangri-la.

I have never understood why. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Chiang Rai has always been the solution for all those who complain about CM's traffic, being too crowded, having too many McDonalds and Starbucks, too many Farangs, too many lady bars, too much pollution and so on, but everyone keeps coming here instead of moving three hours away to this quiet Shangri-la.

I have never understood why. :o

Chiang Rai <--- too many police posts :D..

Chiang Rai <---- Not enough McDonalds.

Chiang Mai <---- Still don't get it why they don't have McDonalds in Airport Plaza or Kad Suan Keaw. McDonalds is the first restaurant to open in any mall that I have been to in other countries.

Farangs in Chiang Mai <-------- Too much committed here. Too late to move to anywhere else. Pollution has become the daily early morning drug. Hooked on it.

:D:D

Chiang Mai <---- Still don't get it why they don't have McDonalds in Airport Plaza or Kad Suan Keaw. McDonalds is the first restaurant to open in any mall that I have been to in other countries.

McDonalds???????????????? :o

Sorry, but I truly believe this country hit the heavy downhill when US fast food joints started spreading "‘like monstrous carbuncles on the face of a well-loved friend’, to misquote Prince Charles.. but perhaps I am a bit too old-fashioned for today's lifestyle.

McDonalds???????????????? :o

Sorry, but I truly believe this country hit the heavy downhill when US fast food joints started spreading "‘like monstrous carbuncles on the face of a well-loved friend’, to misquote Prince Charles.. but perhaps I am a bit too old-fashioned for today's lifestyle.

Sure, sure, but I'd say that most of us have still enjoyed a respite there... :D

McDonalds???????????????? :D

As I recall, The Easy Diner, here in Chiang Mai, was an English-owned, American fast food joint with burgers, fries, onion rings, milk shakes etc.

Is this the sort of dining monstrosity that you are constantly objecting to? :o

McDonalds???????????????? :D

Sure, sure, but I'd say that most of us have still enjoyed a respite there... :D

No arguments there - almost impossible to stay away when you have young children. But that doesn't make it any better.

Eat good healthy Thai en-famille for under 100 Baht. Fast food equivalent almost four times the price and not a patch on the health benefits. Can even eat much better at Mikes or equivalent for similar prices. But they don't give "free toys"

Oh well...

As I recall, The Easy Diner, here in Chiang Mai, was an English-owned, American fast food joint with burgers, fries, onion rings, milk shakes etc.

Are you seriously comparing Easy Diner - with all the the freshly home-made food - healthy salads - pastas, pies, fresh fruit, thick malts and floats - freshly made fruit juices, teas, coffees etc. with McDonalds?

I would like to think there was some small difference in the fayre? Or do you not think so?

Are you seriously comparing Easy Diner - with all the the freshly home-made food - healthy salads - pastas, pies, fresh fruit, thick malts and floats - freshly made fruit juices, teas, coffees etc. with McDonalds?

I would like to think there was some small difference in the fayre? Or do you not think so?

Well... it was more expensive and the service was slower... :D , but to be serious, many fast food restaurants in the US - including McDonalds - offer salads, baked potatoes, vegetarian entrees, high quality coffees, fresh baked goods and other healthy choices, but they are still lumped together as "junk food" with places like the Easy Diner.

Does it seem fair to you when the shoe is on the other foot? :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

Well... it was more expensive and the service was slower... :D , but to be serious, many fast food restaurants in the US - including McDonalds - offer salads, baked potatoes, vegetarian entrees, high quality coffees, fresh baked goods and other healthy choices, but they are still lumped together as "junk food" with places like the Easy Diner.

Does it seem fair to you when the shoe is on the other foot? :o

I think we are seriously off topic with this discussion, however I take your point.

The point I was making though was the noticeably appreciable change in many aspects of Thai society with the advent of “Fast Food”.

In the sixties, through to the mid to late seventies, an obese Thai was rare enough to be worthy of comment. Often enough, when one got to talk to them, one found they were spending significant amounts of time overseas and had developed a taste for our high calorie foods there.

Nowadays obesity is almost the norm, (I know I can not preach, being severely overweight myself,) but it depresses me all the same.

Again, going back some 30 or so years: Eating out in friends’ houses, the meals comprised massive amounts of healthy ingredients; fresh, often raw vegetables, fish and small amounts of meat with rice. Nowadays, one is almost likely as not to find lumps of K-Fried Chuck, (or the market equivalent,) french fries (cold), even cold McD’s burgers and much less in terms of veg etc.

It does depress me.

Recon that they are here to stay....none in S.K.P yet but... :o

latest bit of info.....

Obesity fears

McDonalds, which operates 30,000 restaurants worldwide, has faced growing criticism that its foods are unhealthy and fattening at a time when obesity levels in many countries are soaring.

MCDONALD'S AT 50

Is the burger giant starting to show its age?

The company has already revamped its menu, and now serves salads and fruit alongside hamburgers, fries and milkshakes.

But critics said the new McDonald's advert could be misleading for some children.

"If they are telling kids to eat vegetables, they should have the food to back that up and they should make it attractive and fun and interesting like the Happy Meals," said Samantha Heller, a clinical nutritionist and exercise physiologist at New York University

meanwhile.....

McDonald's to close 25 UK outlets

Fast-food chain McDonald's is closing 25 branches in a bid to improve profits at its struggling UK operations.

It is currently in talks with staff, but a spokeswoman said most of the closures would be older "high street" restaurants

McDonalds has 1,250 UK restaurants and has seen its global sales top $20bn (£11bn) for the first time in the company's history. :D

As you know, I also have a big weight problem.

I just wish that there were more good health food vegetarian places with an International menu around, as I get bored of Thai, Thai, Thai.

I don't think that one has to be vegetarian to be healthy, but, in general, these seem to be the healthiest places to eat, and they can be soooo good, but there just aren't many non-Thai ones around.

:o Sorry, back to best areas to live in Chiang Mai.

To follow up... K.w been telling me that there is a new (or so it seems) fresh fruit and veg market just opened up just before the turn off at the Highlands Golf Spar resort on the San KP Road..?

Although its about 35 Cliks outta C.M its a quiet road and could make a nice day out.

One day in future when I get organised I will do the TV BBQ at our place in Mae On....but as they say ...not yet...

Also last visit to said Golf club it was ready to open and believe now it has ...anyone been-seen-visited?

The owner told me that they have plans for a clubhouse (got Hon membership)a hotel and a load of new Hi-So Houses...bit peng @Bt.10 M. plus so should be looking good.... :o

To follow up... K.w been telling me that there is a new (or so it seems) fresh fruit and veg market just opened up just before the turn off at the Highlands Golf Spar resort on the San KP Road..?

Although its about 35 Cliks outta C.M its a quiet road and could make a nice day out.

One day in future when I get organised I will do the TV BBQ at our place in Mae On....but as they say ...not yet...

Also last visit to said Golf club it was ready to open and believe now it has ...anyone been-seen-visited?

The owner told me that they have plans for a clubhouse (got Hon membership)a hotel and a load of new Hi-So Houses...bit peng @Bt.10 M. plus so should be looking good.... :o

Played there yesterday, without question the most beautiful course around CM, some say even better than Santiburi, and as a bonus very quiet.

The clubhouse is still under construction, but will be big. The temp. clubhouse will be sold later on as a house after some reconstruction.

The place is owned by the Thaksin clan, so perhaps you spoke with the farang manager.

Did not notice any fresh market nearby, but can easily have missed it.

... once again a thread with an OP on something different - turns into a lenghty exchange about food and eating places between the usual suspects. That's okay ofcourse - but as a non-native speaker i sort of see a similarity between 'obesity' and 'obsession'. Please, do continue ...

Played there yesterday, without question the most beautiful course around CM, some say even better than Santiburi, and as a bonus very quiet.

The clubhouse is still under construction, but will be big. The temp. clubhouse will be sold later on as a house after some reconstruction.

The place is owned by the Thaksin clan, so perhaps you spoke with the farang manager.

Did not notice any fresh market nearby, but can easily have missed it.

Sounds really good and looking foward to next visit :D

Re:spoke to the farang manager...err...... No..... we dont speak to the hired help :D

Well I quite enjoy living in a somewhat isolated rural village when in-country, but the primary reason I can enjoy such a lifestyle is that it is my wife's native village and I have lots of family as neighbors for support. I doubt an ex-pat would be happy in a farming community if it was not your spouse's home village. We are now only a 15 minute drive from Mae Rim, a town that supports a large number of karatchakaans (bureacrats) who work in the government and military offices nearby. There are few needs that can not be obtained in Mae Rim and there is a delightful traditional market market for fresh fruit, vegetables, and meat. Although such Thai towns as Mae Rim are rather abysmal from an outside architectural perspective, I enjoy being greeted by name from the local store and stall merchants.

But if I were looking for somewhere else to reside in the region, I have always thought that Chiang Dao would be worth a look. It is a beautiful area, a fun town, and has a diverse population. It is not an ex-pat oasis and this is an option better suited for one who speaks Thai and can use a Thai style commode, but with the vastly improved highway now providing a fairly easy, quick, and safe commute into the big city, it is becoming even more attractive than before.

Maybe you should consider being properly settled before you bring you dog. Are you totally sure about retiring in Thailand - it's easy to bring your dog in, but very expensive to return it to the UK.

I know someone who was stung AUS$70,000 for five dogs in quarantine kennels in the UK for 6 months and their airfares from TH-UK-AUS. The dogs were treated badly in the quarantine kennels and the facility was shut down after a visit from the Government. They were not walked nor fed properly. One had a dislocated jaw.

• 1 year later...
Hi

We are considering moving to Chaing Mai from UK in 2007. Our other choices are Chiang Rai or Phuket. We will be bringing our German Shepherd with us, have no option cannot possibly leave him in UK. We will need to rent a house before we arrive. Can anyone reccommend where to find pet friendly rentals? Also which are the best areas to live in? We would like somewhere nice and quiet.

Hi there,

Very interested in the above, did you get sorted?. We are travelling out in early July with our Golden Lab and Jack Russell. They are both fully pet passported (vacs etc). We are struggling to find a place to rent which is suitable for a lovely UK family of 4 (2 children) and 2 pooches.

Any info would be brilliant.

Very best regards,

Melanie Tennant

Many, if not most of the residential estates around Chiang Mai have houses for rent and most of thesewill have no problems with pets. Indeed, many positively welcome them.

There are also several kennels and dog rescue centers that would be only too happy to look sfter your dogs for a short time as you get settled, especially if you could make a donation towards the general running costs. I know we would!

Hah, sorry to bring this 1+ year old post back to life. For me it's a two-fold issue: on the one hand I make a living in Chiang Mai, and that means the more the place gets on the map (not just tourist map but I mean business / development map) the better it is for me. Currently when talking with Bangkok customers and you say you're based in Chiang Mai there's an almost audible 'Huh?', 'How can you be a professional business and not be in Bangkok'. (Something similar applies internationally: 'Huh, how can you be a professional business and be in Thailand'. Then Chiang Mai or Bangkok doesn't matter that much anymore. :D

So that's one side: From that point of view I'd like Chiang Mai to grow and indeed that seems to be coming along nicely. :D

On the other side there's what attracted me to Chiang Mai originally, mainly that it wasn't as huge/expensive/stressful as Bangkok, while still offering enough civilization and culture. I still feel that this is true, every trip to Bangkok I want to get out of there ASAP, AND I also feel that while Chiang Mai is growing, this growth is managed FAR better than when Bangkok had its boom which resulted in a complete nightmare to traffic and quality of life. Just this morning driving to work I noticed again how little traffic there is in morning rush hour on the ring roads.. Without those rings though, and with the effect they have channelling development towards them, imagine what the city area would be like..

Chiang Rai has always been the solution for all those who complain about CM's traffic, being too crowded, having too many McDonalds and Starbucks, too many Farangs, too many lady bars, too much pollution and so on, but everyone keeps coming here instead of moving three hours away to this quiet Shangri-la. I have never understood why. :o

Oh I understand. Most importantly because Chiang Rai isn't that, especially not from a tourist point of view. [pet peeve coming up] Some people seem to choose Chiang Rai because it seems a logical alternative to Chiang Mai, and as it's furhter away it must be less touristy. Rubbish! The tourist center of Chiang Rai is just as touristy as the tourist center of Chiang Mai; you wouldn't want to stay in either if you don't like things touristy. However with Chiang Rai there's just less of everything, including things to see and do. And then the countryside around Chiang Rai (town) is mostly flat rice fields.. Sure further away there's Doi Mae Salong and all that, but then you get a bit further away. In Chiang Mai you can drive straight up a mountain when leaving town and not get out of the mountains until Mae Hong Son and for that you better bring a dirt bike or 4WD and it better not rain or you'll be having your own Camel Trophy experience.

So, if Chiang Rai isn't that, that doesn't mean there aren't places that are. :D P1p mentioned Luang Prabang (also having a bit of a tourist boom, but I can't help but think that historically and in terms of feel, that place is the closest to what Chiang Mai was.). Sticking to Thailand, it would probably be places like Phrae that come closest. (Or fill in your favorite untouristed locale, Mae Hong Son, Nan, Loei, or going over fully North East: Khon Kaen and all those)

Cheers,

Chanchao